One more newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photoholic

Jan 25, 2010
Somewhere Around You
Hello everyone !!!

Although this is my first post I am not new to this wonderful forum (had been reading thru the postings for some time) And the more I read, the more I feel that this is ONE BIG FAMILY for the world of shooters where the pros guide the newbies unselfishly. :D

The past years I had been using pns while travelling and the more I shoot the more frustrated I am at the limitations of it and I believe it is time now for the Big leap !!!

I am still ONE step away from being a proud owner of a dslr as am pondering over canon D7 and 500D ( having seriously considered other brands of course ). Besides taking into points discussed at this forum, I spend quite some time at Canon (vivo) hands on the 2 models and frankly speaking I am leaning from 500d to 7D. But I am a newbie at dslr and fear that I may not do justice to 7d if I get it. Anyway I am still thinking and thinking and thinking.....

Sori about the long winded post :embrass:

One question thou which I hope you pros can help, what to check for when you are buyng a dslr ? I know there are many reports/articles on the internet regarding this but just want to know the real experience you guys have.

Many Many Thanks.

Welcome to Clubsnap!

Taking that first step to getting a DSLR is often a daunting one. The choices are bewildering. Do I go for entry-level, enthusiast, pro... etc? Canon? Nikon? Sony? Olympus? Pentax? Ricoh? Panasonic? Leica?

Well, anyway, you seem inclined towards Canon, so I shall ignore the other brands in this reply.
Don't worry about "not doing justice" to your camera... It's YOUR camera... you can do whatever you damn like with it, even use it as a paperweight if you feel like it.

Both are very good and capable cameras. Obviously one is larger, heavier, and more expensive. It also has a lot more buttons and dials, and an additional LCD display at the top. There are many other differences of course, but I'm just stating the obvious ones.

Probably some things that should be going through your mind before you take that leap....:

1) how much can I realistically afford to spend on this hobby at this moment?
This includes camera body, lenses, tripod, dry cabinet, filters, flash, etc...

2) How much size/weight would I be able to tolerate for extended period of time (walking about whole day with gear whilst on holiday, for example)

3) What would I likely use the camera for?

4) What kind of features (built-in stabilisation, liveview, video, high speed continuous shooting, etc) are important to me?

and more but I can't think anymore :) Good luck!

Welcome to CS!

Get the best you can afford. That way, you might not feel the need to upgrade so soon. There again, there are actually very few real reasons to upgrade if one makes the more appropriate choices from the start.

Do a search on any of the well-known review sites, but do bear in mind that while very comprehensive, many of these sites are sponsored.

Try dpreview and luminous landscape for a start, but I am sure there are other good sites as well.

Take your time to really understand the impact of the test parameters.

One thing to look out for are the layout and operation of controls. It can make your photography experience joyful, or miserable.

Anything don't know. Google first for definitions and explanations.

Then look for user reviews. Usually, just typing in something like 'XYZ reviews' or 'XYZ user reviews' will get you a hit on many user review sites and forum discussions. The ones on fred miranda reviews and forums can be very helpful.

Finally, get what YOU are most comfortable with.

All the best.

if u can afford canon 7D, then get it - as said above, its best to get the best cam u can afford, so u wont need to upgrade again :) i have 500D, it was my first dslr, and its really good for beginners, and i dont see the need to upgrade for a while - but having said that, if u can afford the extra performance and features of 7D, why not get it? its a newer and more powerful camera, and u can learn photography using it just as well as u can using 500D

welcome welcome..i am a newbie myself too...

Last edited:
Welcome to Clubsnap!

Taking that first step to getting a DSLR is often a daunting one. The choices are bewildering. Do I go for entry-level, enthusiast, pro... etc? Canon? Nikon? Sony? Olympus? Pentax? Ricoh? Panasonic? Leica?

Well, anyway, you seem inclined towards Canon, so I shall ignore the other brands in this reply.
Don't worry about "not doing justice" to your camera... It's YOUR camera... you can do whatever you damn like with it, even use it as a paperweight if you feel like it.

Both are very good and capable cameras. Obviously one is larger, heavier, and more expensive. It also has a lot more buttons and dials, and an additional LCD display at the top. There are many other differences of course, but I'm just stating the obvious ones.

Probably some things that should be going through your mind before you take that leap....:

1) how much can I realistically afford to spend on this hobby at this moment?
This includes camera body, lenses, tripod, dry cabinet, filters, flash, etc...

2) How much size/weight would I be able to tolerate for extended period of time (walking about whole day with gear whilst on holiday, for example)

3) What would I likely use the camera for?

4) What kind of features (built-in stabilisation, liveview, video, high speed continuous shooting, etc) are important to me?

and more but I can't think anymore :) Good luck!

