one lens for all

hypothetically, which one lens can be used for a whole AD wedding shoot?
85mm f1.4?

Hypothetically, assuming refined sensor density and incredible ISO performance, a 24mm F2 on Full Frame. All pictures can be cropped from that. But no one would want to do that. Perspective control will be a nightmare.

I don't think it would be smart to use only 1 lens to cover an AD wedding, especially of the couple are paying clients.

But if you insist on doing so, I'd go for versatility of a zoom lens, such as the various 18-200mm, Nikon's 18-300mm or Canon's 24-105mm / Nikon's 24-120mm.

hypothetically, which one lens can be used for a whole AD wedding shoot?
85mm f1.4?

You can use only one lens 85mm f1.4 if you are not the official AD wedding photographer :bsmilie:

hypothetically or not - I would never hire a 1 lens wedding photographer for a start... 1 camera as well right?... if something goes wrong you have ruined their wedding - be responsible to your customer. :)

Use a 17-35 / 16-40 f2.8 / f4 type lens, and in a lens in the 50 or 85 1.4 range, and get out the 70-200 f2.8 area at least.

Weddings are not cheap for a reason......

LOL, ya quite true. But one lens for all does not necessarily mean bringing just ONE lens lah. The photographer could hv brought two 85mm and two bodies, right? Just that he prefers to carry only one lens on one body...hypothetically

LOL, ya quite true. But one lens for all does not necessarily mean bringing just ONE lens lah. The photographer could hv brought two 85mm and two bodies, right? Just that he prefers to carry only one lens on one body...hypothetically
if you have done wedding shoot before, you should know would that be possible or not.

if you have done wedding shoot before, you should know would that be possible or not.

ya, agree.
it is just hypothetical. I guess nobody has tried that. Just exploring.

Understand some folks are doing available light. Wonder if zooms would be able to handle.
of course, on the other hand, state of the art bodies might be able to compensate with their high iso

ya, agree.
it is just hypothetical. I guess nobody has tried that. Just exploring.

Understand some folks are doing available light. Wonder if zooms would be able to handle.
of course, on the other hand, state of the art bodies might be able to compensate with their high iso
sure you can,
just simply tell the wedding couple, I don't do this, I don't do that, I don't shoot this this this and this, I will only shoot what I think is suitable for me to shoot.

so no surprise for the wedding couple on their wedding day and you will not get sued after their wedding.

Last edited:
rhino123 said:
Why cannot? As long as it fit my style and the client is okay with it ;)

Group shots at the table leh?

sure you can,
just simply tell the wedding couple, I don't do this, I don't do that, I don't shoot this this this and this, I will only shoot what I think is suitable for me to shoot.

so no surprise for the wedding couple on their wedding day and you will not get sued after their wedding.

most likely the photographer will never get hired in the first place :bsmilie:

also. if you need one lens to shoot everything, you need to travel deep into Mordor, and search within the Fires of Mount Doom.

Last edited:
catchlights said:
what will you do if you are using a 70-200 lens for shooting table group photos?

Stand like super far? Idk seriously. I've not done wedding photography and I guess that question is best posed to rhino123,which was what I did? That said I've not seen anyone using a 70-200 for such group shots.

But then he can do it but standing so far, people will cut in and it's frustrating!

Stand like super far? Idk seriously. I've not done wedding photography and I guess that question is best posed to rhino123,which was what I did? That said I've not seen anyone using a 70-200 for such group shots.

But then he can do it but standing so far, people will cut in and it's frustrating!
very simple, stand on the stage and shoot table group shots from there.

Oops... never tot of group photo :embrass: Too long never do wedding, only think of shooting the couples.

will tell the couples in advance that "I don't do group shots. eg Table group" :bsmilie:

tell the couple "eh ask your camwhoring friends to bring their own camera, one camera per table, ownself shoot group photo" :bsmilie:

I ever stand on the stage to shoot table group photos, not becos I'm using a 70-200 lens, it is becos the restaurant is so cramp, and total 70++ tables, there is no room between VIP tables and the stage, so I have to stand on stage to shoot table group photos. and some have to shoot across from the next table.

I ever stand on the stage to shoot table group photos, not becos I'm using a 70-200 lens, it is becos the restaurant is so cramp, and total 70++ tables, there is no room between VIP tables and the stage, so I have to stand on stage to shoot table group photos. and some have to shoot across from the next table.

yup understandable... i guess sometimes had to see situation.

did you prone down?