One morning at SBG

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbma

Dec 28, 2003
Tampines
Some insect shots. I feel that it could be better.

damsel.jpg

dragon1.jpg

dragon2.jpg

dragon3.jpg

Wah!! bro... went dragon hunting again... :cry: sian... cannot go along... :cry:

I like #4 the best for colour rendition...

nickmak said:
Wah!! bro... went dragon hunting again... :cry: sian... cannot go along... :cry:

I like #4 the best for colour rendition...

Thanks bro. I feel that my shots could have been better. Not enough concentration on that day.

Hi, last 3 shots are slightly OOF or handshake maybe? And I would prefer a lower angle for the damselfly shot. Even those territorial type of drgonfly doesnt return to the same perch sometimes, try to observe the behaviour of the specific subject you're aiming. Leave those skittish alone and concentrate on those cooperative type and sure you will nail one. Keep shooting!

jbma said:
Thanks bro. I feel that my shots could have been better. Not enough concentration on that day.

jbma, must be some pretty gals jogging around rite ? :lovegrin:

I agree with you, your shots can be better, but the first one quite good. The rest I think you din have good luck for them to pose nicely in frame.

Sgt. Pepper said:
Hi, last 3 shots are slightly OOF or handshake maybe? And I would prefer a lower angle for the damselfly shot. Even those territorial type of drgonfly doesnt return to the same perch sometimes, try to observe the behaviour of the specific subject you're aiming. Leave those skittish alone and concentrate on those cooperative type and sure you will nail one. Keep shooting!

Thanks Sgt Pepper. I really appreciate your feedback. This is my 2nd try at macro. I need to go out and shoot with the pros in order to learn. Will note your advise the next time I'm doing it.

chunger said:
jbma, must be some pretty gals jogging around rite ? :lovegrin:

I agree with you, your shots can be better, but the first one quite good. The rest I think you din have good luck for them to pose nicely in frame.

Yup you are right. Met a girl there while shooting. Will post her picture later.:)

Newguy69 said:
Wah, all close encounter shots. :heart: pic 1 best! Keep on shooting...

Cheers

Thanks bro. What about your's? Don't shy shy lah:bsmilie:

jbma said:

Simply Cannot make it..ur macro shots of the dragon flies. I know I am being brutually honest...But your pictures are best prove that it should not even be posted up. Out of Focus and soft...

Please post something more quality!

Ooooo you must be a pro. The reason I post my photos is to get feedback so that I can improve my skills. But you seem to condemn without any constructive criticism.

jbma said:
Ooooo you must be a pro. The reason I post my photos is to get feedback so that I can improve my skills. But you seem to condemn without any constructive criticism.
ha ha...he could be a pro...i dunno...i think he shouldnt have posted if he got no constructive criticism.

maybe he has been getting a lot of good shots...that's why it's getting into his head.

jbma said:

What constructive criticism you are looking for? Like you should up your contrast, you should do how USM on your photo huh? Well, if the source image is not good, there is only so much you can do with photo editing software.

And one more thing, in this world don't expect everything to be constructive...sometimes u need to go through destructive comments, insults, etc. Nothing is sweet and beautiful in this world. If you want something +ve, go somewhere else then.

One more thing, I ain't pro.

khairi said:
ha ha...he could be a pro...i dunno...i think he shouldnt have posted if he got no constructive criticism.

maybe he has been getting a lot of good shots...that's why it's getting into his head.

I seen your gallery, the photos posted are not too bad. But can you honestly tell me are those shots any good...

And don't assume you know what I am thinking, you are not me, so please keep your assumptions to yourself.

edwin,

jbma is honestly asking for comments on how to improve his shooting. we all post to get tips on how to shoot better, and also to find out where we gone wrong.

