Omnibounce question

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobie

Jan 29, 2007
After attaching the Omnibounce onto my flash and took some indoor pictures, I found that the omnibounce actually knocked off a considerable amount of light from my flash while it disffused the flash lamp. Question is do you guys compensate (making up) the flash output that was filtered away (or I would say light loss) by the omnibounce by increasing the flash power? I took 2 pictures with the same setting on a tripod on the same subject and same cam setting, one with and the other without omnibouce. The pix with omnibounce look better but the exposure seems underpar. The one without omnibounce got like +2/3 stop of exposure. BTW, I bounce the flash to the ceiling which is pure whire in colour. Does the bounce angle affects the end result too? Thank you.

After attaching the Omnibounce onto my flash and took some indoor pictures, I found that the omnibounce actually knocked off a considerable amount of light from my flash while it disffused the flash lamp. Question is do you guys compensate (making up) the flash output that was filtered away (or I would say light loss) by the omnibounce by increasing the flash power? I took 2 pictures with the same setting on a tripod on the same subject and same cam setting, one with and the other without omnibouce. The pix with omnibounce look better but the exposure seems underpar. The one without omnibounce got like +2/3 stop of exposure. BTW, I bounce the flash to the ceiling which is pure whire in colour. Does the bounce angle affects the end result too? Thank you.

Yes. It's a diffuser. Please remember that.

You can compensate by using a higher flash ev setting, or by using a larger aperture. I would assume that you're using a fixed shutter speed when using flash, e.g. 1/30 or 1/60. Alternatively, you can bump up the ISO one notch or 2 to allow your flash to fire at a lower power.

Bounce angle does affect the end result as the different angle would mean a different amount of light is going to reach your subject.

how many stops to compensation in FEC usually?

how many stops to compensation in FEC usually?
you lose two stops for using Omnibounce.
if your flash has already deliver maximum power, you only can compensation by using high ISO, bigger f stop, or shorter flash to subject distance.

for making the correct exposure, best is judging from your own LCD, cos if someone tell you to compensate two stops, it may still underexposed or become overexpose on your own camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.