Onboard graphic card VS Dedicated Graphic Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

iboey

Jun 16, 2006
Eastern Singapore
www.iboey.com
Do you guys notice there is a difference in viewing the pictures? I have 2 laptops. One with dedicated graphic card and the other is using intel GMA onboard. The intel onboard seems to produce some artifacts while viewing pictures in CS, flickr etc. Whereas the dedicated card lappy has no problem. Both running on 2gb ram. Do you guys experience this before?

Are you using 2 different brands? So far, macbooks and macbook pros have the same output, though 2 different graphics cards.

Are you using 2 different brands? So far, macbooks and macbook pros have the same output, though 2 different graphics cards.

Ya 2 diff brand. My acer is producing better picture coz of the dedicated graphic card. The other HP compaq is a let down.

Ya 2 diff brand. My acer is producing better picture coz of the dedicated graphic card. The other HP compaq is a let down.

Your screen =.=" not the same.

my dell and IBM no diff.

price diff is 50%

Do you guys notice there is a difference in viewing the pictures? I have 2 laptops. One with dedicated graphic card and the other is using intel GMA onboard. The intel onboard seems to produce some artifacts while viewing pictures in CS, flickr etc. Whereas the dedicated card lappy has no problem. Both running on 2gb ram. Do you guys experience this before?

What you are describing sounds like a driver problem. From what i know the intel GMA is quite good for 2D graphics, it is in 3D graphics that it fails (slow, tears in the image).

You could maybe try upgrading/reinstalling the drivers? Photo processing is 2D (so is watching videos) so the intel chip should technically do fine.

THe LCD screen of the laptop you are using make the major difference. In my opinion, graphic card play a minimum role in displaying photo but the LCD display make a world of difference.

Ic. So far the intel GMA on my HP is giving artifacts in picture and video but ok for everything. :dunno:

im on compaq and intel GMA, infact the much older extreme II, so far no problem even attaching to LCD at 1680x1050.

anyway a easy way to test is attach both to the same external LCD

of course the quality of the picture wld seem to be diff. a onboard gfx card is "free" and how much did you pay for the dedicated one?
the color saturations wld be the most obvious difference in this case if im not wrong?

of course the quality of the picture wld seem to be diff. a onboard gfx card is "free" and how much did you pay for the dedicated one?
the color saturations wld be the most obvious difference in this case if im not wrong?

erm, TS is talking abt laptop graphics. you don't actually pay for the dedicated graphics. you pay for the whole laptop altogether.

erm, TS is talking abt laptop graphics. you don't actually pay for the dedicated graphics. you pay for the whole laptop altogether.

correct me if im wrong, but u pay more for the non on-board one right? its like a upgrade?

What you are describing sounds like a driver problem. From what i know the intel GMA is quite good for 2D graphics, it is in 3D graphics that it fails (slow, tears in the image).

You could maybe try upgrading/reinstalling the drivers? Photo processing is 2D (so is watching videos) so the intel chip should technically do fine.
interesting point... could be the case as laptop manufacturers usually modify their drivers and are usually not very on the ball in updating them...

correct me if im wrong, but u pay more for the non on-board one right? its like a upgrade?
that is the case for Dell and some companies that offer upgrades and modifications... but for most companies, the setup they offer you is the setup you can buy, not more, not less... it's cause they reduce cost and increase speed of production by reducing the number of different specifications they have to produce :)

Status
Not open for further replies.