OMG ITS TRUE!! - Apple to use Intel chips in '06-CNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

dEthANGeL

Jun 20, 2004
Siglap
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. plans to announce on Monday that it will switch to using Intel Corp's microprocessors and phase out its current chip supplier, International Business Machines Corp., CNET News.com reported late on Friday.

The technology news Web site said that Apple plans to move lower-end computers like the Mac Mini to Intel chips in mid-2006 and higher-end models such as the Power Mac in the middle of 2007, Cnet said, citing anonymous sources.

Apple's Chief Executive
Steve Jobs is scheduled to deliver a keynote speech on the first day of its annual conference for software developers on Friday, a venue the report said would be appropriate for an announcement that would require significant changes to the way Apple software is written.

Spokesmen from Apple, IBM, Intel and Freescale Semiconductor Inc. all declined to comment on the report. Apple also uses Freescale chips.

Analysts said that Apple might have considered switching to Intel because IBM hadn't been turning out a broad enough line of chips. IBM has reached deals to supply chips to next-generation video game consoles for Microsoft Corp.,
Nintendo and
Sony Corp (SNE.N).

If true, the move by Apple to Intel's Pentium chips from IBM's PowerPC chips would cap more than a decade of speculation. Both Intel and Apple have had talks over the years, though Apple has always opted to stay with IBM, analysts said.

The move would be highly complicated, expensive and could cost Apple some of its less than 2 percent share of the global PC market, said Kevin Krewell, editor in chief of the Microprocessor Report, a chip industry publication.

"It's going to be a horrendous challenge for the software developers who just completed the transition to OS X from OS 9," Krewell said, referring to the latest version of Apple's operating system software.

Not only would it be expensive for the software developers who create programs that run on the Mac, it could stall sales of the Mac PCs.

"If word gets out that Apple is changing platforms, why would they buy a PowerPC?" Krewell said, adding that he expects a negative reaction from developers at Apple's conference. "They'd wait for two to three years to get an Intel platform."

Additionally, for years, Jobs has touted Macs powered by PowerPC chips as faster at certain computing tasks than Intel's Pentium microprocessors.

"I don't know how Steve and Apple are going to spin this," Krewell said. "Year after year, Apple has promoted the PowerPC over Pentium."

There is precedent for Apple's move, however. In the mid-1990s Apple moved from Motorola's 680x0 line of chips to IBM's PowerPC chips, but Insight 64 analyst Nathan Brookwood said Apple lost market share when it did so.

Brookwood also said such a move could frustrate some loyal customers of Apple.

"Every time they go and they change their architecture, a bunch of people who had been with them go, 'This is too much trouble. The PC world has been pretty consistent, and Apple keeps changing."'

He said that speculation about an Apple switch had flared up again on Friday.

On May 23, the Wall Street Journal reported that Apple had been in talks that could lead the company to use Intel chips in its
Macintosh computers, sparking a 5 percent rally in Apple's stock price.

The report cited two industry executives with knowledge of recent discussions between the companies.

obviousdude said:
hmmm... then why buy an apple..
Well, you could buy the MacOS to install in your partitioned PC hardisk. Much simpler. Microsoft, watch out!!!

seriously ... i wonder what happens if apple opted for AMD instead :think:

Finally, my dream of a DIY Mac could finally come true! Microsoft can no longer come out with crappy OS and risk to lose its market for a better OS!! :bsmilie: :cheergal: :vhappy:

Time for a upgrade of OS, heheheheehe......

bad timing IMHO..

Intel x86 architecture is already mature... the need for speed have both AMD and Intel looking at newer architecture, ie multiprocessor core...etc instead of just upping the Hz race. AFAIK, the G series chips by IBM is doing just that, more effieient processing power.

Then again, I welcome the OS X running native on my pentium anyday. :lovegrin:

Why don't the Apple branch into software biz. :dunno:

CYRN said:
bad timing IMHO..

Intel x86 architecture is already mature... the need for speed have both AMD and Intel looking at newer architecture, ie multiprocessor core...etc instead of just upping the Hz race. AFAIK, the G series chips by IBM is doing just that, more effieient processing power.

