Oof?? Dof??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chang.jin

Jul 15, 2006
hi guys.. been some time that I have signed in to say hello to you guys. :embrass: have one question for you all.. I was shooting with my new 50mm f/1.4 and tested it on my model. I shot at f/1.8 and f/1.4, as I want to shoot her full length, I backed off slightly. unexpectedly, the prints came out blurry.. I would like to know:

1. What is this phenomenon called?
  2. What caused this?
  3. How to prevent such thing from happening again?

thanks in advance! :kiss: signing off!

this is because of the shallow depth of field therefore u focus on that point of the model, then you step back. its gone already...out of focus. so u should step back..and refocus again ;)

i assume you focused and then step a step back to shoot without refocusing again. if that the case it would be both.
if you did refocused, but still blur that might be due to focusing on the wrong point

thanks for the answers.. I re focused already, guys.. made sure that the focusing is correct before I shot.. could DOF blur be caused by me standing too far away, even with focusing?? :dunno: will the image be affected if I focused at something quite far.. like, a group of people in low light, will they all be blurred by DOF??

chang.jin said:
thanks for the answers.. I re focused already, guys.. made sure that the focusing is correct before I shot.. could DOF blur be caused by me standing too far away, even with focusing?? :dunno: will the image be affected if I focused at something quite far.. like, a group of people in low light, will they all be blurred by DOF??

actually the furthur u stand from ur subject the deeper the dof you will get, thus chance of having lesser dof blur is lesser. for group, it is recommanded you stop down ur aperture to f8 or even mroe depending on situation.
if you have already refocused i guess it might be due to ur camera focused somewhere again before you completely depress the shutter button (that will be the case if you recomposed/shake after focus locking on subject) i tried 50mm f1.8 to shoot full-body before, getting focus ain't hard since dof is pretty much at that distance, but would be a different story if it was a close up. ;)

Agree with Alex. No point for us guessing your problem.

Post the problem picture and ppl will know the true problem.

it might also due to your handshake.

Could possibly be too slow shutter speed due to low light condition.

Won't be able to answer threadstarter unless he posts a sample picture with EXIF intact.

jbma said:
Just step back and refocus lah. You should always do the composition first and must check the focus just before pressing the shutter button.

Threadstarter already did that. See post #4 in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.