On site group/family shoot

naruto4836

Mar 28, 2011
Konoha Village
Hello ,

Need some advice on the charges for a local , on site ,indoor group/family portrait shoot. The group involve about 15 people followed by a break out to smaller group/family of 3~4 smaller group shoot. The deliverables include

1. Professional service
2. Different sizes of photos
3. Photos saved in CD

How does the charges goes ? by Time base eg. per hr @ $xx , min 2hrs .

Or do you go by per head count eg. the group have 15 people so charge at $xx X 15 ppl ?

Or just a package price ?

Welcome any comment /questions etc.

Btw , its a friend request so I will most likely give a discount rate......

Thanks.

Best Regards

My advise is you need to work out your cost of doing business.

the reason is very simple, not every photographers having the same cost of doing business, this is just barely cover your expenses, we are not talking about making a profit yet.
so even you don't make it, you won't lose too much.

copying the figure from another photographers is the worst thing you can do for yourself, just like you copy the answers from another student during exam.
How do you know this student have all the answers correct? and why ain't you study for your exam in the first place?

In the beginning of your business, you won't have the figures of all the expenses yet, but it will show up somewhere and sometime later. the principle is still apply, just revise your charge from time to time.

hope this help.

Hello ,

Need some advice on the charges for a local , on site ,indoor group/family portrait shoot. The group involve about 15 people followed by a break out to smaller group/family of 3~4 smaller group shoot. The deliverables include

1. Professional service
2. Different sizes of photos
3. Photos saved in CD

How does the charges goes ? by Time base eg. per hr @ $xx , min 2hrs .

Or do you go by per head count eg. the group have 15 people so charge at $xx X 15 ppl ?

Or just a package price ?

Welcome any comment /questions etc.

Btw , its a friend request so I will most likely give a discount rate......

Thanks.

Best Regards

Before asking about how to charge, ask yourself a question that if you can handle the shoot.

Shooting a group is not an easy task.

If photography is as simple as having a camera and charge $x amount for a shoot, there will be no poor people in this world.

So think about it.

Hart

Assuming you're doing this as a business, start by figuring out how much time you will be putting into this shoot – starting from pre-shoot planning, actual shoot, to post-production, to delivery. Then you're on your way to figure out your C.O.D.B. ;p

See: http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2013/08/01/how-to-succeed-as-a-creative-long-term-know-your-c-o-d-b/

Hi Kandinsky,

Thank you for the input and share.

Best Regards

My advise is you need to work out your cost of doing business.

the reason is very simple, not every photographers having the same cost of doing business, this is just barely cover your expenses, we are not talking about making a profit yet.
so even you don't make it, you won't lose too much.

copying the figure from another photographers is the worst thing you can do for yourself, just like you copy the answers from another student during exam.
How do you know this student have all the answers correct? and why ain't you study for your exam in the first place?

In the beginning of your business, you won't have the figures of all the expenses yet, but it will show up somewhere and sometime later. the principle is still apply, just revise your charge from time to time.

hope this help.

Hi Catchlights,

Thank you for sharing . Cost consideration is not my top priority at the moment. But I do agreed with you that cost is always there and will need to be consider from a business POV .

I just need a guide on the method of charging that is base on the industry .

Thanks.

Best Regards

Before asking about how to charge, ask yourself a question that if you can handle the shoot.

Shooting a group is not an easy task.

If photography is as simple as having a camera and charge $x amount for a shoot, there will be no poor people in this world.

So think about it.

Hart

Hi Agetan,

Thank you for the input .

I can't say have done a formal group shoot before , but do have a rough ideal on the huge task at hand.

Well, there is always a first time .... so will crack my head on how to go about doing it .

Best Regards

Hi Agetan,

Thank you for the input .

I can't say have done a formal group shoot before , but do have a rough ideal on the huge task at hand.

Well, there is always a first time .... so will crack my head on how to go about doing it .

Best Regards

Of course.

Not try to stop you from doing it, but if you are willing to put on some learning hat prior to the shoot would be a good start.

Taking the photos are not difficult, but handling the big group especially if you have young children will be challenging. Take as much time as needed to get 1 shot right (that is everyone looking at you with smile and light it correctly).

I usually charge above $2.5k for large family shoot for shoot and some products if you want to know a rough guide in rates.

Good luck.

Regards,

Hart

Hi Catchlights,

Thank you for sharing . Cost consideration is not my top priority at the moment. But I do agreed with you that cost is always there and will need to be consider from a business POV .

I just need a guide on the method of charging that is base on the industry .

Thanks.

Best Regards
One thing you might want to take note, if you don't let your customers know how much this think might cost them, and you are doing them a BIG favour for charging whatever price just to land the job.
they have no idea the portrait photography is that costly, they will start to see other photographers are charging exorbitant price. and such thinking will be passing around to every people they know.

when the day you decide to charge decently, they will say think you for your kind consideration, and go and find another sucker able to do whatever you have done last time.

Happy shooting.

One thing you might want to take note, if you don't let your customers know how much this think might cost them, and you are doing them a BIG favour for charging whatever price just to land the job.
they have no idea the portrait photography is that costly, they will start to see other photographers are charging exorbitant price. and such thinking will be passing around to every people they know.

when the day you decide to charge decently, they will say think you for your kind consideration, and go and find another sucker able to do whatever you have done last time.

Happy shooting.

This is happen all the time.

For those who is a beginner, they will never understand why professional charge what we charge...

I have seen even those call "professional" don't agree with charge that professional charge... uhm... perhaps those weekender who think they do everyone a big favor while killing the photography community.

Regards,

Hart

It is a free market today. Everyone has right to charge amount that can work with.

At the end of the day, you know your target market segment and charge according to this. Photography is art so ppl appreciate and value differently .

Simple for Pre wedding , the market price is around 3 to 4k those target in mid income group. Ppl in china willing to pay USD95 000 to USD to 150 000 for unique Pre wedding oversea shoot.

So u decide yourself on where you are and know the ppl that you target for .

Good luck.

Know why in the first place they approach you first. For your specialty and expert knowledge? For your professionalism and assurance of service? For your unique style? For convenience? For friendship? For reputation? For saving money? For shopping around asking prices first?

From there you can gauge what kind of price will they pay and if you are comfortable with it.

Theres-always-someone-who-will-do-it-cheaper.jpg