One thing that I like about Leica cameras!


Status
Not open for further replies.

XXX Boy

New Member
Jan 11, 2004
1,159
0
0
43
GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
#1
Referring to the link below, I am really surpise that Leica even help to refunished the whole camera that is over 20 years! They even replace the top plate and etc. Thumbs up for Leica! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Too bad, other manufacturer would not even wanted to keep invertory on it parts and would even force ppl to buy their new products...example, Nihon (does not wanna use their real name as I afraid kena sued by them) for introducing the "G-string" series of lens that force old camera user to dump their cam and buy their new cam that support this "G-string" feature...

Leica
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,692
42
48
42
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
#2
XXX Boy said:
Referring to the link below, I am really surpise that Leica even help to refunished the whole camera that is over 20 years! They even replace the top plate and etc. Thumbs up for Leica! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Too bad, other manufacturer would not even wanted to keep invertory on it parts and would even force ppl to buy their new products...example, Nihon (does not wanna use their real name as I afraid kena sued by them) for introducing the "G-string" series of lens that force old camera user to dump their cam and buy their new cam that support this "G-string" feature...

Leica
Having parts 20 years down the road is pretty irrelevant nowadays. Heck, some people don't even keep their cameras for more than 3 months. :D
 

#3
XXX Boy said:
Referring to the link below, I am really surpise that Leica even help to refunished the whole camera that is over 20 years! They even replace the top plate and etc. Thumbs up for Leica! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Too bad, other manufacturer would not even wanted to keep invertory on it parts and would even force ppl to buy their new products...example, Nihon (does not wanna use their real name as I afraid kena sued by them) for introducing the "G-string" series of lens that force old camera user to dump their cam and buy their new cam that support this "G-string" feature...

Leica
yup, that i agree.
 

pigglet

New Member
Oct 18, 2004
22
0
0
#4
Wat's pt of refurbishing (NOT refunish' :bsmilie: ) a 20-yr old cam and paying much much more than a working example?? lame.
 

dkw

New Member
Dec 10, 2003
1,051
0
0
CCK
Visit site
#5
XXX Boy said:
Referring to the link below, I am really surpise that Leica even help to refunished the whole camera that is over 20 years! They even replace the top plate and etc. Thumbs up for Leica! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Too bad, other manufacturer would not even wanted to keep invertory on it parts and would even force ppl to buy their new products...example, Nihon (does not wanna use their real name as I afraid kena sued by them) for introducing the "G-string" series of lens that force old camera user to dump their cam and buy their new cam that support this "G-string" feature...

Leica
I guess if you're stuck with 20 year old technology only it shouldn't be too difficult. Technology moves on, if you need to add features like AF, image stabilisation, mounts need to be re-engineered. In any case, if you have an old non-G lens and camera and are happy with it, nobody is "forcing" you to upgrade. Once again, a flawed argument.
 

Pablo

Senior Member
Sep 1, 2004
1,854
0
0
Blue/Green Planet
#6
I must agree that 20 years ago, there were some items that were made to last. I have no doubt that out there somewhere there is a black&white television that can still be made to work. Why would I :dunno:
No picture in picture, no surround sound, no wide screen, no teletext, no a lot of things. :bsmilie:
 

Parchiao

Deregistered
Jan 2, 2003
1,829
0
0
Visit site
#7
For the same reason as to why you will love your old father/mother or old wife/husband.
 

#8
Kit said:
Having parts 20 years down the road is pretty irrelevant nowadays. Heck, some people don't even keep their cameras for more than 3 months. :D
3 months are a bit too long leh.

All cameras should self-disintegrate after 3 days of purchase into dust or grow mould like roti.

And all camera should be manufactured in the largest range of colours to stimulate consumers' interest and come with replacement vouchers.
 

SNAG

Senior Member
Jun 14, 2002
1,644
0
36
33
Visit site
#9
dkw said:
I guess if you're stuck with 20 year old technology only it shouldn't be too difficult. Technology moves on, if you need to add features like AF, image stabilisation, mounts need to be re-engineered. In any case, if you have an old non-G lens and camera and are happy with it, nobody is "forcing" you to upgrade. Once again, a flawed argument.
I guess what irked XXX Boy about this whole G thing is that it is actually technically possible to implement the aperture ring to co-exist with their new technologies (after all, they have made f/2.8 lens with an aperture ring & their new technologies - maybe not for the VR/IS ones). There could have been a reason as to why they abandoned the aperture ring (production cost, design limitations?)

But on one hand, I agree that if the existing lens design does limit the technological advances, then it would be a good time to review the design layout.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom