on Bulk film and bulk loading....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dawn

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
Hi

got a problem - i need to cut down on film costs - i did a quick count and realised i averaged 5 rolls per weekend, and that's not counting rolls i shoot on weekdays (though this does not happen that frequently). last week i burnt through 16 rolls over 2 days and nearly dieded when i calculate the total cost ;p

so until Leica comes out with a digital M body, i'm thinking of going the bulk film route......at least for personal shooting. For weddings, my church stuff and other freelance assignments the film costs will be paid for, either that or digital will be used so that's not much of a problem. Anyway i wouldn't want to use bulk film for assignments - too risky and i'll prefer to buy them in the cute little boxes......

anyway, does anyone have a list of bulk films that are available locally? i know Provia 100 and 400F, but i don't use them...... wat i see in stores here are mostly those 2.....

is there also a cheap overseas source where i can get bulk film i can't obtain locally? (assuming there IS such a source)

also for those who regularly do bulk loading, wat are your experiences? any horror stories to share? ;p Everytime i try to imiagine the process, i think of jammed film (after seeing 9lives waste 1 roll earlier this year), scratched film, and the like.....

any positive stories, anecdotes or experiences to share will be much appreciated. And a rough comparison of the costs savings will be most helpful.

thanks in advance!

:eek: 16! rolls in a weekend!?!? I just realized how rich u r;p I think the 1Ds is just made for u, hehe.

You should go bulk LONG TIME AGO! ;p

Horror story? When you are rolling to the middle of the can and found that the film jams inside... Terrible feeling ;p

You have to open up the can in the changing bag then cut(not your finger...) the film and then re-insert, then reroll. =p Scary.

What type of film are you looking?

Although I've not handled the roll myself. I did see the process and also helped out a bit by taping the film to the roll. It seems simple enough. rochkoh did it for the first time successfully. I just used a roll yesterday. It might seem daunting but its actually not that difficult. Once you try it, you'll realize its quite easy. No horror stories. If you make a mistake its only 90+ bucks. :D

Originally posted by maddog
Although I've not handled the roll myself. I did see the process and also helped out a bit by taping the film to the roll. It seems simple enough. rochkoh did it for the first time successfully. I just used a roll yesterday. It might seem daunting but its actually not that difficult. Once you try it, you'll realize its quite easy. No horror stories. If you make a mistake its only 90+ bucks. :D

Wah.. ONLY 90$ hehehehe... Can get the 28mm f1.8 in TCW. heheheheh

Originally posted by Klause

Wah.. ONLY 90$ hehehehe... Can get the 28mm f1.8 in TCW. heheheheh

For someone who uses 16 rolls(non bulk roll) in a weekend what's 90bucks? :bsmilie:

Horror story? When you are rolling to the middle of the can and found that the film jams inside... Terrible feeling ;p

You have to open up the can in the changing bag then cut(not your finger...) the film and then re-insert, then reroll. =p Scary.

it probaly due to your lack of inexperience that resulted in the above mentioned problems....

Anyway, ask the few who has experiences in bulk loading and you'll know the diff!

Originally posted by Bluestrike

it probaly due to your lack of inexperience that resulted in the above mentioned problems....

Anyway, ask the few who has experiences in bulk loading and you'll know the diff!

:cry: Always scold me :cry: Got student price?

For someone who uses 16 rolls(non bulk roll) in a weekend what's 90bucks? :bsmilie:

you got a point. hehehe

also for those who regularly do bulk loading, wat are your experiences? any horror stories to share?

alamak !! it is as easy as 1 2 3 ...

Can u imagine i can load the slides can into the bulk roll kit and talking thru the handphone at the same time ... :D

Originally posted by megaweb
?

alamak !! it is as easy as 1 2 3 ...

Can u imagine i can load the slides can into the bulk roll kit and talking thru the handphone at the same time ... :D

:eek: Wah.. power. You got 3 hands? ;p

Originally posted by Bluestrike

it call experiences....
which I afraid that you lack of it...
:p

:what: YES MASTER :what:

Originally posted by tomshen
:eek: 16! rolls in a weekend!?!? I just realized how rich u r;p I think the 1Ds is just made for u, hehe.

no lah....if i am rich, i wouldn't be thinking of resorting to bulk loading right? ;)

anyway i said average is 5 rolls per weekend mah right? that 16 rolls is probably a one off thing that will not repeat itself...

i hope ;p

there are some weekends when i attend to other stuff or stay and home and pig out as well :cool:

it's not the 90 bucks worth of unexposed film i'm worried about.

it's the priceless images in exposed film (or the images that i THOUGHT i exposed) that i don't want to lose. i'm looking to see if there are any horror stories about using bulk rolled canisters that refuse to work properly when loaded in camera etc.....

particularly, is there a danger of the reel snapping off the canister while it is in the camera? ;p

for slides: E100Vs, E100S, E100SW, E200. maybe Velvia too......

for negs: Press 800

for b/w: TMax 100, Tmax 400, Tri-X 400, Delta 3200

any idea if they are available in bulk form at all?

Originally posted by Red Dawn

it's not the 90 bucks worth of unexposed film i'm worried about.

it's the priceless images in exposed film (or the images that i THOUGHT i exposed) that i don't want to lose. i'm looking to see if there are any horror stories about using bulk rolled canisters that refuse to work properly when loaded in camera etc.....

particularly, is there a danger of the reel snapping off the canister while it is in the camera? ;p

Won't happen one lar. Just make sure u get good blank canister for loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.