One Lousy experience with a cab ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Kwok

Aug 23, 2008
Singapore
www.flickr.com
I am not going to name the driver, nor the license plate nor the cab company. But here is the lousy experience the I have that I would like to share and also 发泄 a bit.

This afternoon, I took a cab to office and upon reaching, (as usual), I realize that I have insufficient cash. While fumbling with my wallet, I found that I do have some malaysian ringgit and he saw and commented that I have 50 dollars. i told him it's ringgit and I told him I offer a better exchange rate in advantage of him if he wanted. I also mentioned that if he is not comfortable, then just drive me to the nearest UOB ATM to make a withdrawal. In any case, my intention is to just pay up without short changing him at all. In fact, in my mind, since he is going to make more journey, he will earn more also. I told him of the nearest MRT and he insist of not going there and going to somewhere else, name it Point A, I thought he have reservation that I will run away, so I explicitly mentioned I will place my bag in the car and he don't have to worry. He refuse my suggestion and insist on going to Point A. For your info, items in my bag is worth more than 2 months of his salary driving cab.

Then he drove to Point B instead! It's not Point A that he mentioned which is much further away. I think, what the heck, no diff to me, just a few dollars more which I am intended to pay. On the way, he keep on mumbling things that if I told him right from the start that I will pay him ringgit, he will accept but instead I told him at the end of the journey and that I should 脚踏实地 (means be realistic in my life), and if it's DBS, it's easier to find (what the heck, I told him explicitly where is the nearest UOB). I am totally annoyed by numerous negative feedback along the way that I just keep quiet and let him have his way.

I decided to take down the feedback hotline and also the license plate for a complain because I feel totally insulted despite I am doing him a favor having more business and also I'm being nice for not short changing him. Then I saw OCBC atm which I can withdraw cash too, so I requested him to stop. Upon doing so, I withdraw the money and when I'm back, I saw the meter is 12.90 and I just place 14 dollars (10 + 2 + 2) and walk out of the cab. He also call shout out to me and I totally ignored and close the door. What an arse-hole...

I took another cab and reached my office. First thing I call up the cab office and the operator pick up. I ask her to direct me to the department where I can make a feedback and complain. She redirected me and took like 2mins for someone to finally pick up. IN the middle of the waiting, I was thinking: Either there are just too many complains, or they are not interested in my complain ? In any case, I waited and think, they better pick up, if not, I will escalate the matter further to the media if necessary.

Finally someone picked up and she said it's the Lost and Found depart. What der....... I say is this the place to also feedback and complain. I make my complain and especially mentioned that I feel the cab driver has "mental" problem and refuse to listen to my explanation and also insulting to me. They will better look seriously into the problem. SHe promise to get back to me after the investigation.

I will wait and see at the moment. If the company don't give me a good satisfactory explanation, I will escalate. As a consumer, I feel I have all the right to demand. But being nice, I try to put myself in their shoe and make sure they don't suffer because of my issue. But in the end, I got "spit into my face" for being nice. Hence for this incident, I will show that I also have my "bad" side when someone step on my tail!

Look on the bright side.
You can afford to take cab ride.
Many in Singapore are poor.

The difficulty to submit a complaint is not an accident. It is deliberate. That is why Singaporeans sometimes have no choice but to complain to the highest office in the land or somewhere near the top. Only when they see the complaint letter is redirected by PMO, then and only then do the management of the taxi company bother to even look into your complaint. This is real. Many outsiders do not understand this situation, and they comment that Singaporeans just love to complain to their MPs or higher.

Erm. Okay I'm quite "happy" today. Not much affected except just need grunt a bit. Thanks for your console. ;)
But what does it have to do with I'm rich to take a cab, or poor ?
I'm just not happy that I'm insulted for nothing, as if I rob him of his luxury or exploited him in anyway. And seriously, as usual, Singapore service line have to look deep into customer service attitude.

