One Neil Rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

piper85

Oct 13, 2009
CSC_0368.jpg
[/IMG]

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition,exposure etc

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Was trying to take car trails along one neil rd, outside a old ktb pub. Wanted to show how time flies with the fast car trails passing by the old pub (which is still standing there after so many years).

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I was walking around this area after work, waiting for a friend juz outside this pub. And was suddenly struck by this feeling. Of how things ard this pub has change and yet this very old pub still stand there. People of our parents' age can still associate themselves with this place.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I am not too sure of whether the composition is right or not. I think the car trails are not very well projected.

Let me share my humble views.

The photo looks underexposed and the one neil road bar is blurry. Not sharp at all. Increase your exposure, lower your iso to maybe 100-200, and increase your aperture to maybe 9 onwards.

Yah, the car trails are not well projected looks like some lights only. Shorten your shutter speed, trial and error and see which gives the best effects with visible cars and their respective trails.

Composition wise, it has not much of interest, i'd not take a second look. Try using a wider lens, include the surroundings and the full vertical view of the building at least, it will make the bar look more... obsolete.

Just my 2 cents. :)

obviously handheld right? everything is blur. try using a tripod or place ur camera on a fixed surface when doing night shots.

composition wise- not good. the trees distract the viewer from ur object. even if ur focal point is the neon sign, the framing of the trees doesn't help.

the car trails are rather out-of-point in the shot. cuts the photo in half and is actually rather distracting.

doesn't tell ur story of hold things change but the bar still remains there. nothing to compare the bar to. remember what you see and what the camera sees are two different things.

Try working on the sharpness next time round.

CSC_0368.jpg
[/IMG]

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition,exposure etc

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Was trying to take car trails along one neil rd, outside a old ktb pub. Wanted to show how time flies with the fast car trails passing by the old pub (which is still standing there after so many years).

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I was walking around this area after work, waiting for a friend juz outside this pub. And was suddenly struck by this feeling. Of how things ard this pub has change and yet this very old pub still stand there. People of our parents' age can still associate themselves with this place.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I am not too sure of whether the composition is right or not. I think the car trails are not very well projected.

The photo looks underexposed and the one neil road bar is blurry. Not sharp at all. Increase your exposure, lower your iso to maybe 100-200, and increase your aperture to maybe 9 onwards.

Yah, the car trails are not well projected looks like some lights only. Shorten your shutter speed, trial and error and see which gives the best effects with visible cars and their respective trails.

Composition wise, it has not much of interest, i'd not take a second look. Try using a wider lens, include the surroundings and the full vertical view of the building at least, it will make the bar look more... obsolete.

Thanks for your comments. I'm really new to photography. Really hope to get some really good advice/tips. So, how should I project the car trails in this case? I took this shot at a shutter speed of 2 secs with the 18-105mm lens. What kind of lens would be suitable for this kinda shot?

composition wise- not good. the trees distract the viewer from ur object. even if ur focal point is the neon sign, the framing of the trees doesn't help.

How should place the trees instead if it's distractin and the framing of the trees here is not working?

the car trails are rather out-of-point in the shot. cuts the photo in half and is actually rather distracting.

doesn't tell ur story of hold things change but the bar still remains there. nothing to compare the bar to. remember what you see and what the camera sees are two different things.

So, any advice how this kinda of shot should be taken?
Really appreciate your valuable comments. :)

I feel it is underexpose and blurred

There is no such thing as what kind of lens would be suitable for this kinda shots cos actually any lens can do the trick. It's just the technique. Like i say, do a trial and error with your shutter speeds. The effect you should see is the car in the picture with trails behind. Not just trails without cars.

Also take note of your vertical/horizontal alignment. Really out of place.

There is no such thing as what kind of lens would be suitable for this kinda shots cos actually any lens can do the trick. It's just the technique. Like i say, do a trial and error with your shutter speeds. The effect you should see is the car in the picture with trails behind. Not just trails without cars.

Okay got it. So i'm supposed to show the cars with the trails not juz trails. Thanks!

From the pic, the blurriness makes me wonder is it OOF or a little shake. :dunno:
But the pic shows that the car lights are taking the attention rather than the "one neil road".. ;)

This is an impromptu shot, just shot for fun while waiting.

Just FYI, this property/building belongs to Jackie Chan. There is one more down Tanjong Pagar road, 五十年代, also his.

Anyway, excellent, well exposed and composed,night photography and car trails are usually unable to produce by just hand holding the camera.

No "composition" effort has been put in here.

Last edited:
This is an impromptu shot, just shot for fun while waiting.

Just FYI, this property/building belongs to Jackie Chan. There is one more down Tanjong Pagar road, 五十年代, also his.

Anyway, excellent, well exposed and composed,night photography and car trails are usually unable to produce by just hand holding the camera.

No "composition" effort has been put in here.

Yes. It was taken handheld. Thanks for the comments.

This kind of shots require a tripod. Try again next time with a tripod and post here again.

Yeah. Planning to try it again. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.