One Year in Timor | Photography exhibition

le petit prince

Jan 26, 2004
If you happen to be around the area in the next 2 weeks, do feel free to drop by. (Admission is free.)

Am also raising funds via postcards and an ebook. More info is available at the website.

Obrigado!

If you happen to be around the area in the next 2 weeks, do feel free to drop by. (Admission is free.)

Am also raising funds via postcards and an ebook. More info is available at the website.

Obrigado!

Pls support his efforts, Ive been traveling there on a regular basis since 2008 from Singapore ( direct flights ).

This new nation needs YOUR support, go visit Timor-leste ( and yes... it IS safe ) ;)

I'll be checking the exhibition out :)

Thx.

Pls support his efforts, Ive been traveling there on a regular basis since 2008 from Singapore ( direct flights ).

This new nation needs YOUR support, go visit Timor-leste ( and yes... it IS safe ) ;)

Thx.

which air line u take from sg?

Dfive said:

Thx.

Thanks, dfive!

Appreciate your support. And I'll echo your words: it's safe, and I'm speaking as someone who stayed there for a year.

It's pretty rare to know people here who's been to Timor before. Mostly seems to be a few church groups and some business folks who ventured there, but I'm not in either group.

Here's the newly created Facebook page for updates: http://www.facebook.com/pages/One-Year-in-Timor/336990236313016?sk=wall

Cheers!

Set-up is finally done. Phew.

One thing I really enjoyed about the whole thing is getting to print really big. It's how I justify to myself to always shot in RAW format and why I need a camera with so many megapixels. (Eh, can't remember how many mp my Pentax K-7 has though.)

And it's amazing how much detail there is! It takes a print to really 'see' this. (And no, zooming in on a LCD screen doesn't cut it.)

Do drop by if you can (and sign the guestbook!); there's also quite a lot of freebies to pick up.. bookmark, magazine, brochures. :p

Updates and photos at: Facebook page

Happy new year to all!

I had a quick look in there today,

Look out for the superb picture of kids jumping into a river .....

Really first class ..

Set-up is finally done. Phew.

One thing I really enjoyed about the whole thing is getting to print really big. It's how I justify to myself to always shot in RAW format and why I need a camera with so many megapixels. (Eh, can't remember how many mp my Pentax K-7 has though.)

And it's amazing how much detail there is! It takes a print to really 'see' this. (And no, zooming in on a LCD screen doesn't cut it.)

Do drop by if you can (and sign the guestbook!); there's also quite a lot of freebies to pick up.. bookmark, magazine, brochures. :p

Updates and photos at: Facebook page

Happy new year to all!

Where you get printed and at what cost, you can PM me if u not want to post here..... I want to print some images for my home.

Dfive said:
Where you get printed and at what cost, you can PM me if u not want to post here..... I want to print some images for my home.

I use Just1book and am pretty happy with their service.

http://www.just1book.com.sg

Despite its name, it does a wide range of printing. All details and prices on the site. Happy printing!

Expat yorkshire said:
I had a quick look in there today,

Look out for the superb picture of kids jumping into a river .....

Really first class ..

Thank you! It's a lucky, lucky shot. :)

Happen to be around the area yesterday to meet client, but didn't know there is an exhibition. Will check it out on Saturday. :D

Thanks, dfive!

Appreciate your support. And I'll echo your words: it's safe, and I'm speaking as someone who stayed there for a year.

It's pretty rare to know people here who's been to Timor before. Mostly seems to be a few church groups and some business folks who ventured there, but I'm not in either group.

Here's the newly created Facebook page for updates: One Year in Timor - Wall | Facebook

Cheers!

I'll drop by :)

Read a bit about Timor recently. In your opinion, what kind of infrastructures do they need? Is tourism viable now? Am thinking of setting up hotel/resort there which will create employment.

Read a bit about Timor recently. In your opinion, what kind of infrastructures do they need? Is tourism viable now? Am thinking of setting up hotel/resort there which will create employment.

Basically, everything. They had to rebuild from ground zero after the widespread 1999 destruction. But in Dili, it's developing along with new buildings and such. Timor Leste remains one of the world's poorest countries though.

Tourism: Mostly confined to the rather large UN and NGO presence now, adventure/eco-tourism and snorkeling/diving. The odd hardy backpacker also swings by, but still a trickle. It's one large untapped tourism hotspot of the future, lots of potential. But access and cost of getting there must improve/decrease. It's still too much of a hassle and too costly for most backpackers and tourists now.

Basically, everything. They had to rebuild from ground zero after the widespread 1999 destruction. But in Dili, it's developing along with new buildings and such. Timor Leste remains one of the world's poorest countries though.

Tourism: Mostly confined to the rather large UN and NGO presence now, adventure/eco-tourism and snorkeling/diving. The odd hardy backpacker also swings by, but still a trickle. It's one large untapped tourism hotspot of the future, lots of potential. But access and cost of getting there must improve/decrease. It's still too much of a hassle and too costly for most backpackers and tourists now.

Looks like it will need more than businessmen. We'll need govt level to get things across to building roads, speaking to budget airlines etc. but let's see how their politics settle down.

I've some friends in both the military here & Indonesia so I get to hear stories. It is sad to see such cruelty in late 20th century, so near to us but they're a hotbed between Indo & Australia.

Anyway, are you a French living in the area? :)

Hotels and Esp Accom is where its at there !!! a 2-3 bed place ( 2 story ) is renting at USD $5000 A MONTH !!! madness and more than SIN "almost".

Looks like it will need more than businessmen. We'll need govt level to get things across to building roads, speaking to budget airlines etc. but let's see how their politics settle down.

I've some friends in both the military here & Indonesia so I get to hear stories. It is sad to see such cruelty in late 20th century, so near to us but they're a hotbed between Indo & Australia.

The Gov't people are doing well, a few have bought Hummers, Z4's, 5 series, Jeeps, even a Lotus has been seen !!! ( yah.... a wee bit dodgy !! )

Car sales are good there.... consider this, average sales of cars WAS 300 a year just 3 years ago.... it's now around 3000 Car sales a year !!! :eek:

NineEleven said:

I'm a Singaporean. Volunteered with Singapore International Foundation for a year for an in-country stint. :)

Dfive said:
The Gov't people are doing well, a few have bought Hummers, Z4's, 5 series, Jeeps, even a Lotus has been seen !!! ( yah.... a wee bit dodgy !! )

Car sales are good there.... consider this, average sales of cars WAS 300 a year just 3 years ago.... it's now around 3000 Car sales a year !!! :eek:

In the corruption index, Timor, like most poor developing countries, ranks pretty low down. No surprise. But Timor is poor enough that such 'luxury' items should be confined only to a small % of the government or elites.

And yes, there IS demand and market for such luxury cars and accomodation. But vast majority of it seem to cater to the foreigners -- there's a massive UN and NGO presence in Timor.

The second and final run of the exhibition starts on 6 Feb, and runs till 20 Feb.

Venue: The Arts House at the Old Parliament | Print Gallery
Date: 6 – 20 February 2012
Time: 11am to 9pm daily
Free admission

More info: One year in Timor

Fb page & updates: https://www.facebook.com/oneyearintimor

Do drop by if you're around the area, or you have an interest in Timor Leste, or simply because. :)