Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
A very timely and thought-provoking article in today Computertimes :

Computertimes said:
Online forums and the e-mail system are venues where users simply let off steam over what's eating them. But don't think that you can simply say anything without facts to back you up, especially when you are criticising a person or an organisation.

Cases of online defamation are on the rise, observed three law firms with expertise in defamation and IT issues. Allen & Gledhill, Drew & Napier and Harry Elias Partnership combined are handling more than 20 cases this year. In comparison, they saw fewer than five cases three years ago.

With a court order, Internet service providers and forum owners or moderators are obliged to reveal the identities of those who posted defaming remarks or materials online. And as more of such online defamation cases surface, the culture of being able to say anything online, hidden behind a pseudonym, may put a clamp on cybercitizens' free speech.

But companies like Sony Ericsson see value in feedback - though some of it is scathing - from their online users' group and choose to work with the forum to turn the negatives into positives.

Full article and additional writeups are available here!.

With immediate effect, any posts by members citing shop/person misconduct or alleged unfair business practices will be scrutinised very, very carefully and any thread/post citing a shop/person's name or references alluding to said shop/person's identity will be edited/deleted without prior notice if the Moderators deem the information to be potentially defamatory.

In the event that a defamatory case be brought to the courts, we will work closely with the authorities as required by law.

We would urge all members not to bring undue stress to themselves by refraining from posting any information or allegations that may be defamatory.

I agree with Darren and ClubSnap's position on this issue. I have patronised all 3 shops in the city hall area and no doubt that I have faced problems, I do not complain or publically state what I was unhappy with.

Just keep that information to yourself and at the most talk it over with trusted friends.

I don't see this as anything that is new. The Law of Torts has been around for since before our time.

if there's evidence against an event that occur at a particular time and place, perhaps a photo or in any form of media, would it be consider defamatory? Can it be then, posted here, together with evidence? How about through PM?

Just make sure you have the facts; receipts, written agreements, photos, witnesses, whether on foresight or hindsight.

Just let the facts speak for itself, the readers can come to their own conclusions; for good or bad.

ahbeng said:
if there's evidence against an event that occur at a particular time and place, perhaps a photo or in any form of media, would it be consider defamatory? Can it be then, posted here, together with evidence? How about through PM?

If you PM that person with the evidence (photo etc), then it's not defamatory. If you make it public, then it is potentially defamatory. You have to back it up with sufficient evidence so that you claim "fair comment".

:think:

who is "that person" you are referring to? the shoP? your fren?

zaren said:
If you PM that person with the evidence (photo etc), then it's not defamatory. If you make it public, then it is potentially defamatory. You have to back it up with sufficient evidence so that you claim "fair comment".

:think:

People need to pay more attention to my signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.