One More K-7 Review.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is frankly a half-baked, cannot make it review... so I'm wondering if you went against your better judgement here by posting the link.
I think many on Pentaxforums have pointed out the many shortcomings of the review.
Anyway in terms of visual appeal, the website looks like it was created by a school kid using MS Frontpage more than 10 years ago... :thumbsd:

Last edited:
the reviewer forgot there's an info button to quick access/change options on the k7, and he conveniently called the menu and controls "hell". Unprofessional and not credible at all.

AF-wise, most users were reporting improvements, I've also read the AF is satisfactory for subject tracking like animals.

Reviews like this blatantly reflect their own ignorance and misinform readers, some of them even from supposedly credible sources. I'm wondering how many more such fail reviews we will get to read. :rolleyes:

Just to balance things, the K7 has it's quirks too, sometimes the buttons are slow to respond and require pressing twice. With lens correction turned on the camera can take a while to apply settings to your image before displaying on the LCD.

The luminous landscape review has been slammed on pentax forums and dpreview pentax subforums.

After reading it, I can certainly understand why. There is so much "I'm so used to XXX brand camera, so don't bother letting me know Pentax can do this, this and this... ; I will just wave off all the K7 features as useless and no-good"

Can't even call it a review, its more of a biased opinion.

well, some of these site owners are sponsored.

luminous landscapes isn't a horrible site overall, it has a lot of useful articles. it just could be that. :)

Gotta thank reviewers like these for generating more "Pentax awareness" tho.. ;:)bsmilie:

This is frankly a half-baked, cannot make it review... so I'm wondering if you went against your better judgement here by posting the link.
I think many on Pentaxforums have pointed out the many shortcomings of the review.
Anyway in terms of visual appeal, the website looks like it was created by a school kid using MS Frontpage more than 10 years ago... :thumbsd:

Fact is the article can be read by anyone especially newbies researching on which DSLR to buy. Putting it here at least gives pentaxians here a chance to right the wrongs. :) I don't think the rebuttals need to be on pentaxforums only. So many gurus here to address the wrong parts. :sweat:

Well, we can't expect every review or reviewer to be good and accurate and unbiased, just have to be discerning and able to sieve through the information. Like nightmare, I too think that Luminous Landscapes has quite a lot of good articles, but I find it hard to take this one seriously. eg. does anyone else think that this guy probably has way bigger than average hands?

Reviews are just like any other statistics, no need to get worked up over one or two bad ones.

Personally, I find some of the other articles by the site author to be rather informative. I think PP is his strength.

About this review, I do agree, as with many others have pointed out, that he seemed to have done it without putting in the due effort and time. You can read it in the writing. Compare this with what he wrote in the few recent Leica articles/reviews, it is obvious. Even the number of images on the page speaks for themselves.

Perhaps he wrote it from his perspective, one who is used to much much higher end gear. He did write that he had 4 other cameras to choose from at the time of testing the K-7 (which I suspect they consists of at least the Leica M9 and S2). Even the lenses he chose for the K-7 (all zooms) were based on his experiences and approach with C*, N* and the alpha900 he is used to. There are no Limiteds in his lens line-up, which puzzles me cos that's Pentax's USP (Unique Selling Point). If he had bothered to find out more about the camera and use/test it based on its design philosophy, I'm quite sure it would have been a different experience for him.

What I'm saying is that his approach to this test is flawed. I'm not saying he should say only the good stuff, or that the report lacks technical details (for that, we can refer to many excellent sites like DPReview and Imaging-resource, which incidentally gave a favorable conclusion). IMHO, I had expected more from a "PRO" photog.

Status
Not open for further replies.