Thanks ZerocoolAstra.

I couldn't agreed more with you. It sure is a daunting process, but a very rewarding one cos I got to read many reviews from the internet (dpreview and others) and also from magazines. I would say I enjoy reading all the stuffs related to photography and I try to absorb the stuffs that I read.

Regarding the weight between the two, D7 obviously is much heavier. I read from a fellow forumer that if you past the 10 min mark you should be fine, which I did. But after 15 mins my arms starts to strain :sweat: When I switched over to 500D, pheeew..what a relief :bsmilie:
Travelling will be easier if I bring along the latter then. ( oops, i am leaning to 500d now):p

For pictures I took potraits but my main interest is actually in Buildings Architectures and landscapes. And this is the main reason why I want to switch to dslr. :D

Welcome to CS!

Get the best you can afford. That way, you might not feel the need to upgrade so soon. There again, there are actually very few real reasons to upgrade if one makes the more appropriate choices from the start.

Do a search on any of the well-known review sites, but do bear in mind that while very comprehensive, many of these sites are sponsored.

Try dpreview and luminous landscape for a start, but I am sure there are other good sites as well.

Take your time to really understand the impact of the test parameters.

One thing to look out for are the layout and operation of controls. It can make your photography experience joyful, or miserable.

Anything don't know. Google first for definitions and explanations.

Then look for user reviews. Usually, just typing in something like 'XYZ reviews' or 'XYZ user reviews' will get you a hit on many user review sites and forum discussions. The ones on fred miranda reviews and forums can be very helpful.

Finally, get what YOU are most comfortable with.

All the best.

Thank you Dream Merchant.

I am having the same thoughts as well. Get one which I can afford and not need to upgrade anytime soon. I have great interest in photography and prepared to learn more along the way. Thanks for the tip on "xyz reviews", I will do so. :thumbsup:

Thank you guys, Heshanj, Tehzeh, Madmartian, Galdor, Akszaksz and Revolver for the warm welcome.

After One whole night of thinking without sleeping, lol, I should be getting the 500D for a start. The main reason being on the weight between the two models. Frankly speaking, I took more pictures overseas and the weight of the 500d is not too "overwhelming", which will be easier when I travel. Furthermore the places I am going to might not be too "safe".

So assuming I am buying the 500D, what do I check for when I doing the purchase?

Should I get the kit2 which includes the 18-200 lens? I am taking more on architectures and landscape + potraits as well.
From what I read, this lens should do fine when on travelling. Any advice pls ?

Hi Photoholic, welcome!

Both 500D and 7D are good camera. :)
And they are sufficient to shoot Buildings Architectures and landscapes as what you are interested in.

My advise would be get the 7D should your budget permit.
However pls do remember to factors in additional cost to get a dry cabinet, UWA lens, UV filters for your lens and of cos a good tripod. =)

I came from 500D to 7D when I started off photography mths ago.
It had been a really pleasant experience to use own and use a 7D. =)

yo ts :) welcome.

as most of us here are well accustomed to the high prices associated with feeding a camera, i shall just list out some things u might wanna potentially consider

what u might wanna think: what photography am i taking? i'm pretty sure that since ur taking buildings etc, u might need to get a wide angle lens... or somethign close. so adding on to ur camera its quite hefty.

not just tat, drybox, a properbag, servicing, tripods, etc etc. other accessories.

taking into account, how often are u using it? it shld give u a good gauge.

or better still, can u earn back tat amt? :D

Thanks a million qingtian and allenleonhart for your value advice. :)

I was informed that 500D is already available at some of the shops. Hence tomorrow will drop by vivo (again) for "free" practice + "dry run" and get a feel before deciding.

Thanks Omahunk.

After thinking and thinking for 4 days 3 nights + "free" practice at vivo numerous times,
I finally chose the Canon 7D over 500d. Many thanks to fellow bros for their valuable advices, inputs and I can say that I am glad I got this model. :D

Hmmmm, how to switch on har ????? :kok:

:thumbsup:welcome to the family

Thanks Omahunk.

After thinking and thinking for 4 days 3 nights + "free" practice at vivo numerous times,
I finally chose the Canon 7D over 500d. Many thanks to fellow bros for their valuable advices, inputs and I can say that I am glad I got this model. :D

Hmmmm, how to switch on har ????? :kok:

good choice.. just try dropping it.. maybe will ON? hahahaha.. hey hey hey ... IM JUST JOKING!! ( dont do it, sorry in caps.. just to emphasis.. who knows? you really did it and blame me later.. ) hehehehe..

WElcome to CS... now.. just enjoy shooting with that gadget... and post some of your collections.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.