I don't enjoy complaining because it's tedious process and extra work for me too. :) I have just read the LTA webpage and will consider escalate to LTA, at least a black and white report is there even if it serve little purpose, for they will just pass it back to the cab company management. But if they can related 2 complains and can see the escalation, I suppose they will know where they will see the next level will be.

That being said, it's just a side track from my daily life. Not especially affected by it, but it should worth a topic to mention

Look on the bright side.
You can afford to take cab ride.
Many in Singapore are poor.

The difficulty to submit a complaint is not an accident. It is deliberate. That is why Singaporeans sometimes have no choice but to complain to the highest office in the land or somewhere near the top. Only when they see the complaint letter is redirected by PMO, then and only then do the management of the taxi company bother to even look into your complaint. This is real. Many outsiders do not understand this situation, and they comment that Singaporeans just love to complain to their MPs or higher.

I agree that you should provide feedback to the taxi company and that the driver does not have the best of attitudes but I'd like to highlight that the tone used in the segment below does not sit well with me.

For your info, items in my bag is worth more than 2 months of his salary driving cab.

To be honest, even if you have a pile of diamonds in there, there is no need to compare it to anyone's salary.

Last edited:
Cant you just pay by NETs?

It depends on the cab company, I think. Not every taxi company allows for NETS payment - I think only Comfort, with a 30 cents surcharge for "admin fees"?

Of course, there is always credit card payment, but IIRC there is a 10% surcharge.

Please don't get it wrong, my mentioning of this is to just bring out the point that I'm not short changing him nor it's not some of the case where customer left a useless bag there and ran away type. By no means I'm comparing each others' fortune. He has his own, I don't care. I have mine, I'm ain't rich either. I just casually mention it here to tell that I have sufficient mortgage for what the taxi fee worth. I think u read too much into this aspect.

I agree that you should provide feedback to the taxi company and that the driver does not have the best of attitudes but I'd like to highlight that the tone used in the segment below does not sit well with me.

To be honest, even if you have a pile of diamonds in there, there is no need to compare it to anyone's salary.

Last edited:
No other options except cash. I did later saw Ezlink option, but that's when I wanna get off the cab already. Even so, I see that has a side talk and truly doesn't justify why I need to end up being treated this way.

It depends on the cab company, I think. Not every taxi company allows for NETS payment - I think only Comfort, with a 30 cents surcharge for "admin fees"?

Of course, there is always credit card payment, but IIRC there is a 10% surcharge.

LOLzzz u must've been in smart office attire and he a bitter formerly retrenched white-collar office worker before he drove a cab ..... :bsmilie:

:) Okay, I think I agree it must be unlucky moment for me to meet up with such incident. In any case, I am in shirt and jeans.

LOLzzz u must've been in smart office attire and he a bitter formerly retrenched white-collar office worker before he drove a cab ..... :bsmilie:

No other options except cash. I did later saw Ezlink option, but that's when I wanna get off the cab already. Even so, I see that has a side talk and truly doesn't justify why I need to end up being treated this way.

I think DeSwitch is asking if there was any other way out, i.e. you could have offered to pay by NETs, or credit card, etc..

This would have resolved the conflict straight out if these options were available, no?

I asked for Nets and CC and both are out. He didn't mentioned he have EzLink option until I found out very much later when I look down when I place my $14 and walk away in frustration. I see no conflict right from the beginning. It is not the first time I have no cash with me until I realize when I look into my wallet at the end of the journey. Each time the cab driver will just help to drive me to the nearest ATM, I get the money, pay him more to get back to the original destination. Only this time, this cab driver reacted with such weird behavior that totally annoyed me.

I think DeSwitch is asking if there was any other way out, i.e. you could have offered to pay by NETs, or credit card, etc..

This would have resolved the conflict straight out if these options were available, no?

