OMG! Look at the EM-1 aka the now official E-M1 Thread

is it ugly?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nah, it's not a scratch on the front lens. The lens have filter on it all the time. At 1st I thought it's the filter. but after I remove the filter I realize it's inside the lens. I just wonder is Olympus going to charge me if it's inside the lens.. Since it's impossible this could be user fault if it's inside the lens..

Have to send it in then :) with warranty u should send it in. I'm sure Oly's reasonable. Get back to us on what did Oly say ok ?

If worried make wasted trip , send a email to them first. Go to the Oly SG page , contact us and send.

Hi everyone, I am trying to take a wide angle shot in the OMD EM1 SCN Mode (Wide Angle) with the 12-40mm 2.8 Pro kit lens. Notice there is no change in the frame (looks exactly the same as it would in P mode etc)...not really any wider at all. Do i really need an adapter etc to get this mode to work on this lens?

This mode use to work like a charm in my older OMD EM5 with the 12-50mm kit lens...i could see the frame suddenly becoming much wider (almost 9-10mm from 12mm)...without any addition of adapters etc...just by flicking the dial into SCN mode (on wide angle or even fish eye mode).

Any users could help me with this or comment? Am i missing something or a "trick" here? It's really great to have a wide angle possibility when you travel for landscapes etc without having to switch lenses, add on adapters, etc.

Thanks!

Hi everyone, I am trying to take a wide angle shot in the OMD EM1 SCN Mode (Wide Angle) with the 12-40mm 2.8 Pro kit lens. Notice there is no change in the frame (looks exactly the same as it would in P mode etc)...not really any wider at all. Do i really need an adapter etc to get this mode to work on this lens?

This mode use to work like a charm in my older OMD EM5 with the 12-50mm kit lens...i could see the frame suddenly becoming much wider (almost 9-10mm from 12mm)...without any addition of adapters etc...just by flicking the dial into SCN mode (on wide angle or even fish eye mode).

Any users could help me with this or comment? Am i missing something or a "trick" here? It's really great to have a wide angle possibility when you travel for landscapes etc without having to switch lenses, add on adapters, etc.

Thanks!

hi,

i was waiting for others to answer as maybe I could've missed something, but since there's no answers,

my answer is:

1. Yes, the scene modes: Fisheye, Wide-angle, Macro are all for use with the appropriate adapters. Just by setting WA SCN mode will not allow your 12-40/2.8 to become a 10-40/2.8.
See the converters at: http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/mlenses/#converter

2. I'm perplexed, I have never ever experienced the view (of what you shoot) becoming wider by just flicking the camera into WA or FEye mode and I've used the EM5 for quite a long while before moving into EP5 and EM1 and all these 3 cameras I've owned can't do what u've shared.
If this is true, then it kinda negates physics too; for a 12mm lens to be transformed into a 10mm FL through software. Anyone with the EM5 can try this too? If this is true, I'm really gonna be seriously impressed and I darn say that then the EM5 is really worth buying back again.

On page 19 of the EM5 manual, its stated clearly the 3 SCN modes (Macro, WA, FE) are for use with the appropriate adapters. The SCN mode works in minimizing the distortion and correcting the image when used with the adapters mounted.

Thanks Keith...i used to wonder about this too. Some how i thought its a digital thingee and not really making the lens any wider coz that i found unbelievable too. But it did seem to work...i could see a difference in the same frame setup, with more details visible when flicked to the Wide Angle setting in SCN mode (on the 12-50 kits lens without any adapters).

Unfortunately, i've sold my em5 now, so have no way to check this again...upgraded to the em1 but was missing that feature.

Or were my eyes playing some tricks on me and as you say it never did exist...i would need a the wide angle converter anyways for both em5 and em1.

Btw, any idea how much the wide angle converter would cost and where i can get it (oly service centre etc?)? Also if i mount it on my 12-40 2.8 Pro kit lens for em1, how much of a wide angle would it transform it into...9 or 10mm or more?

