On buying "expensive" telephoto lens

maisatomai

Deregistered
Oct 26, 2006
I wanted to buy a Canon telephoto lens or sigma lens which cost about $3-$4k (I don't know whether it can be considered expensive).

However, being new to photography, I totally do not know what to check (the checklist is very long and I really cannot tell the difference between a fungus and no fungus). I was wondering is it possible to pay some expert here to help me check the lens. If yes, how much should I pay?

Or is it possible to meet the seller @ canon service center where the canon people will help me check. I understand it will cost ~$100 but I think it is very worth it.

Any newbie tried this method before?

I think buying a new telephoto lens will solve your questions and your headache. No need to worry about it.

I wanted to buy a Canon telephoto lens or sigma lens which cost about $3-$4k (I don't know whether it can be considered expensive).

However, being new to photography, I totally do not know what to check (the checklist is very long and I really cannot tell the difference between a fungus and no fungus). I was wondering is it possible to pay some expert here to help me check the lens. If yes, how much should I pay?

Or is it possible to meet the seller @ canon service center where the canon people will help me check. I understand it will cost ~$100 but I think it is very worth it.

If it bothers you so much, why don't you just buy it new?

Hi, Since both seller/buyer don't know the condition of the lens, let the canon CS checks it and they share the cost between them and negotiate the price thereafter based on the condition of the lens and repair cost.

If you are willing to spend that much on a lens, get a canon. Durability and reliability are the main points for spending more.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/flashlight-test.htm
The above is the best way to check for cleanliness. Since you are buying it new, accept nothing less than perfection.

When it comes to focusing, bring it out for tests shoots on still life objects. Shoot wide open.

Get multiple quotes from different shops, telling them that you are paying by cash and quote inclusive of gst. Compare and shop around. Make sure they come with "Canon Singapore" warranty cards.

I prefer buying second hand as i am very rough with my things. My school textbook will always be without its cover in less than 2 months.

I prefer buying second hand as i am very rough with my things. My school textbook will always be without its cover in less than 2 months.

You sound like you will destroy the lens anyway. So why bother to know if there are problems? LOL :bsmilie: jokin.

Well, if you prefer to buy used, then you have to be prepared mentally that there are a lot more risks involved. Checking the optical elements using a flash light is one thing. There are other things you cannot see, like electronics etc... so there is no such thing as a risk free purchase of a pre-owned item.

You sound like you will destroy the lens anyway. So why bother to know if there are problems? LOL :bsmilie: jokin.

Well, if you prefer to buy used, then you have to be prepared mentally that there are a lot more risks involved. Checking the optical elements using a flash light is one thing. There are other things you cannot see, like electronics etc... so there is no such thing as a risk free purchase of a pre-owned item.

Of course the lens must work optically when I buy them:)

But if we bring it down to CSC to check, they can check everything right? Actually it a small price to pay compared to the $4k lens.

Recently read about Justin Yeo. Quite worried to buy 2nd hand. But to poor people like me, buying 2nd hand is the only option.

Spending >$3K to buy a 2nd hand expensive lens . . . i rather spend a bit more to buy a brand new.

It is electronics stuff, so i prefered to buy brand new then looking at 2nd hand.

3-4k can get a 70-200 2.8L for new rite ? Sounds like you are a student to me , but dealing with lens , you can treat them like old textbooks for sure la

S$3,000 - S$4,000 is good enough for a brand new Canon 70-200mm right? Complete with f/2.8 and IS.

Of course the lens must work optically when I buy them:)

But if we bring it down to CSC to check, they can check everything right? Actually it a small price to pay compared to the $4k lens.

Recently read about Justin Yeo. Quite worried to buy 2nd hand. But to poor people like me, buying 2nd hand is the only option.

Well, it is up to you. Sometimes it is just a difference of a few hundred. Which will translate to saving up for a few more months.

I would buy a new one, if it is a high ticket item.

Just buy new and u are rid of this trouble..

I want to get a sigma 300mm f2.8 or sigma 500mm f4.5 for birding.

300mm f2.8 seems attractive.

hmm...like others mentioned, buy new...so tt you can have warranty over the lens...rather than get 2nd hand with no warranty and hving constant worry of getting a lemon...