on buying DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

eadwine

Jan 17, 2002
east side
hi, just wondering
does CP sell camera on a installment basis or is it a one shot pay NOW NOW!! type.?

anybody willing to sponsor 5k????:D

actually i've heard before that they do have a interest-based instalment scheme, but the loan is given by a third party company... never really went to confirm it though...

For certain promotions, CP does do instalment scheme (not really sure whether interest-free or not) and its really dependant on external finance co. and the promoter.

The recent Hasselblad/Mamiya promotion I believe had an instalment scheme, but generally, CP does not do financing.

One method of getting semi-interest-free plan is thru the credit card co's (I believe Stanchart and Citibank are pioneers in this, other banks do offer as well). Stanchart (or was it Citibank) is particularly interesting in that the vendor need not be a participant in a bank's instalment free vendor list, and you can just call up after you have purchased and give the details of the charges/vendor and they will split the payment into 12 (or maybe more?) equal instalments. There is an admin charge of i believe 2-2.5% for doing this.

Originally posted by Darren
Stanchart (or was it Citibank) is particularly interesting in that the vendor need not be a participant in a bank's instalment free vendor list, and you can just call up after you have purchased and give the details of the charges/vendor and they will split the payment into 12 (or maybe more?) equal instalments. There is an admin charge of i believe 2-2.5% for doing this.
It's StanChart. Wanted to get one (to get a "nice" cam) but their income requirement for foreigners is way too high ($80K!!!!)

:Later,

Go to Alley Photo lah. If you use a Stan Chart card there is a 12 months interest free instalment thingy. Just that I dun really like shopping at Alley. ;)

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Suggest not getting into debt.
If you can't afford it now, don't buy it now.
Wait until you can afford it.

Yup, nothing beats paying for your stuff with cold hard cash.

You also need to consider the accessories that you need after getting your dream DSLR. E.g : battery grip, wide angle lens(if you like landscape and don't own a 1D), blah blah blah.

Save up before buying. Don't buy using credit. =p

agree, don't bite off more than you can chew. With the lenses, flash, camera bag, extra battery, battery grip, etc etc all coming in, it can be quite suffocating. And also, if you pay by instalments, you might see a newer model in the market when you are still paying your 10th payment, that is quite a kek feeling.

as much as a DSLR is very tempting to me, I can get most of the gratification with my film SLR, minus the instant feedback of course, at a much much lower cost.

Not discouraging you or imposing on you, just a reminder to stay rational, cuz sometimes I myself fall into the trap of temptation too. ;)

Originally posted by Tweek
as much as a DSLR is very tempting to me, I can get most of the gratification with my film SLR, minus the instant feedback of course, at a much much lower cost.

Much much lower cost??? Here we are, talking about difficulties in financing a DSLR and you talk about lower cost? Ironic isn't it?

Your ultimate goal is to get a DSLR

On buying a DSLR is the ultimate goal of every
serious image-maker.
However you have to calculate the cost and the maintainence.
Unless you are willing to cough out $5 to $10K it is wiser to
start with a higher end pro-consumer DC.

Here is an example of the amount of money you
have to spend for the initial outlay:

1. DSLR Body: $3,800.00
2. 2 lenses to go with it (cheaper ones) $1,000.00
3. A decent flash unit: $ 300.00
4. A sturdy tripod: $ 300.00
5. Micro Drive: $ 400.00
6. Mic items (filters & essential acessories) $ 300.00

That will cost you $6,100 more or less
The only advantage is to shoot thousands
and thousands of images
because in the long run it is cheaper.
:(

Two years later, a newer model
arrives and you will have a headache as to
whether you want to upgrade or not.

For beginners it would be wiser to start with
one or even two higher end DC (second one for backup).

Start shooting and enjoy your new found hobby.
You can easily upgrade if you like or stay put.

The more you shoot, the more you have
to upkeep your storage media such as your hard drive,
CDRW, colour printer, colour paper etc.

Of course you should go for the quality and
the speed offer by DSLR.
If you are not sure, ask those who had own
the former Nikon D1, Canon D30 or the Fuji S1 Pro.

If they tell you, don't have to upgrade, just keep shooting.
More often than not, they are right.

If you are a pro, it is wise to seek financing
because you can earn back
what you have dump in.

For those who have film based SLR, just keep shooting
your slides or black-and-white and get a good film scanner.
You don't have to cough out unnecessary money to enjoy
your hobby. Just get a high end DC.

On the other hand, if you can afford it, do it and get
them quick and start shooting.

:bsmilie: ;)

Originally posted by Kit

Much much lower cost??? Here we are, talking about difficulties in financing a DSLR and you talk about lower cost? Ironic isn't it?

sorry but I don't get the irony. :dunno: We are talking about difficulties in financing a DSLR, so I said I can get most of the gratification with a film slr at a lower cost. Anything wrong with the statement?

I thought some VISA provides interests free installament?
I seen stores like BEST promoting them, you buy BIG TV, HiFi etc
although I don't think they sell DSLR

Is it really necessary to get a DSLR to shot good photos???

Originally posted by zOOm

Not just any DSLR, you need at least a EOS1DS or the upcoming D2.

Originally posted by zOOm
I thought some VISA provides interests free installament?
I seen stores like BEST promoting them, you buy BIG TV, HiFi etc
although I don't think they sell DSLR

No, you just need to buy any Leica, Hasselblad, Rollei, Contax, etc. Better still get a Linhoff Technica Large Format camera. :D

Regards
CK

Eadwine.. in this situation, please do not subscribe to the "buy buy buy" mentality.

Being in debt, although it's "structured" debt, is still being in debt...

Just my $0.02

Originally posted by Wolfgang

Being in debt, although it's "structured" debt, is still being in debt...

I seriously doubt that the majority of people are truly debt free, look at those driving cars and staying at private properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.