omg. what if a dog has..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngck12

Dec 4, 2007
beside jurong point
TICKS?

Must i bring him(my dog) to the vet? I found a tick on him yesterday, and another one minutes ago. Shucks. :dunno:

Go to Pet shop and buy Frontline Spot On for dogs (according to the dog's weight).

will the tick get clinged onto human hair and start feeding or rather can i come close in contact with my dog? and how long does it take to remove all the ticks(thou i only found 2)?

Ticks are just a part of life... FYI, they're not fond of human blood.

A good pair of tweazers, some patience, and anti-tick shampoo/spray will do the trick.

Most important is to check the usual places your dog sleeps/rests for any ticks that are hiding there.

your first dog? :) ticks aren't like.. something big y'know..

Oops. I had my dog for 6 years and its the first time i seen such a thing. Prolly why im so traumatised.

Google.

Seriously.

yeah i googled, most webby says what Rashkae said. However they didnt say if they(ticks) will manifest or seriously affect human. Thus a little worried.

be careful plucking out the ticks. make sure you grab them by their head (as close to the dog's skin) as possible. You don't want to rip it off and leave it behind. Once you've taken them out, spray them with frontline, those things are hard to kill.

1. go to the pet shop & buy : frontline spray
2. spray on him until abit wet (ouside your house)
3. use gloves & massage him gently
4. let him dry...after the spray is dried up, his hair will be as if he has hair gel all over him...leave it, dun brush him...
5. if you see the tick, spray directly on it, then pluck out. (sometimes, even if you pluck out the tick without spraying frontline, the 'hook' may be embedded in his skin- that may cost tick fever)
6. why spray him all over? coz human eyes cannot see the larvea (if any) in his fur...eventually, the next few minutes / hours/ days, you'll see the ticks droping off his fur...if alive, don't throw into your toilet bowl. burn it or drown it in oil.
7. the spray can last for 30days. not neccessary to spray him again.
8. don't let your dog walk on grass again.

hope this helps.

forgot to mention...do not bathe him for 3 days after the spray...you can bathe him 1st, but MUST be dried thoroughly b4 the spray.

No offense Buddha, but it's better if it's a minimum of two days before, and two days after, if a bath is crucially needed at this point of time.

Bottom line

Learn how to apply Frontline properly, don't be stingy, establish a regular Frontline routine and follow the protocols, work hard in inspecting your dog twice a day for at least a week from sighting, clear away unnecessary fabrics and beddings like doggie beds, soft toys etc from any area your dog frequents for the time being, and keep a very sharp eye out for any signs of tick infestation in your home.

And no, it's unlikely any humans will get sick or die from being bitten by a tick here unless they are extremely unlucky, or have underlying pre-existing conditions that may be hyper-potentiated or exacerbated by secondary infections transmitted by tick bites.

I hope you have the other basics like heartworms covered because that's another real nasty one. The worms will kill the dog, and the treatment itself may also kill the dog.

All the best, may your dog be well, and may the ticks not make a nest in your home this Christmas.

Last edited:
May I add, also bring the dog to do the annual vaccination in addition to getting the heart worms medication.

What kind of suprise is this. It is a dog, of course it will have ticks; running and rubbing around in the grass and other animals. :bsmilie:

And ticks will also bite human too because it is a tick. So please de-<whatever it is called> the dog early. Visit a glooming centre for a quick start and seek advise.

Dont use carpet, if you use throw. throw away the sofa (the dog will probably has sit on it). buy new mattress (dog probably slept on it).
Vacuum entire house, including walls and behind the cupboard etc etc, then mop with bleach.

If you are unsure of how to do it, bring the dog to the grooming center and they will help you get rid of the ticks on the dog, for a nominal fee.

Then you can take steps to ensure that your dog receives a bath every 2-3 days, powder bath the dog with flea powder and brush the fur once in a while.

Helps to dog to be clean and nice.

Though ticks do not cause adverse reactions to human beings, if someone is allergic to a tick bite, he or she may suffer some alergic reactions.

JUst bring him to the vet, and they'll do the necessary. In addition, they'll ask you to buy the right medicine to apply of consume. If needed, they'll ask you to shave the whole dog, easier to cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.