Please don't get it wrong, my mentioning of this is to just bring out the point that I'm not short changing him nor it's not some of the case where customer left a useless bag there and ran away type. By no means I'm comparing each others' fortune. He has his own, I don't care. I have mine, I'm ain't rich either. I just casually mention it here to tell that I have sufficient mortgage for what the taxi fee worth. I think u read too much into this aspect.
Well, perhaps it is the language used.

On a separate note, to be honest, as the taxi driver, I would not know what is inside your bag. Even if you show me 10 Rolexes and 3 gold bars and a D3, and left it there and vanished, it may not be my luckiest day. What if you happened to be say, a heroin drug dealer and beneath these 10 Rolexes and 3 gold bars and D3 was a pile of crap that would be my problem?

My suggestion is to always check before you board the cab in future... I always ensure I have enough cash. If I don't, I will ask the cab driver if they accept alternative forms of payment before I board. This will avoid such issues in future... That said, like I've mentioned earlier, the cab driver's behaviour is not acceptable but if we are all more gracious and careful, this world will be a better place. Cheers.

I asked for Nets and CC and both are out. He didn't mentioned he have EzLink option until I found out very much later when I look down when I place my $14 and walk away in frustration. I see no conflict right from the beginning. It is not the first time I have no cash with me until I realize when I look into my wallet at the end of the journey. Each time the cab driver will just help to drive me to the nearest ATM, I get the money, pay him more to get back to the original destination. Only this time, this cab driver reacted with such weird behavior that totally annoyed me.

For all you know, perhaps he got ripped off thrice in the past week from customers that melted into nothingness after alighting to draw cash. :)

退一步,海阔天空。 Things have happened, sometimes people have their reasons. You have given your feedback, my suggestion is to follow up with an email to the company in question, and then move on. :)

Thanks for your advice. I think my language used is very courteous and polite. There is absolutely no reason for me to get flare up because i know it's my fault for not checking that I have sufficient cash. I think I am very gracious to him. I give him all that is required to him to go extra mile. I didn't force him on anything. I didn't demand that he has to accept anything out of his means. But given that situation, the only way is to get somewhere where I can draw money for me right ? Not like there is a lot of way out isn't it ? I smile at him when I ask if he could just drive me to the ATM I know is the nearest for me to withdraw the money. I don't see why he need to refuse and instead go his way. Not like it will be less risk to him, should I decide to run away. I also think in his position and voluntarily offer to put my stuff as a mortgage. Is there more information I can provide to you to clear your doubts ?

Well, perhaps it is the language used.

On a separate note, to be honest, as the taxi driver, I would not know what is inside your bag. Even if you show me 10 Rolexes and 3 gold bars and a D3, and left it there and vanished, it may not be my luckiest day. What if you happened to be say, a heroin drug dealer and beneath these 10 Rolexes and 3 gold bars and D3 was a pile of crap that would be my problem?

My suggestion is to always check before you board the cab in future... I always ensure I have enough cash. If I don't, I will ask the cab driver if they accept alternative forms of payment before I board. This will avoid such issues in future... That said, like I've mentioned earlier, the cab driver's behaviour is not acceptable but if we are all more gracious and careful, this world will be a better place. Cheers.

Nowadays cab driver very kuai lan liao, especially comfort cab, maybe biz too good or they were some retrenched pmet, carry too much pride. Two days ago I was waiting for cab at market st taxi stand, happened they are changing shift at around 4pm, so for good 10 15mins no cab, some empty one going to specific place, one going to tampines and I mentioned I am going to eunos, I tot on the way should be high chance, who knows he doesn't even think twice and sped off, that is call good service attitude? At least he can decline politely, at the end Bo pian call in, was put on music for another 5 mins, again prob all the cabs biz too good, eventually someone collected the call after 5mins I guess, while waiting suddenly one red cab stop for me, no need extra and he is humble and chatty, he really make up for what a frustrated experience. IMO our cab service are mix bag with white and black sheep, so it depends on ur luck which one u are in. I was in batam last week and I can say almost all my ride was treated like a king, that's what I call good service.

