On staying in dorms

That's a good suggestion to buy Abloy padlocks.

Cheers.

when staying in dorm-style accomodations , I ALWAYS bring along my own lock for the locker.... eg Abloy because these locks are not only strong..... its also almost impossible for even a trained locksmith to pick open...... and they last forever .... plus lifetime warranty

Any would-be thief is going to have to literally tear the entire locker apart just to gain access .....$20-30 i think from most hardware stores

AVOID those $1-$3 type Triple Ring, Phoenix, Globe etc etc el-cheapo brands .... just look strong but essentially useless

ABLOY PADLOCKS

Where are you going by the way?

Like Vietnam, they don't have a lot of dorms but rooms are cheap. Cambodia is similar. China, there are some quality dorms - limit to 4 -6 pple per dorm, the probability is less. England, hopelessly dirty and expensive. Paris, similar as well. Australia, there are limited ones and they are pretty dirty too.

Think I better planned my trip to Laos now, my feet and heart are itching.

when you going to laos? been looking for some kakis.. :)

I disagree with the single rooms mentality.

I have been backpacking for more than 10 years. I am a lone lady backpacker and living in dorms was one of the best ways to know people and find travelling companions. I still have a number of good friends that I knew when I travelled years ago and we are still friends after 10 years. Thoroughly enjoyed some good conversation i have with individuals.

When you travel, regardless whether you staying a dorm or a single room, you have to learn to protect yourself and valuables. Be street smart. Keep your expensive belongings with you at all times. Don't expose them unnecessarily. Apart from your cameras or netbook, i can't see if there is anything really expensive that you need to bring.

This world needs a little trust. Believe it or not, I have travelled China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Europe and Australia, I have been lucky and never get my stuff stolen. Just need to be alert of any suspicious pple. However, if you have do lose something, u just have to accept it. I heard of fellow travellers that have lost his entire backpack in the train station to a robber.

Backpacking is about exploring the unknowns, knowing a little more in depth of the place you go, experiencing a more local lifestyle, communicating with people you learnt to trust and travelling the off beaten tracks. Open your heart and you will take in more than you can imagine.

Enjoy.

for sure staying in dorms allow you more easy contact with people. ultimately it is a balance between taking risk and exploring chances. like what u say, just have to accept it.

i was wondering if the location will have a bearing on the type of precaution. some places you feel more safe with some money in the hotel room and some places you feel more safe on your body. sometimes it is just a matter of luck, or a matter of when the unlucky day when finally fall. and that had just finally fall on me. hmm. i'm thinking if i can use a smaller camera and get it more closely held to me at all times, though the problem is i used filters and the camera still wouldn't be small.

Last edited:
noted... abloy
thank you

when staying in dorm-style accomodations , I ALWAYS bring along my own lock for the locker.... eg Abloy because these locks are not only strong..... its also almost impossible for even a trained locksmith to pick open...... and they last forever .... plus lifetime warranty

Any would-be thief is going to have to literally tear the entire locker apart just to gain access .....$20-30 i think from most hardware stores

AVOID those $1-$3 type Triple Ring, Phoenix, Globe etc etc el-cheapo brands .... just look strong but essentially useless

ABLOY PADLOCKS

It's true Abloy locks are very strong. Tested and proven during my time in army. No way to cut it by using manual cutter, small dent only when use full body force, got to use electric cutter from workshop. But when using it, make sure you don't lose the key. :sweat:

usually i booked through hostelbooker.com,
there you can see whether they provide you private locker / storage... ( or you can read the review )
so far, i always got locker / storage during my trip, but sometimes they didn't provide the lock so you just need to bring your own padlock....