OpenOffice.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafael

Deregistered
Jul 5, 2007
Has anyone use this free Microsoft Office alternative?

Is it able to save and open MS Office files as claim?
If possible, does it retain it's original format intact?

If it is as good as it claims, it's time to dump MS Office (so expensive).

I have just downloaded the latest suit for Windows XP and am trying out.
Probably take some time to evaluate.

Anyone has practical experience with this free product on Windows and Mac platforms please share.

Thanks. :)

Unfortunately it has no Personal Information Manager (PIM, Outlook equivalent).

i am using the open office word n excel equivalent in vista with no issues. u can open word docs and edit in open office. some formatting from word doc might be slightly off but no major issues. :D

have been using it for a few years, done a couple of presentations with ''Impress'' as well, so far so good.

I use that too, since I rarely use M$office need to open those files at home.

Why risk getting a p-rated copy when there is a legit free license similar to that?

I dont use all the functionality of M$office anyway, which is why open office is good enough.

If you occasionally spammed by friends with powerpoint presentation files which contain nice images or photos, you can download powerpoint viewer from M$ website for free (please download from M$ website only and none of those "mirror" or "filestorage" website as those might be corruped, virus/trojan loaded, etc).

Unfortunately it has no Personal Information Manager (PIM, Outlook equivalent).

Can always supplement with Mozilla Thunderbird + Lightning.
That's what I did. Still beta though, but at least it gets the job done and it's free.

I like the the calendar in Lighning, because I can easily sync with google calendar, due to the same format.

hate it

when i left army i remember they were switching to it , and all the old aunties were crying bloody murder :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I've been using OO for about 4 years.. since 1.x? I would say there is almost no learning required and nothing much to get used to.. all menu items are almost the same at office including the menu items and shortcuts. eg: Alt-I, B, enter give you a page break, same as MS Office.

I've tried OO, star office and lotus symphony, so far I feel OO is the best of the lot. Hack the .doc compatibility, I always save as .odt and if needed, I'll just send out as pdf.

I've used OO for years as I use a Linux desktop - at work. (I work somewhere were we are free to chose what ever we want. Most colleagues of course, use Windows, but we actually have more Linux/OO users than Macs user!)

It can load/save the older Microsoft formats perfectly fine. There are some times issues with fonts - particularly if you are using Linux as Linux doesn't have the same fonts as Windows - the popular Windows fonts are not free, so the Linux packagers just can't package the fonts into the system.
But these problems are similar to opening the same document on a Mac with Office Mac - the Mac's font metrics are subtly different to the Windows ones and formatting can subtly change as result.

OO will happily open the new MS Office files, but I don't know how well it keeps the formatting or if it can save in that format. I know there are legal issues with Open Source products supporting the new MS formats due to the way MS have licensed and patented aspects of their format.

The biggest thing I've found problems with is macro laden Word and Excel documents. OO's macro interpretor is not nearly as 'compatible' as the document layout parts. I've run into a couple of cases where macro's had been used to make 'forms' in Word and Excel that OO just can't parse properly. I HAD to use MS Office on these files.
And one other time when I had to fill out a table hosted on a Microsoft Sharepoint Server - not only did I have to use IE, Office had to be installed on the machine as well, or the 'online form' didn't work!. (Sharepoint tables use ActiveX to call Excel to do the data entry!)

From my experience, I was say about 90% of the population could do what they need with OO perfectly fine and be none the wiser for doing do.
Accounting types tend to push Excel harder than OOCalc can go. Excel has far better charting for those all important pretty graphics to send to management.

A kinda funny OO story I have is being asked to attend a 'management retreat' as their pet IT person in case something went wrong with the technology. So I arrive, check the projectors, etc and retreat up the back with my Linux laptop, connect to the wireless and start to read my email and work on things remotely. Then the big bosses PA turns up and asks were the computer is. I had expected them to bring their own machines. They didn't, and they hadn't booked any of the loaners. The only machine available was my Linux only laptop.
The big bosses Powerpoint presentation was shown using OOImpress on Linux and he was none the wiser.....

i've been using openoffice for over a year. so far so good. just have to be more careful when saving the document so that it opens properly on MS Word.

it's also handy when u need to create a PDF version of the word document.

My company has just announced that we're gonna dump Microsoft Office for OpenOffice... all in the name of cost cutting..... otherwise how do we obtain the record profits.. Nt looking forward to it.

My company has just announced that we're gonna dump Microsoft Office for OpenOffice... all in the name of cost cutting..... otherwise how do we obtain the record profits.. Nt looking forward to it.

I don't quite understand. If your company has already bought the licenses for MS Office, it doesn't matter whether you dump it or not cos the cost has already been incurred. Usually offices has group licenses for xxx number of users. So it shouldn't affect your profit records.

I do not see why you shouldn't be looking forward to it. What functions of M$ office do you use so frequently that is lacking in OO that you cannot live with?

Actually I support your management's move to take up open office because there are still many bosses who have never heard of OO and would never believe that OO is FREE and the irony is that they complain how expensive it is to setup a PC for a new employee because of all the software licenses they have to buy.

I would recommend Microsoft office 2007. =P

OO is free, for a start and it works well with all the basic features you expected. I am supportive of OO.

If you ever wonder why you pay so much for the PC, try googling how much of a desktop or laptop's margins goes into the hardware and software. You will be surprise.

As an another example, Asus EEPC is able to price so competitively is because it is based on Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.