IMO, it doesn't matter the comments come from pros, semi-pros, serious amatuers or complete noobies. but, more importantly, the comments must be useful and instructive. for me, i'm grateful to people like aj23, espn, pro-new... etc who have given me very good criticisms on where i gone wrong and right when i shoot portraits. i appreciate their good comments, and try my best to apply them on future shoots.

however, while being 'brutally honest' to jbma abt his CMI shots, perhaps u shld couple ur comments with constructive comments like "mebbe u shld use a tripod when shooting macros", "get a close up filter", "use higher shutter speeds" etc... i dun know ur intentions, and have no wish to guess. nevertheless, by saying jbma's shots "cannot make it" and not offering any solutions will only invite criticisms on urself.

i'm not a pro/expert in photography, and i dun wish to pretend to be one. however, i'm sure most of us in CS are more than willing and happy to learn from one and another on how to do better the next time. perhaps, in ur future comments and criticisms, mebbe u would like to share with us on how to do better?

wynx said:
I seen your gallery, the photos posted are not too bad. But can you honestly tell me are those shots any good...

And don't assume you know what I am thinking, you are not me, so please keep your assumptions to yourself.
well...Mr Wynx...

say what you like lah...

Hi jmba, though this was your 2nd attempt on Macro shots, but hey man, your skill much better than me a few miles !

Care to share your setup? ie. shooting in P/A/Tv/M-mode, shutter speed/ f/stop/ flash/ tripod/AWB/AdobeRGB/Parameter2,..etc ?

Any post processing done in PS?

sorry for asking so much detail, as I'd to know how exactly it can produce such quality photos :)

Thanks much!

ST_sg said:
Hi jmba, though this was your 2nd attempt on Macro shots, but hey man, your skill much better than me a few miles !

Care to share your setup? ie. shooting in P/A/Tv/M-mode, shutter speed/ f/stop/ flash/ tripod/AWB/AdobeRGB/Parameter2,..etc ?

Any post processing done in PS?

sorry for asking so much detail, as I'd to know how exactly it can produce such quality photos :)

Thanks much!

Thanks for your kind words ST_sg. I am not good at macro. This is my second try at it. I will PM you my replies to your query. Paiseh to put here...all the Pros are watching.

nightwolf75 said:
edwin,

jbma is honestly asking for comments on how to improve his shooting. we all post to get tips on how to shoot better, and also to find out where we gone wrong.

IMO, it doesn't matter the comments come from pros, semi-pros, serious amatuers or complete noobies. but, more importantly, the comments must be useful and instructive. for me, i'm grateful to people like aj23, espn, pro-new... etc who have given me very good criticisms on where i gone wrong and right when i shoot portraits. i appreciate their good comments, and try my best to apply them on future shoots.

however, while being 'brutally honest' to jbma abt his CMI shots, perhaps u shld couple ur comments with constructive comments like "mebbe u shld use a tripod when shooting macros", "get a close up filter", "use higher shutter speeds" etc... i dun know ur intentions, and have no wish to guess. nevertheless, by saying jbma's shots "cannot make it" and not offering any solutions will only invite criticisms on urself.

i'm not a pro/expert in photography, and i dun wish to pretend to be one. however, i'm sure most of us in CS are more than willing and happy to learn from one and another on how to do better the next time. perhaps, in ur future comments and criticisms, mebbe u would like to share with us on how to do better?

Hey,

Nightwolf, thanks for your enlightenment! I should not have been so harsh with my commentz. Of course, we are more willing to learn/teach one another. That's how we all improve on our skills collectively.

Perhaps, I should say certain shots should not have been posted in the 1st place.

I don't wish to turn into some hate thread that will escalate sky high....

So my apologises to all. :embrass:

Poor jbma,

Just post some photos and got such harsh comments. *pat pat*

Actually I also find the photos not too focus. Only no. 3 is focus to me. I always have the same problem with dragonflies too. I thought it's focus but when downloaded to PC, it's not. *sighz* :(

Let's try and learn and improve on our skills together lor. Why need to be so harsh right?

Jbma, no worries and dun let that stop you from posting. Ok? :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.