Cheers and thanks for the tips / help mate!

Thanks Keith...i used to wonder about this too. Some how i thought its a digital thingee and not really making the lens any wider coz that i found unbelievable too. But it did seem to work...i could see a difference in the same frame setup, with more details visible when flicked to the Wide Angle setting in SCN mode (on the 12-50 kits lens without any adapters).

Unfortunately, i've sold my em5 now, so have no way to check this again...upgraded to the em1 but was missing that feature.

Or were my eyes playing some tricks on me and as you say it never did exist...i would need a the wide angle converter anyways for both em5 and em1.

Btw, any idea how much the wide angle converter would cost and where i can get it (oly service centre etc?)? Also if i mount it on my 12-40 2.8 Pro kit lens for em1, how much of a wide angle would it transform it into...9 or 10mm or more?

Cheers and thanks for the tips / help mate!

hi,

no prob. We have many EM5 users here , maybe one of them can just help us check. Doesn't take more than 2 mins ;)

I'm going ahead with the assumption the Wide Angle SCN mode doesn't widen the view as I've never seen this happening. That said, if u wish to have something wider, the options are :

1. WCON-P01 wide converter. Note this works only on the 14-42IIR lens, this will simply not mount on another lens and will give u a 11mm view.

2. O9-18mm

3. Pana 7-14mm

4. 3rd party converters from Vitacon etc.

My advice as a friend is skip 1, 4. at 11mm it ain't much wider than the 12mm u've now. Save up and get the O9-18mm , P7-14/4 or if u can wait , the O7-14/2.8 Pro.

I've tried all 4 options and my final choice is obviously the Pana 7-14mm which I definitely will sell when the O7-14mm is released. Reasons for not 1 (its a budget setup sure, the adapter shouldn't cost >$200, even cheaper second hand, but the IQ and extra width won't satisfy u) , not 4: these are horrible, much cheaper though I know of some shops that will try to scam innocent buyers into buying them at inflated prices.

Thanks again Keith...how much is the Pana 7-14mm? Sounds interesting! I've heard from a budget point of view the Samyang 7.5 is quite nice too...any feedback on that?

Thanks again Keith...how much is the Pana 7-14mm? Sounds interesting! I've heard from a budget point of view the Samyang 7.5 is quite nice too...any feedback on that?

Other than the prone to flaring on the 7-14 , its sharper, wider and faster than the O9-14 f4-5.6. However when it performs, it makes every single cent u paid worth it. Brand new I'm guessing $1.3k but u best call up the shops, 2nd hand around $900-$1000.

when it performs:
994392_603236683076311_2131326866_n.jpg

when it flares haha:
1463007_604195886313724_2119911871_n.jpg

the Samyang is superb value for money, but u gotta de-fish the images.

Looks great keithwee....i'm traveling in another 10days and need a wide angle for landscapes. If you are letting go of your pana 7-14, do let me know...i'm interested! Cheers.

Other than the prone to flaring on the 7-14 , its sharper, wider and faster than the O9-14 f4-5.6. However when it performs, it makes every single cent u paid worth it. Brand new I'm guessing $1.3k but u best call up the shops, 2nd hand around $900-$1000.

when it performs:
994392_603236683076311_2131326866_n.jpg

when it flares haha:
1463007_604195886313724_2119911871_n.jpg

the Samyang is superb value for money, but u gotta de-fish the images.

picking up the EM1 soon as my long term plan to migrate to m43. Would like to ask whats a good flash for it for events?

coming from EM-5 is it worth to upgrade to EM-1?

do you guys know any store which have OMD-EM1 on display set that i can try?

$ForumRunner_20140708_174423.png

Time sale

Good deal. Anyone bought it?

picking up the EM1 soon as my long term plan to migrate to m43. Would like to ask whats a good flash for it for events?

I currently use the Metz 58 AF2.. Though it is a bit big but the recycle rate is pretty good.. There are many alternatives which u can try as well.. But ultimately depends on what u need.. Portability or fast recycle rate..