On a Moving Bus

cheeken

Aug 31, 2010
5272803491_155c4017dc_z.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Mainly composition, but if there are other things that can be improved on as well, please guide thanks :)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
A sense of movement and stillness at the same time

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Slight drizzle, on a bus in Tokyo

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think it looks beautiful, but definitely has alot of room for improvement, which is why i posted it here. It was kinda like a experimental shot, i thought of it while on the bus, decided to give it a try.

Last edited:
5272803491_155c4017dc_z.jpg

ah this is i'll say a good attempt. its more of experimental as u mentioned urself, but the logic behind the shot is sound.

i attempted this before on a lorry, i'll say u got better "stillness" of the window compared to getting me still on lorry:bsmilie:

perhaps u might wanna try thinking of a way to weave ur story into this method of shooting, since u got the logic. i'm attempting to see if i can shoot a model on the back of a lorry while getting light streaks, with the model in thought. so far havent got it right, but its worth a short if ur free:)

the idea behind this is relative motion. same as panning shots. if ur camera moves at the same speed as subject, subject looks like its not moving, and background is.

Last edited:
Mainly composition, but if there are other things that can be improved on as well, please guide thanks :)

I think it looks beautiful, but definitely has alot of room for improvement, which is why i posted it here. It was kinda like a experimental shot, i thought of it while on the bus, decided to give it a try.

not bad i quite like the colour but u may wan to align it straight / vertical.

I agree with quizesilver...

5272803491_155c4017dc_t.jpg

I really like this abstract kind of photo. It gives a "deep" sense of speed and the variety pantone of colours streaking across gives that extra excitement I have almost nothing to comment on how to improve on this really good photo. Probably just a suggestion if you have another chance. If the window pane edge of the bus isn't there occupying a very obvious space and disrupting the sense of speed reflecting off the window. It maybe better or may not be better. Gotta try and see. On second thought, having the edge of the window there helps to give an somewhat off centre feel of the movement that I find it kind of edgey and I kinda like this effect.

Last edited:
nice effort!

pity sg bus dun have windows to let u peep out now cos its all air conditioned bus. if not i will copy your idea ;p

I like this image, a very good example of using photography transform everyday scene into abstract.
pity that the top have some void space.

keep shooting. :)

Love the colors on this one. Nice abstract shot.

good shot..good technique..i can imagine u bracing it tight again the window sill and holding still..how many shots u tried to get the lines straight? :D

For me , it's a meaningless ...

Hmm... why is it meaningless...? I think its a creative way to depict motion. We often see the angle from the inside of a vehicle, but to take it from the point of view of a bus window, good job! =)

This effect is interesting and it makes a good abstract shot. When you look at the image, its kinda hard to make out whats going on, you know that there is motion blur but you don't exactly know the scene and setting. But after reading the caption "on a moving bus", the entire scene unfolds. Would suggest a simpler caption, perhaps "Bus Ride" would work? Good attempt :) :thumbsup:

I like this abstract shot, perhaps a short write up on it might greatly improve the appreciation of the shot though. Not everyone can understand and appreciate abstract shots, but I really like this one :)

hi guys! thanks for all the positive feedback, as for how many number of tries i took to get this photo, well actually this is the first shot, subsequently i tried to improve it with a sharper still image of the bus, with more exciting colours from traffic junctions and more vibrantly decorated buildings, but all my subsequent tries ended up with some slight shake that disrupted the straightness of the light streaks. So i guess i was lucky to have captured one good one from the first shot.

I dont like calling it abstract art as many of you have said, but what prefer doing is to show, through photography, images beyond what the human eye can see, value add right? :) to take the art of photography to a higher level, we should take pictures that the eye cannot see, rather than to simply replicate the image that you've seen with your eyes before..not saying that we should all start taking funny photos with all this "abstract art" feel, of course we still need our simple snapshots for memories sake!

anyway, thanks alot for the comments guys! i will continue to improve my photography and upload more in time to come so that i can improve further :)

I think this is a great shot on motion capture.full of different color palettes in it:thumbsup:
Not only you have captured motion on the street, you have also captured the reflection of it on the bus. Otherwise left is dark and empty. Wish could be more reflection on the bus.
The speed motion is almost perfect to achieve solid block streak symmetry on the left.
the only thing I find in this photo which is not that good is the flare. There are three and probably you will not be able to get rid of it in PP.
Space in the frame is well balanced.
Great shot and i like it personally.

Last edited:
nice effort!

pity sg bus dun have windows to let u peep out now cos its all air conditioned bus. if not i will copy your idea ;p

there are still some old double decker sbs busses plying the jurong/tuas area which are non airconditioned and are used mainly by those workers in the marine/shipping industry.