On/Off external flash quick

slmka

Dec 5, 2004
I am using a 550D + YN 468 Flash. Is there anyway I can leave the flash power on but not firing the flash when I take a photo? and enable it when I need it? Because I found I may not need a flash for every shoot, but turning on/off the flash will take me another 3-4 secs of pressing and charging.

thx =)

spree86

Feb 3, 2009
Bishan
www.flickr.com
I am using a 550D + YN 468 Flash. Is there anyway I can leave the flash power on but not firing the flash when I take a photo? and enable it when I need it? Because I found I may not need a flash for every shoot, but turning on/off the flash will take me another 3-4 secs of pressing and charging.

thx =)
Just off the flash at the camera side, tell the camera not to trigger the flash.

slmka

Dec 5, 2004
even if I use custom menu, it will still takes a few clicks before I can reach it. Is there any other options? Thx

spree86

Feb 3, 2009
Bishan
www.flickr.com
slmka said:
even if I use custom menu, it will still takes a few clicks before I can reach it. Is there any other options? Thx
I'm a Nikon user, so not sure about that but don't think the 550D has shortcut buttons for that

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
Because I found I may not need a flash for every shoot, but turning on/off the flash will take me another 3-4 secs of pressing and charging.
Really? :think:
Just switching off the flash doesn't mean the capacitors get discharged. They will keep the charge for quite some time. Which means, if you switch on the flash again it's ready without delay for charging.

wdEvA

Sep 1, 2006
etanphotography.com
Really? :think:
Just switching off the flash doesn't mean the capacitors get discharged. They will keep the charge for quite some time. Which means, if you switch on the flash again it's ready without delay for charging.
hmm, I think the reason of the delay is due to the way the YN is designed.
The on button have to be pressed for awhile before the flash is turned on, unlike Canon flashes where it's just a flick of the switch.

TS, maybe you wanna switch to a Canon flash? or maybe even upgrade to a body that has custom functions with the turn of the dial?

Top Bottom