OMG! Newton MRT station caught fire!

rhino123

Sep 1, 2006
NA
Just receive a message from my friend... Newton MRT station caught fire today morning,

did a little search in the net and this is what I get.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200191764911170
Fire breaks out at Newton MRT station - Channel NewsAsia

Well... at least this time round it was not problem at the track that cause the problem of the train delays... and since it is still Chinese New Year, I am wondering does this qualify for prosperity (红红火火)? HUAT AH!

SINGAPORE: A fire has broken out at Newton MRT station on Wednesday morning.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) says officers are now at the scene.

In a tweet by SMRT at 10:16am, it says there is no northbound train service from Marina Bay to Toa Payoh, adds free bus services are available at affected stations.

In a tweet by SCDF at 10:19am, it says no injuries reported so far.

- CNA/ck

Just receive a message from my friend... Newton MRT station caught fire today morning,

did a little search in the net and this is what I get.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200191764911170

Well... at least this time round it was not problem at the track that cause the problem of the train delays... and since it is still Chinese New Year, I am wondering does this qualify for prosperity (红红火火)? HUAT AH!

well, i would prefer it be track fault... didn't you realise the risk involved? this could cause lots of deaths.. if i am the smrt CEO, i will be worried like hell!

well, i would prefer it be track fault... didn't you realise the risk involved? this could cause lots of deaths.. if i am the smrt CEO, i will be worried like hell!

yeah most worried if this is electrical problem meaning other station could potentially have the same problem... I hope it's something isolated non MRT system problem e.g. electrical

Hahahaha... of course I realise the risk. I am being sarcastic.

But being very experience living here... I really don't think the SMRT CEO is a wee bit worried... as well as our transport minister, our LTA chairman, everyone. They have lots of excuses to give. Lets just wait and see what excuses they would come out this time round and I have this feeling that the excuses given will be very innovative and interesting.

Imagine that we are already seeing problems now... how about in 2030 when population exploded?

Hahahaha... of course I realise the risk. I am being sarcastic.

But being very experience living here... I really don't think the SMRT CEO is a wee bit worried... as well as our transport minister, our LTA chairman, everyone. They have lots of excuses to give. Lets just wait and see what excuses they would come out this time round and I have this feeling that the excuses given will be very innovative and interesting

Imagine that we are already seeing problems now... how about in 2030 when population exploded?

They will have to come up with counter measures perhaps in ......a ....... Super White Paper .........:p

It's only the fourth day of the Year of the Snake guess the bad had slithered it's way together with snake :)

It's only the fourth day of the Year of the Snake guess the bad had slithered it's way together with snake :)

But I tot fire is an auspicious sign :)

Anyway waiting on the report as to why and how the cable caught fire... seriously... if one station could have its cable caught fire, it might happen to all other cable so the report as to the root cause is very important... or should I say...

"No matter how much services and maintanence was done, these things cannot be prevented." and so we should all pray before going out of the door and enter the MRT station everyday... because you never know :sweat:

Last edited:
But I tot fire is an auspicious sign :)

Anyway waiting on the report as to why and how the cable caught fire... seriously... if one station could have its cable caught fire, it might happen to all other cable so the report as to the root cause is very important... or should I say...

"No matter how much services and maintanence was done, these things cannot be prevented." and so we should all pray before going out of the door and enter the MRT station everyday... because you never know :sweat:

Year of water snake..... fire is a conflicting element with water......

Year of water snake..... fire is a conflicting element with water......

Oops :O this year I better find a bomb shelter and hide in it for the rest of the year :D

common day occurrence lah

Oops :O this year I better find a bomb shelter and hide in it for the rest of the year :D
Best ask your constituent Member of Parliament (MP) to enquire with Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) and Transit Shelter Engineering Department (TSED) of the Building & Construction Authority (BCA) on the conditions and findings noted during audits of MRT underground public air raid / bomb shelters specifically the...

• backup emergency diesel-electric power generators,

• blast doors,

• decontamination showering facilities,

• Nuclear, Biological, Chemical (NBC) High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filtration systems etc. etc.
hingdoor.jpg
sldndoor.jpg

I don't want to say more but also emphasize to your MP whether this huge ass blast doors at the end of the station once close can open again? :bsmilie:

Best ask your constituent Member of Parliament (MP) to enquire with Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) and Transit Shelter Engineering Department (TSED) of the Building & Construction Authority (BCA) on the conditions and findings noted during audits of MRT underground public air raid / bomb shelters specifically the...

• backup emergency diesel-electric power generators,

• blast doors,

• decontamination showering facilities,

• Nuclear, Biological, Chemical (NBC) High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filtration systems etc. etc.
hingdoor.jpg
sldndoor.jpg

I don't want to say more but also emphasize to your MP whether this huge ass blast doors at the end of the station once close can open again? :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:

Or worst, once close, it will flood inside when there are a rain outside the shelter, then some big ass came in and tell us that there is nothing anyone can do... with us trap in the bomb shelter drowning our ass out :D

common day occurrence lah

I am just glad no one was hurt.... or injured......

Whatever I say is deemed as injustice....

But not that I care... isn't it obvious that things are falling apart with respect to SMRT?

There are enough signs of things not right, and all these will only snowballed into a big one.... and a Bigger one.. and so forth.....

Thai gals who fall over the track in AMK..... lost both legs... then, build door....

MRT break down..... people walk on the track to station.... track fault, now cable fault.... fire....

Why does people always wait till the BIG one then CRY.... when the tell signs are obvious???

I always believe that a Stitch in time save Nine... But people think I am noisy... so just ignore if you think I am noisy....

I am just glad no one was hurt.... or injured......

Whatever I say is deemed as injustice....

But not that I care... isn't it obvious that things are falling apart with respect to SMRT?

There are enough signs of things not right, and all these will only snowballed into a big one.... and a Bigger one.. and so forth.....

Thai gals who fall over the track in AMK..... lost both legs... then, build door....

MRT break down..... people walk on the track to station.... track fault, now cable fault.... fire....

Why does people always wait till the BIG one then CRY.... when the tell signs are obvious???

I always believe that a Stitch in time save Nine... But people think I am noisy... so just ignore if you think I am noisy....

Welcome to the real world, man. These things don't just happen to our MRT, it happen to everything else in life and around the world... so, yeah... Singapore is not the pioneer this time round. Hahahahaha.

In my company, when our designers designed a product, we know something is going to happen, there are telltales sign that the design is gonna fail, and we warned the designer then the management, they turn us down saying that we do not have data to back us up on our claim. Then things happen and entire production line had to shut down. And you think that is the end of the story... no... it goes on and on and on and on with every single products... and everyone like to use this excuse, "No choice lah."

Well... we are a small company and we see this occurence every single day, what about an entire nation or a massive company like SMRT? I do not believe that the engineers do not know that using a freaking cable tie to tied the freaking cables is not going to be stable, but they still do it. Look... we use cable tie to tie some of our cables in the speaker system, but those cables are so freakingly small and the vibration in the speaker is not big... unlike the freaking MRT train.

So... yeah...