On holiday with your DSLR - excessive clicking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

microcosm

Sep 17, 2006
Was having coffee and chatting with a friend lately... and he was telling me how his wife was very cheesed off lately when the family went on holiday and he brought his kit with him and spent most of the time taking photos.

While the pictures were really good, but his wife was mad at him for spending all the time shooting, and did not stop to "take in the view". Which he was confused.

I told him it was because he spent too much time with the camera than being with his wife. That is why the missus was pissed off.

Has this happened to you before? Whether it is girlfriends or wives. Or your mates.

Are we so into shooting these days that we forget that we are on holiday for a reason?

When I was on holiday recently, most of the time my wife just continue walking whenever I stopped to take some pictures. Couldn't hang around long to check and take more shots and gotta play catching up with her as I was worried she might get lost in a foreign land. That would spell trouble.

my wife is only pissed off if she isn't in the picture.

if you are having fun shooting the scenery, then you must be enjoying your holiday :bsmilie:

just came back from one. no complaints from the missus :bsmilie: just remember to include the family in the photos once in a while ;p

For myself, I will not spend too much times on shooting if on family holiday. It will be good to spend the good time with them rather then spending most of your time looking thru the viewfinder.

What you see thru the viewfinder may be totally different when you see together with your family, camera aside.

At my sisters wedding last week I held back from running around taking photographs all day... horhor, but when on holiday with camera, or just going places in general, it's good to take a break once in a while, and relax :) or just do what makes wife happy

I kinda understand this. There's the urge to capture as much memories of the holiday as possible.

Unless your trip is all about photography, think it's better to just enjoy the sights and experience.

went with family for a holiday... came back ... mum and dad complained...
"why all your pics not a single soul in there one?" "how come so few photos of us?"
haha...

Juz say, tat you are enjoying the holiday and is trying to capture it's memories.

However, also have to accompany her lah. Dun juz happy happy snap snap....later, she snap your head off. :sweat:

It's one of the reasons I'm ambivalent about photography. To take a really good picture is so hard-- light has to be exactly right, composition, tripod, shutter speed/apeture, focal length, etc. must all be right-- that I can't take the time to enjoy the beautiful scenery any more, but I have to focus and concentrate on when to press the shutter. This means I can't experience the moment, unlike those without cameras.

Sigh...

Usually when I go overseas, I'd prefer to go alone for the simple reason - I can shoot what I like, where I like and take my own sweet time to wait, compose.

With another chap in tow? Forget it, I'll be happy enough if they don't go *tsk-tsk* if they see me taking more than 30secs for a photo.

Usually all my photos turn crap when I've got someone in tow for holiday, turns out nothing more than blind snapshots and disappointing photos that people will say, "Very nice." when I know I can do a lot better than just taking 5secs for a photo.

Usually when I go overseas, I'd prefer to go alone for the simple reason - I can shoot what I like, where I like and take my own sweet time to wait, compose.

With another chap in tow? Forget it, I'll be happy enough if they don't go *tsk-tsk* if they see me taking more than 30secs for a photo.

Usually all my photos turn crap when I've got someone in tow for holiday, turns out nothing more than blind snapshots and disappointing photos that people will say, "Very nice." when I know I can do a lot better than just taking 5secs for a photo.

Very true. With ur family in tow, must of the time u don't even have sufficient time to look for the right angle and compose a good shot. Either the family members will be nagging or they just continue walking leaving u without the peace of mind to do a good shot.

Ha ha.

Firstly, my wife is the one who "organises" all the holiday snapshots: "Take here, in front of this" "Take there..." I just press the shutter, and occasionally help to cajole the kids when they do not cooperate in posing for the picture.

Secondly, it's a very useful camouflage for the REAL shots I like to take, which are snapshots of the local inhabitants and fellow tourists. Everyone assumes I'm only interested in taking pictures of my family, but little do they know...

Good thing I'm not interested in landscapes. My wife once had a classmate who, when taking photos, used to tell people: "erm, could you move out of the way?"

Just like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY73rdR-Qh4

It's one of the reasons I'm ambivalent about photography. To take a really good picture is so hard-- light has to be exactly right, composition, tripod, shutter speed/apeture, focal length, etc. must all be right-- that I can't take the time to enjoy the beautiful scenery any more, but I have to focus and concentrate on when to press the shutter. This means I can't experience the moment, unlike those without cameras.

Sigh...
I beg to differ a little.

Where 'experiencing the moment' and 'capturing moments', a photographer knows psychologically what is coming from his subject and instead of basking in the afterglow, he would have knew the feeling beforehand and captures that afterglow in that 35mm film/sensor.

"The Photographer doesn't need to bask in the moment. He knows of the moment and lets the photo basks in it so that others can enjoy it."

Philosophically speaking that is. :)

Ha ha.

Firstly, my wife is the one who "organises" all the holiday snapshots: "Take here, in front of this" "Take there..." I just press the shutter, and occasionally help to cajole the kids when they do not cooperate in posing for the picture.

Secondly, it's a very useful camouflage for the REAL shots I like to take, which are snapshots of the local inhabitants and fellow tourists. Everyone assumes I'm only interested in taking pictures of my family, but little do they know...

Good thing I'm not interested in landscapes. My wife once had a classmate who, when taking photos, used to tell people: "erm, could you move out of the way?"

Just like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY73rdR-Qh4
Do teach us some tricks off ur book Master.... ;p

Was having coffee and chatting with a friend lately... and he was telling me how his wife was very cheesed off lately when the family went on holiday and he brought his kit with him and spent most of the time taking photos.

While the pictures were really good, but his wife was mad at him for spending all the time shooting, and did not stop to "take in the view". Which he was confused.

I told him it was because he spent too much time with the camera than being with his wife. That is why the missus was pissed off.

Has this happened to you before? Whether it is girlfriends or wives. Or your mates.

Are we so into shooting these days that we forget that we are on holiday for a reason?

Depend on the type of holidays...

I would definitely be snapping tons of pics when I go to Nepal next year with a friend...

But for this coming Christmas Holiz to Bangkok with my family, I would only take a P&S for family snapshots... Where got time to take the pic then enjoy the scenery? And the purpose of this trip is to SPEND TIME WITH FAMILY...

The last time I went Japan with a friend, he nearly got lost cos he was just walking on and on and on and I was taking my own sweet time to compose and shoot.

Eventually, I realised that and did 5sec snapshots. End up shoot nothing but simply "I've been here" photos.

It is not just the lack of time... It is the SHOPPING BAGS...

Imagine carrying the luggage and with tons of shooping bags...

My parents may just ask me to throw away my DSLR and Lens and helkp them to carry home loh... I think they are capable of that... :bsmilie:

Erm... Shop less? :dunno: Singapore do have shopping malls right? Unless u're talking abt buying stuff that's restricted to their own local markets...

Status
Not open for further replies.