Online Printing Services in SG

Status
Not open for further replies.

alankuik

Jan 26, 2004
Toa Payoh
www.picturesky.com
I've did some research, and it's obvious why online printing isn't taking off in SG.

27cents - www.Picturesky.com
35cents - www.hotprint.com.sg
35cents - www.netsimaging.com.sg
35cents - www.kodakexpress.com.sg
40cents - www.99photo.com
45cents - www.fotohub.com
50cents - www.fujifilm.com.sg

with majority of online printers charging more than our walk in prices of 30cents at minilabs, no wonder people still choose to pop by the shops.

fyi, this is an unbiased collection of data although i'm from picturesky
refer to the respective sites for verification of the prices.

now guys, let's discuss why people are still not for this idea of printing it online.
anyone? :)

alankuik said:
fyi, this is an unbiased collection of data although i'm from picturesky
refer to the respective sites for verification of the prices.

now guys, let's discuss why people are still not for this idea of printing it online.

so for picturesky, what's the upload time for let say 100 pictures of 1800x1200 for printing?

fotohub provide software for uploading.

Since most of these servers are located in SG, i assume the upload time will be restricted to how fast each end user's upload connectivity is.

Picturesky makes use of windows XP's built in XP publisher.
and fyi, picturesky servers have direct 100mbps connectino to S1. so i dun think speed is an issue .

mostly i tried are quite fast, cept for kodak's website.

alankuik said:
Since most of these servers are located in SG, i assume the upload time will be restricted to how fast each end user's upload connectivity is.

Picturesky makes use of windows XP's built in XP publisher.
and fyi, picturesky servers have direct 100mbps connectino to S1. so i dun think speed is an issue .

mostly i tried are quite fast, cept for kodak's website.

Maybe I should rephrase my question. How 'friendly' is your website when comes to uploading 100 images? How long will it take for the whole process?

Is it faster than travelling to a nearby shop and handover a CD with the image?

I'm calculating the cost of time.

Maybe it is not your capacity... IMHO it is the broadband penetration rate... if I am using a 56K dialup, uploading the photos will be a nightmare... :sweat:

Snowcrash said:
Maybe I should rephrase my question. How 'friendly' is your website when comes to uploading 100 images? How long will it take for the whole process?

Is it faster than travelling to a nearby shop and handover a CD with the image?

I'm calculating the cost of time.

Frankly, it will be faster to walk to the shop and print.
However, printing from an online printer that also has a incorporated gallery means that not only do you upload your photos just to print, (which is a bit duh). you will have your photos online after that for sharing / storage purposes.

That is why such online gallery / printing functions will not seem practical for those who find online albums unneccessary and only want to print.

coupled with the fact that printing online is going to be cheaper, and your're going to get a online album as a result of the printing process, this makes more sense.

right? ;p

not many use 56K.

With broadband rates getting affordable and only heading south, it's a matter of time before you yourself will convert to broadband. :)

alankuik said:

alankuik said:
That is why such online gallery / printing functions will not seem practical for those who find online albums unneccessary and only want to print.

Why I don't print online is it takes more time to upload a full size file for printing compare to uploading a small image for hosting. So I don't mix hosting and printing.

I'm still looking for a good uploading client software provided by online printing site solely for printing. Safe me the 2 trips down to send/collect photo.

Different people will put a different price tag to their time usage.

Hmm.. i share your opinion, which is why i seldom use my own service to print large prints like 8R e.g.

However, a 1024 * 768 / 1600 * 1200 res will be good enough for printing 4R .
That is also the normal res that online photos gallery are at for easy loading right?

personally, i find this tool a wonder.
snowcrash, this is XP publisher. typicaly standard coppermine installatinos will support it.
http://www.picturesky.com/xp_publish.php

Uses XP's engine as i previously mentioned. but non XP users can't use.

2ndly, i find webshots client very nice and intuitive.
hotprint's $100K client sux in my opinion.

heh... didn't realise there's a reply after 4 months....
anyway, here's ANOTHER reply after 4 months. :)

online printing is STILL not catching on. although we see more people printing online as compared to when we just started.
fotohub IS still not so big in online printing. :)

generally, printing for hte masses is more or less a dying trade (as described by the shop owners themselves). they have to compete for prices and now u see no.1 color centre offering 20cents for 4R, with wadever trashy results that comes out from that.

People print less, print using their selphys, photo printers at home, and only print large volumes when they go holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.