One of the 20 biggest travel mistakes according to CNN

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
That's what CNN says. Is it true?

16. Obsessive photography
The obsession/obligation to document every street scene, statue and starter course kills the spontaneity and visceral experience that should be the backbone of travel.
It's now so easy to take photos that one click leads to another.
Before you know it, you have 300 pictures on your phone comprising old buildings, blurry sunsets and plates of food.
Congratulations. Your trip is now defined by low-quality images on a handset that, trust us, nobody back home wants to spend 20 minutes scrolling through.

Photo credit: Suhaimi Abdullah;Getty Images
obsessivephotography.jpg

Last edited:
It doesn't need traveling. Watch people in food courts, restaurants here. See the daily fall out of images on Facebook .. Not even the $4 noodle soup is safe from these snappers :bsmilie:

It doesn't need traveling. Watch people in food courts, restaurants here. See the daily fall out of images on Facebook .. Not even the $4 noodle soup is safe from these snappers :bsmilie:

thank goodness i only take pictures of $20 bowls of noodles :bsmilie:

Not available.
But then, 400+ pics of xmm loitering around in ill-fitting skimpy attire shows creativity? I do prefer any grave yard over that.

In the early hours of the morning in certain month you'll find ill-fitting skimpy attired shadowy figures dancing and jumping around the graveyard too. :eek:

Photography on food also a form of art. The $3/$4 dish might looks simple to most but taking at a different angle, you got different results. Skill level +1 somemore, don't play play!

Although I agree with some of the author's other points. Like for example, don't trust some hotels' advertisement blurb that they are near to city centre.

I do not agree with his point on obsessive photography during travels because:

• the ability to afford taking large numbers of photos is a recent phenomenon, thanks to cheap memory cards and digital photography.
• in the days of film that need to be processed and prints from negatives, the cost of thousands of photographs would be prohibitive.
• although budget airlines has made travel more affordable, an overseas holiday is still a luxury to most. It is a memory we treasure.
• hence the taking of photos to keep a visual record of the tour.
• hobbyist photographers basically like to take photos - to improve their skills or capture the subject of their interest e.g. street-life.
• some take photos to test the excellence of their equipment after paying so much for it.
• some like to display their high end equipment in public - it is peacock syndrome.
• some take excellent videos and share them with the world on YouTube - I have viewed many splendid travel videos to places that I would have no chance to visit.
• the record shots that we take become visual diaries. After many years passed, they become an important family record.
• no one is expected to scroll through our hundreds or thousands of photos from past tours. We take them for our own enjoyment and show a selected few to close friends.
• the confluence of modern technology is such that nowadays, we can store thousands of photos cheaply and easily in portable hard disks or even on several DVDRWs or high capacity USB drives. In the film days, the negatives and slides would grow fungus unlike you keep them in dry cabinets.

On this last point, a friend has advised that you should NOT store your lenses with stacks of exposed slides & negatives inside the same dry box. He says the chemical fumes evaporating from the negatives or slides would harm your lenses.
If you don't believe it, just ignore - no need to contest the point.

Last edited: