One Size UV Filter for 2 Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

telmi

Sep 2, 2006
Sydney
Hello All,

I've got a question about what filter size to buy so it can be use for both Nikon 18-55 and 70-300 lenses?

Will I need to purchase a step-up ring for the 18-55 as well?

I want to purchase a UV filter for the lenses? Is it just more practical to buy 2 filters and attached the filter to one lense each?

Thanks for all the info!! ;)

telmi said:
Hello All,

I've got a question about what filter size to buy so it can be use for both Nikon 18-55 and 70-300 lenses?

I want to purchase a UV filter for the lenses? Is it just more practical to buy 2 filters and attached the filter to one lense each?

Yes, its more practical to buy 1 filter for each lens. You never know when something will scratch your lens, so unless its a really expensive piece like a B+W Polariser then 1 is necessary...

telmi said:
Hello All,

Hi there,

For Nikon 18-55, the filter thread size is 52mm.
For Nikon 70-300, the filter thread size is 62mm.

For UV filter, it is mainly used to protect the front element of the lens, so it is better that you get 2 UV filters of the exact same size as required thread size.

Other than UV filter, it is advisable to do a step-up instead of step-down because of vignetting issue. So you should get a 62mm filter and get a 52mm -> 62mm step-up ring in this case.

However, on a personal note, if you are intending to get more lenses, other than UV filter, you can try to get the filter that can fit the largest thread size of your lenses and get some step-up rings.

Hope that helps.

Great, all the answers I need. Thank you :thumbsup:

telmi said:
Yes.

Usually UV filter is for protection of lens' front element. If you keep changing the UV filter, it may somehow scratch the lens' front element. Who knows, shaky hand, bad day...

Regards,
Arto.

Francis247 said:
Hi there,

For Nikon 18-55, the filter thread size is 52mm.
For Nikon 70-300, the filter thread size is 62mm.

For UV filter, it is mainly used to protect the front element of the lens, so it is better that you get 2 UV filters of the exact same size as required thread size.

Other than UV filter, it is advisable to do a step-up instead of step-down because of vignetting issue. So you should get a 62mm filter and get a 52mm -> 62mm step-up ring in this case.

However, on a personal note, if you are intending to get more lenses, other than UV filter, you can try to get the filter that can fit the largest thread size of your lenses and get some step-up rings.

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure why do I need to have 2 of the same size filters? Why not buy a 52mm filter for 18-55 lens and 62 mm filter for 70-300 lens, since the filter will be attached on each lenses?

telmi said:
I'm not sure why do I need to have 2 of the same size filters? Why not buy a 52mm filter for 18-55 lens and 62 mm filter for 70-300 lens, since the filter will be attached on each lenses?

For UV filter, it is advisable to get the filter of the exact size as the required lens thread size, one for each lens.

But other than UV filter, maybe you may want ND filter, Circular Polarizer and etc. So you can consider getting 1 set with some step-up ring instead of getting 2 seperate sets of such filters for each lens.

Hi,

May i ask, if i use a step up ring, will i still be able to use the original lens hood on the "stepped-up" lens?.

Thanks!

Hi Again,

more question ;p

I've checked on some webistes, they don't have any step-up ring from 52 - 62, what they mostly have is 52 - 72 and 62 - 72

does this means there is no step-up ring for 52-62, hence, I have to get 2 step-up rings???

thankss:)

telmi said:
Hi Again,

more question ;p

I've checked on some webistes, they don't have any step-up ring from 52 - 62, what they mostly have is 52 - 72 and 62 - 72

does this means there is no step-up ring for 52-62, hence, I have to get 2 step-up rings???

thankss:)

:think:
Not too sure about that detail.
Maybe you can try to go down to CP or other camera shops to ask. I believe should have 52 -> 62.

Status
Not open for further replies.