One week in Myanmar, how to plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
I will have one week in Myanmar. My flight is return way between Singapore and Yangon. What I want to visit are Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan, and Inle Lake (the big-four frenzy as in lonely planet). Can someone advise if I have enough time? If you have any local tour contact to share (who is reliable), please kindly share with me.

Thanks!

one week is not enough to go so many places, especially Inlé Lake. Unfortunately the people I know in Yangon is not in the tourist trade. I can ask for recommendations though.

Also may want to reconsider going to some of the local market places, some instability recently.

So did you go to Kuching eventually?

Thanks man. I would love to stay longer in Myanmar but my wife has to be back earlier so this is the compromise. Bagan and Inle Lake are on top of our list. We can skip Mandalay if necessary. I may rent a private car to save some time. If you have any reliable contact, please do share with me. BTW my trip is in Sep, still quite far down the road.

Have not set off for Kuching. Went to Macau and HK instead. Will probably go and meanwhile fly to Miri for the cave. It could be another one week trip.

tomshen said:
Thanks man. I would love to stay longer in Myanmar but my wife has to be back earlier so this is the compromise. Bagan and Inle Lake are on top of our list. We can skip Mandalay if necessary. I may rent a private car to save some time. If you have any reliable contact, please do share with me. BTW my trip is in Sep, still quite far down the road.

Have not set off for Kuching. Went to Macau and HK instead. Will probably go and meanwhile fly to Miri for the cave. It could be another one week trip.

OK. I'll have a word with my friend. I actually ran into a guy in the domestic travel business at the Golden Temple, but I didn't get his card.

Did I pass you the Kuching contact already?

tomshen said:

Good Chioce Tom ...

Skip Mandalay and leave it for some other time when you can return to visit again ... It has its own beauty and charms, but nothing compared to Bagan and Inle Lake ....

You can move around Bagan quite easily in horsecarts ... the cart drivers speak some English and know most of the good places to visit ... Only need to get a taxi from the airport to Old Bagan (where most or all the temples are)

In Inle Lake ... you will need to hire a boat and maybe a guide ... the boatman are not too conversant in English ....

Anyway ... like you say, still a long way ... when closer to the time, give me a shot and I can help you arrange some things ...

RGDs

hwchoy said:
OK. I'll have a word with my friend. I actually ran into a guy in the domestic travel business at the Golden Temple, but I didn't get his card.

Did I pass you the Kuching contact already?
OK. I have bought/borrowed a few books and also reading the web now. Just gather some info first. Will hands on the itinerary after my Bali trip in July ;p Yes you did send me the contact of your Kuching friend. Thanks a lot!!

Long Thai Bean said:
Good Chioce Tom ...

Skip Mandalay and leave it for some other time when you can return to visit again ... It has its own beauty and charms, but nothing compared to Bagan and Inle Lake ....

You can move around Bagan quite easily in horsecarts ... the cart drivers speak some English and know most of the good places to visit ... Only need to get a taxi from the airport to Old Bagan (where most or all the temples are)

In Inle Lake ... you will need to hire a boat and maybe a guide ... the boatman are not too conversant in English ....

Anyway ... like you say, still a long way ... when closer to the time, give me a shot and I can help you arrange some things ...

RGDs
Alright this has confirmed my decision of dropping Mandalay for this trip. I have a total of 7D/7N in Myanmar (8rd day morning flying back). Will spend more time in Bagan and Inle Lake. If still have some time to spare (which I quite doubt), will go visit the nearby places of Yangon, eg Bago and Kyaikhtiyo. btw do you happend to know how much roughly for internal flight from Yangon to Bagon, and Inle lake back to Yangon? Thanks!

tomshen said:

Yeah.. One week is definitely not enough..
Think about those express bus services from Yangon to Mandalay if you don't mind spending the night on the bus..
It's still rainy season during September so i think you will need to bring along rain coat or umbrella.. or buy those at Yangon..

tomshen said:
Alright this has confirmed my decision of dropping Mandalay for this trip. I have a total of 7D/7N in Myanmar (8rd day morning flying back). Will spend more time in Bagan and Inle Lake. If still have some time to spare (which I quite doubt), will go visit the nearby places of Yangon, eg Bago and Kyaikhtiyo. btw do you happend to know how much roughly for internal flight from Yangon to Bagon, and Inle lake back to Yangon? Thanks!