I am not going to name the driver, nor the license plate nor the cab company. But here is the lousy experience the I have that I would like to share and also 发泄 a bit.

This afternoon, I took a cab to office and upon reaching, (as usual), I realize that I have insufficient cash. While fumbling with my wallet, I found that I do have some malaysian ringgit and he saw and commented that I have 50 dollars. i told him it's ringgit and I told him I offer a better exchange rate in advantage of him if he wanted. I also mentioned that if he is not comfortable, then just drive me to the nearest UOB ATM to make a withdrawal. In any case, my intention is to just pay up without short changing him at all. In fact, in my mind, since he is going to make more journey, he will earn more also. I told him of the nearest MRT and he insist of not going there and going to somewhere else, name it Point A, I thought he have reservation that I will run away, so I explicitly mentioned I will place my bag in the car and he don't have to worry. He refuse my suggestion and insist on going to Point A. For your info, items in my bag is worth more than 2 months of his salary driving cab.

Then he drove to Point B instead! It's not Point A that he mentioned which is much further away. I think, what the heck, no diff to me, just a few dollars more which I am intended to pay. On the way, he keep on mumbling things that if I told him right from the start that I will pay him ringgit, he will accept but instead I told him at the end of the journey and that I should 脚踏实地 (means be realistic in my life), and if it's DBS, it's easier to find (what the heck, I told him explicitly where is the nearest UOB). I am totally annoyed by numerous negative feedback along the way that I just keep quiet and let him have his way.

I decided to take down the feedback hotline and also the license plate for a complain because I feel totally insulted despite I am doing him a favor having more business and also I'm being nice for not short changing him. Then I saw OCBC atm which I can withdraw cash too, so I requested him to stop. Upon doing so, I withdraw the money and when I'm back, I saw the meter is 12.90 and I just place 14 dollars (10 + 2 + 2) and walk out of the cab. He also call shout out to me and I totally ignored and close the door. What an arse-hole...

I took another cab and reached my office. First thing I call up the cab office and the operator pick up. I ask her to direct me to the department where I can make a feedback and complain. She redirected me and took like 2mins for someone to finally pick up. IN the middle of the waiting, I was thinking: Either there are just too many complains, or they are not interested in my complain ? In any case, I waited and think, they better pick up, if not, I will escalate the matter further to the media if necessary.

Finally someone picked up and she said it's the Lost and Found depart. What der....... I say is this the place to also feedback and complain. I make my complain and especially mentioned that I feel the cab driver has "mental" problem and refuse to listen to my explanation and also insulting to me. They will better look seriously into the problem. SHe promise to get back to me after the investigation.

I will wait and see at the moment. If the company don't give me a good satisfactory explanation, I will escalate. As a consumer, I feel I have all the right to demand. But being nice, I try to put myself in their shoe and make sure they don't suffer because of my issue. But in the end, I got "spit into my face" for being nice. Hence for this incident, I will show that I also have my "bad" side when someone step on my tail!

I understand your plight...
Would be good for you if you make it a point to bring sufficent cash along in future to avoid such nasty situations! :)

I'm curious... what would you say is a satisfactory explanation?

Haven't seen you in CS for a long while, wb :)
Take a lot of cab rides because of work and it's mere probability that I do encounter less than desirable drivers
I've been pissed and have called to give my forceful pov, but like the above, I usually regain some sense when I ask myself what do I really hope to achieve by lambasting the poor call-line person
And those conversations usually end up with me reminding them to place this as an infraction and hope that they educate said driver (and all their drivers); I would like to believe that as a business, they too wouldn't want to keep bad hats which consistently score disciplinary points

Would like to disagree that 'if complain must go all the way up because there's always some secret conspiracy to cover up and tai chi the problem away'
I think we simply place a lot of self-righteousness in ourselves to speak for the other downtrodden and taken advantage of, to right the wrongs in the world
Am guilty of that at times lol

Status
Not open for further replies.