Only Pros shoot in Manual mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabmy

Jan 19, 2009
Simei
Hi everyone, i am a newbie not only to CS but also to DSLR photography. I have this curious thinking as to whether is it a shame to own a DSLR but you only choose to shoot with Auto and Scene modes or at the very best in S or A mode. I am just curios because sometimes, when i choose to shoot something and i switch it to any of the mentioned modes, i felt like its a disgrace to do so and will still stick to manual mode and try my very best at capturing that "perfect" moment. My weakness is that i have a hand that is as steady as a blade of grass being blown by a gust of wind. I know using a tripod could help and i am not ashame to use it but just wondering though that if any of you choose not to shoot in manual mode also think that it is really an insulting thing to do. Please kindly share your thoughts and advises. Thank You.:)

Most Pros use A,S or P mode as they need to get the shot right at the 1st time, only during studio and controlled environment, M will be used, like using a light meter.

Just think about it, if its film, it doesn't matter if the shot is taken in A, S, P or M, as long as its nice and delivered. Only when now exif data is available that ppl are more conscious about which mode they are using.

Hi everyone, i am a newbie not only to CS but also to DSLR photography. I have this curious thinking as to whether is it a shame to own a DSLR but you only choose to shoot with Auto and Scene modes or at the very best in S or A mode. I am just curios because sometimes, when i choose to shoot something and i switch it to any of the mentioned modes, i felt like its a disgrace to do so and will still stick to manual mode and try my very best at capturing that "perfect" moment. My weakness is that i have a hand that is as steady as a blade of grass being blown by a gust of wind. I know using a tripod could help and i am not ashame to use it but just wondering though that if any of you choose not to shoot in manual mode also think that it is really an insulting thing to do. Please kindly share your thoughts and advises. Thank You.:)
If your hands is so shaky, and if you die die want to use manual mode, just set high shutter speed in manual mode? Of cos I meant daytime :p

really depends how the software for the camera is designed. i find that in terms of software, Sony DSLR cameras are light years ahead of the rest. Most users use Manual because the preset exposure settings implementation are outright horrid or hinders their technique.

Nearly correct answer above.

Simplified

M for: studio with flash, as your lighting won't change. But outdoor with real strobes - not your clip on flash - is also shot with M.

A for: for most other situations, as you want to control your depth of field

S for: sports, when you need to make sure you get fast shutter OR potentially when you shoot with a long lens, say above 150 mm; and want to avoid going too slow and be prone to camera shake

Again - simplified. I'm sure everyone else will have a different opinion :cool:

a pro that i know uses only M mode. another switches modes depending on situation

some pple think they are pro, and therefore only use M mode. too bad for them.

i'll use whatever it takes to get my pic. usually Aperture priority. if i'm using flash, usually M mode. the flash's TTL does all the work for exposure :angel:

i occasionally use program mode under very good lighting conditions. normally, i use A cos lighting is seldom enuff, i wanna "jam" the lens at a bigger aperture ;p

i'm just a hobby shooter btw. ;)

Doesn't matter what mode you use as long as you get the picture you want. I shoot in P mode at times too.

Don't care BLACK CAT or WHITE CAT. For those who can RATS are good cat.
What you want is to take a good image.

Even Pro's shoot on P Mode, and they refer to it as "Professional" Mode. ;)

The camera and the settings are tools for you to use. Use the right tool for the right purpose. No point of using any mode just for the sake of it (because it's there) or any other lame reputation reason (M for Pros). Get rid of that thinking and use whatever mode or setting helps you to nail the shot in the way you like to have it. Post the pictures here for critics if you like and you'll get some feedback of how to improve or do things differently if others feel it might be better.

Double post.

It is quite amusing to see these kind of threads once in a while (joking), but pros do use a variety of modes as long as it suits their preferences. :)

I shoot all except the Auto and the scene modes.

Events - M and A mode. M mode because I want consistency. A mode when I need the speed in fast changing conditions.

Portraits - M and A mode.

Landscapes - M mode for full control

Product and still life - M mode for full control

Street - A mode for speed

Sports - A or S mode

When pass the camera to friends I set it to P mode.

This got nothing to do with Pros or amateurs.

Some professional swimmers wear a certain brand of swimming trunks. Some amateur swimmers also wear that brand.

Some professional swimmers wear their swimming trunks inside out. Some amateur also wear their swimming trunks inside out.

Its PERSONAL style and preferences. (Of course when doing some type of shots Manual is better)

Nearly correct answer above.

Simplified

M for: studio with flash, as your lighting won't change. But outdoor with real strobes - not your clip on flash - is also shot with M.

A for: for most other situations, as you want to control your depth of field

S for: sports, when you need to make sure you get fast shutter OR potentially when you shoot with a long lens, say above 150 mm; and want to avoid going too slow and be prone to camera shake

Again - simplified. I'm sure everyone else will have a different opinion :cool:

aiyo, isn't all that metered with light meter? hence M mode mah...

u dun use light meter to meter those mini external flashes set to wireless rite.

Turn "Pro" by shooting exclusively in M mode!!

If that makes you happy... Haha!

In any case, I do not think so.

LOL, after reading everyone's post i actually feel alot better. I will never be ashame again to use any of the modes now to suite my shooting style. Thank you so much to all for sharing your pov on this matter. I always thought the pros will only shoot strictly in nothing but M mode only since it gave them full control over their camera's. This in turn motivates me to learn more about my camera by using M mode only, rather then to always rely on any other modes especially auto. But with everyone's advises here, i will be more smarter next time. :)

I am not a pro but i use solely M mode. With the help of the built-in light meter, its just offers the greatest amount of flexibility. You dun have to care about expousre compensation. Aperture, shutter and iso all at the tips of your fingers. It just doesnt make sense, for example, in Aperture-priority, with the iso fixed, the camera sets whatever shutter speed with my chosen aperture to maintain the proper exposure (or what the camera thinks). If I need some compensation, I would need to adjust it specifically. M mode simply gives me the flexibility of adjusting the shutter on the fly as well and whatever exposure compensation is needed, I just read off the light meter.

try to shoot in P mode.

cus, P stands for Professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.