Open Source - Anyone here using Ubuntu and their suite of programs for their business

Status
Not open for further replies.

germ_boi

Oct 3, 2003
Sedna, Orion Stars
Visit site
Dear friends,

Firstly, people who come in might ask, what exactly is Ubuntu? Ubuntu is a Open Source Operating System based on the Linux system. It is one of the most popular OS Operating Systems around after the commercial Red-Hat or Fedora. To read more about it you can go here.

Currently, other than my Operating System which is Windows, the other programs I have are mostly open source. Trillian for instant messaging, Foxit Reader for Acrobat files, Firefox, Pdf995 for converting my files to PDF format and so forth. Oh ya, most importantly, I use OpenOffice. The only non-open source program I have is Photoshop which unfortunately up to now, GimpShop Pro is unable to ablely replicate the functions especially plug-ins wise. Of course, the only reason for me to go Open Source is the $$$, as well as the joy/pain of learning how to install these ubiquitous programs.

I know that currently Photoshop is unable to go Linux or open source so for photographers here, using Ubuntu is a no-no. However, we only use Photoshop at home, what I am asking is from a purely business stand-point, is it feasible, or possible to be purely Open Source? (Original Software for business can easily set a SME by $2,000?)

The main attractions of open source is of course the $$$ and the fines if caught by the authorities, and thereafter, the lack of viruses since most virus writers wont target such a small minority. Anyone who's business or office have gone fully OpenSource?

Is there any problems with Software, Hardware(printer, modem) drivers, or inconveniences you have to face? How about printers, usually I see now in my Brother MFC Printer is only Windows and Mac versions, how to install Linux or Ubuntu versions?

I am now very interested because in future, if I start my own business, these are factors I want to consider. Anyone with real world experience, please help!

And if possible, can let me go your office to take a look? haha.

Cheers!

Jeremy

I would rather use SUSE. There's always GIMP.

is SUSE better? i'm still pretty new on the Open Source OS scene.

SUSE is free right? It seems pretty complete too, SUSE site.

edit: SUSE is not free. Isn't the point of jumping over to OS about the "free" factor? Or is it that SUSE is slightly cheaper. I am really not sure, perhaps I have to experience the SUSE operating system to truly understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.