I don't think you can go to Kyaikhtiyo in rainy season.. AFAIK you can go to Bagan by internal flight but not to Inle Lake..

Click here for flight info..

and click here for travel information..

Kyaikhtiyo is a 5-6 hr car ride from Yangon ... no flight there. But you can definately fly to Bagan and Inle Lake ... actually it is Heho that you fly to and then another 45 mins to the Lake. September is not really the rainy season anymore, esp if you are travelling late Sept. There will be cloud cover which makes the sky during sunrise and sunset very beautiful ....

As for overnight bus rides, strongly DO NOT suggest that ... there are no toursit class coaches between the cities, only the local domestic buses; the conditions are pretty rough and you prob would not get any sleep trying to keep an eye on all your belongings.

Anyway for a good guage of domestic flight prices ... check out the following website
http://www.air-mandalay.com/airfare.asp domestic air travel for foreigners is not cheap ....

zeith said:
I don't think you can go to Kyaikhtiyo in rainy season.. AFAIK you can go to Bagan by internal flight but not to Inle Lake..

Click here for flight info..

and click here for travel information..
My trip will be early Sep, hope lucky enough not caught by rain. Thanks for the URL, I am having a look now...

Long Thai Bean said:
Kyaikhtiyo is a 5-6 hr car ride from Yangon ... no flight there. But you can definately fly to Bagan and Inle Lake ... actually it is Heho that you fly to and then another 45 mins to the Lake. September is not really the rainy season anymore, esp if you are travelling late Sept. There will be cloud cover which makes the sky during sunrise and sunset very beautiful ....

As for overnight bus rides, strongly DO NOT suggest that ... there are no toursit class coaches between the cities, only the local domestic buses; the conditions are pretty rough and you prob would not get any sleep trying to keep an eye on all your belongings.

Anyway for a good guage of domestic flight prices ... check out the following website
http://www.air-mandalay.com/airfare.asp domestic air travel for foreigners is not cheap ....
I heard that bus tour may take up to 18 hrs from Yangon to Mandaly, really too suffering! Think the best is to take an internal flight. Anyway we have already saved on JetStar's promotional ticket, S$245/pax,return. Strange to see that Myanmar's internal flight has two prices. What is it about? How come overseas price is so much cheaper than the published price (somehow getting in Myanmar). If I book from Singapore, can I get the "overseas" price? Quite confused... According to the website you provided, it costs USD72 from Yangon to Bagan, still within my budget. If I could really book internal flights from here, then no need to get a tour agent. I can do everything else by DIY to save the cost and have more flexibility.

Long Thai Bean said:
Anyway for a good guage of domestic flight prices ... check out the following website http://www.air-mandalay.com/airfare.asp domestic air travel for foreigners is not cheap ....
I have just sent a reservation request from the above URL. Don't know how to pay yet. Is it safe to pay with credit card? Still wait for the reply. BTW, if I want to take a flight from Inle lake area to Yangon, where should I depart by air? My destination will be Yangon-Bagan-Inle Lake-Yangon. With internal flight, I may have a bit more time in walking/shooting around instead of sleeping on a bus!

hwchoy said:
yes yes but some people tend to forget. especially Singaporean who doesn't need VISA to many countries.
So Singaporeans also need visa? Myanmar not an ASEAN country right?

tomshen said:
So Singaporeans also need visa? Myanmar not an ASEAN country right?

Yes, Myanmar is an ASEAN country. From my understanding, citizens from member countries do not require visa to visit another member country. Well, if in doubt, can always check with your travel agent.

redstorm said:
Yes, Myanmar is an ASEAN country. From my understanding, citizens from member countries do not require visa to visit another member country. Well, if in doubt, can always check with your travel agent.

Myanmar is an ASEAN country, btu they also require ALL visitors regardless of nationality to apply for a visa to enter the country. If all the paperworks are in order, it takes about 3 days to get your visa.

Status
Not open for further replies.