Only small cameras in botanical gardens allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamapi

Deregistered
Feb 27, 2008
Rules and Regulation of Singapore Botanic Gardens

As the Singapore Botanic Gardens (herewith known as Gardens) is home to many native and exotic plants and trees as well as a number of trees protected by law as Heritage Trees. Kindly understand that only simple, no frills filming or photography are allowed in the Gardens. Common or standard filming or photography methods used in other protected/ high maintenance locations might not be suitable for the Gardens.

In Brief:
Do not damage/ modify the plants, turf, park furniture or structures, or attach anything to
Do not set up tents, banners or furniture in the Gardens.
Do not disturb other visitors or create a nuisance and do not obstruct any path or access.
Use of motor vehicles (including motor or micro-scooters), and other forms of wheeled modes of transportation is not permitted.
Keep all dogs on leash and to clean up after your dog.

Regulations Pertaining to Filming/ Photography in the Gardens
• Usage of power points found around the Garden is not permitted.
• Do not block off any areas (e.g. toilet, shelter, pathway) within our Gardens for your exclusive use.
• Please keep unnecessary items/ equipment in your vehicles.
• No setting up of tents, umbrella, shelter, chairs, benches, buffet lines for casts/ talent or crews
• No set-up of props, background, decoration or any alteration to the Gardens’ lawns, trees, plants or structures.

Equipment, Props and Scenes:
You are allowed to bring in:
• A small Camera (Video or still).
• A tripod for the camera.
• Boom mike (hand-held cannot be on tripod or C-stand), feedback monitor or hand-held reflactors.
• All other makes of video or photographic equipment, C-stands, lightings or light stands, all kind of tracks and power generating devices are not allowed.

No using of small props or scenes that go against or challenge the Gardens’ rules like:
• Swimming, fishing, boating, cycling, roller skating/ blading, driving, martial arts scenes.
• Or posing with props that suggested the activity even though the talent/ cast is not doing it (e.g. posing on a bicycle or posing with swimsuit).
• Any scene/s deemed not suitable by the Gardens.

Areas Not Suitable or Not Permitted for Filming/ Photo shoot:
• All 4 major entrance areas (Tanglin Gate/ Green Pavilion, Visitor Centre, National Orchid Garden’s entrance pavilion and Children’s Garden Visitor Centre) and its immediate surrounding areas like Palm Court, Viewing Terrace, Cascade Garden, E-kiosk and Orchid Plaza.
• Areas within Rainforest and Jacob Ballas Children’s Garden
• Shaw Foundation Symphony Stage
• Office Buildings like Holttum Hall, Ridley Hall, NParks HQ, Raffles Building and the Garage
• Car Parks within the Gardens
• Shops and F&B outlets (including the immediate surrounding areas)

The list is not exhaustive. Kindly check if you are unsure to prevent any misunderstanding.
Your cooperation in observing the National Parks Act (Cap 198A), Parks and Trees Act (Cap 216) and its Regulations is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I did some enquiries and upon receoving this attached document from the local botanical garden,i felt as if DSLR are not allowed.

ANyone care to comment?

small:
sony_first_dslr.jpg

still small:
samsung_slr.jpg

pushing it:
Big%20Camera.jpg

definitely too big:
2432775335_c855477bfd_o.jpg

way past the limit :
2433590360_f2a09dc027_o.jpg

jokes aside, you can bring dslr to shoot, people have doen it since forever

haha! I love the response. Did you actually go find those pics online for this post?

DSLR allowed...

Basically the small camera rule means no massive movie film shoot setups.

I called and asked before about this matter. If you are a hobbyist or professional taking pictures with a DSLR, you are most welcome. But once you start to have actors, many models, lights, crew running around.... its a no no....

To add, you are most welcome to take pictures of the plants,the ground, the sky..... but then dont go use models and take stock pictures etc.

DSLR allowed...

Basically the small camera rule means no massive movie film shoot setups.

I called and asked before about this matter. If you are a hobbyist or professional taking pictures with a DSLR, you are most welcome. But once you start to have actors, many models, lights, crew running around.... its a no no....

To add, you are most welcome to take pictures of the plants,the ground, the sky..... but then dont go use models and take stock pictures etc.

But i'm intending to do a model shoot and with 2 models.
I already stated that in the email but i wonder if e overlooked it

Apologies, you didn't state in your opening post. Thought you are asking about size of camera.

Well honestly I would say to you, if possible find an alternative location for your shoot. I once wanted to do a shoot there and the staff was nice enough to tell me frankly that Botanic Gardens don't allow commercial shoots at all. Hence all this rules and regulations. However they don't want to put a blanket ban on all filming or photography.

If you really want to go ahead, best to secure a permit if they give you one. If you can't get one, don't bother.... you are definitely going to get stopped by the rangers.

many wedding couples have done their wedding portrait in the Botanic Gardens, the photographers are professional, the NP have no issue with that.

but you are not allow to have extensive set up for your shots, like off camera flash, additional lighting etc.

Apologies, you didn't state in your opening post. Thought you are asking about size of camera.

Well honestly I would say to you, if possible find an alternative location for your shoot. I once wanted to do a shoot there and the staff was nice enough to tell me frankly that Botanic Gardens don't allow commercial shoots at all. Hence all this rules and regulations. However they don't want to put a blanket ban on all filming or photography.

If you really want to go ahead, best to secure a permit if they give you one. If you can't get one, don't bother.... you are definitely going to get stopped by the rangers.

Hmm..i did included that it there will be 2 models but the shoot is purely port folio usage and non-commercial.

there have been model shoots in botanic gardens before

so long as you don't create too much fuss, i think no issue

Hmm..i did included that it there will be 2 models but the shoot is purely port folio usage and non-commercial.
ah boy boy you yourself make things so complicated, since you are not selling the photo for commercial usage, just tell them you are learning taking photo with your two friends.

No problems.

Actually I think there was someone once using a 4" x 5" field cam there with no problems.

Besides damage to the plants and environment, I think the board is more concerned about safety and inconvenience to visitors as the gardens receives tons lot of tourists besides locals, and at peak times (mid am and later afternoons on weekends and PH esp), there could be thousands squeezing through some of the more popular areas, service areas, F&B areas etc. Believe me, at high peak periods, it almost feels like some NDP human jam.

If we take precautions and just remember to be mindful of others and not inconvenience anyone, I don't think we'll be kicked out. It's up to us to continue preserving that privilege.

I think the rules are juz a guideline.

Juz be tactical about it and dun inconvinence/disturb others and I think they'll be ok abt it.

there have been model shoots in botanic gardens before

so long as you don't create too much fuss, i think no issue

IMHO, generally model shooting should be ok except the following CS-organised types:

1. 4 models and 24 shooters + 4 organisers/assistants + drinks + homemade breakfast, or
2. OSM + 8 shooters + giant reflector + air-blower + portable generator, or
3. OSM + fine art + glamour + nude (depending on actual day situation), or
4. model in see-thru white blouse with no pant on, etc..... :dunno:

4. model in see-thru white blouse with no pant on, etc..... :dunno:

see through white blouse with no pants on

are you sure got this type of organised shot

that sort of thread straight away no response

all gwc bleed to death from their nose

see through white blouse with no pants on

are you sure got this type of organised shot

that sort of thread straight away no response

all gwc bleed to death from their nose

then if like that point 3 will thrash that already.. i wonder how they die. haha

Go on weekend morning and shoot people practise martial art, they very friendly, will pose for your FOC, no need to hire model ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.