Then again, I welcome the OS X running native on my pentium anyday. :lovegrin:

Why don't the Apple branch into software biz. :dunno:
They already did. They have the best video editing softwarre in the market to date, Final Cut Pro.

Then again rewriting the code to take advantage of the X86 technology most likely take a year or two before the actual OSX will be usable. By then most of the transition between 32bit to 64bit CPU Intel, AMD, chipset and the dual-core would have been finish and ripe for the new MacOS to make use.

But don't you guys think that it's really weird for Apple to utilize x86 chips to power their systems?

If Apple rewrites MacOS X for x86 compatibility (and do not block anything), Tiger will be able to reach out to a vast and existent audience of x86 PC users, but on the other hand, sales of its PowerPCs will fall.

Who would get a dedicated Mac if a Wintel machine can also run OS X? :dunno:

My bet is that they will ask Intel to introduce a non-x86 chip that is solely for Apple's usage, and not just to supply their existing x86 chips to power their PowerPCs.

My 2 cents though.

I don't mind if Apple is using AMD.. but intel... no...

SNAG said:
But don't you guys think that it's really weird for Apple to utilize x86 chips to power their systems?

If Apple rewrites MacOS X for x86 compatibility (and do not block anything), Tiger will be able to reach out to a vast and existent audience of x86 PC users, but on the other hand, sales of its PowerPCs will fall.

Who would get a dedicated Mac if a Wintel machine can also run OS X? :dunno:

My bet is that they will ask Intel to introduce a non-x86 chip that is solely for Apple's usage, and not just to supply their existing x86 chips to power their PowerPCs.

My 2 cents though.
You forget that current Apple market makes up less than 5% of the entire PC market, attacking the Intel/AMD/X86 structure give it the ability to expand beyond it mere 5% of the market.

While Microsoft have never involves itself in the hardware market till perhaps the last 5 years, it has never been a hindrance to monopolies the personal computer market. Even then Microsoft have nothing more than creation of PC accesories(keyboard, mouse etc) than a proper PC.

Since 80s', Apple have been increasingly restricted to isolation because to their refusal to license its hardware to other maker to share their market. Only till 95' did Apple license its OS to Power Computing, too little to late. By then the PC clone have already overrun the entire PC market. Only way I see is to follow the Microsoft method and using the existing PC hardware to gain inroad to increased market share.

The soul of the Mac is a PowerPC RISC Processor, the friendly GUI, powerful underlayer and of cos the 'life' in a Mac.

Up till now, I can't help but notice 2 groups of ppl in the Macintosh camp.

Group 1:
The true blue lovers. Not only because of the raw power of the Mac, but they simply LOVE their computers and develop a passion in using it. These people dread the day in office using their Wintels but look forward to the time when they get home, fire up the Mac and hear a reassuring *Bong* to see a Grey Apple logo or a Happy Macintosh smiling at them to lighten their day. They don't just do work productively on a Mac, but they live and swear by it. A love-hate relationship just develops. Love it when its buzzing happily along. Swear it when it throws a tantrum.

Group 2:
The users. Perhaps these people brought a Mac cos its eye-catching and heard of its performance and power. However, to them, a Mac is nothing more than a tool, an instrument to be used with no life, no breath. They upgrade their Macs like they do with their Wintels. Treating them nothing but... tools... to be used and disposed of/trade-in when its dead.

Which group do u belong to? :)

I'm sold to both Macs and WAMD (wintel) ... - i'm in the middle.

But for stability and graphic design ... i'll go for a Mac anytime .. though my WAMD does the job fine, i still feel there is a void.

Still remember the day when my supervisor showed me how easy it was to install an application on a mac, drag .. .drop .... run! .. that's it! Wish it was that easy on a PC :rolleyes:

jsbn said:
The soul of the Mac is a PowerPC RISC Processor, the friendly GUI, powerful underlayer and of cos the 'life' in a Mac.

Up till now, I can't help but notice 2 groups of ppl in the Macintosh camp.

Group 1:
The true blue lovers. Not only because of the raw power of the Mac, but they simply LOVE their computers and develop a passion in using it. These people dread the day in office using their Wintels but look forward to the time when they get home, fire up the Mac and hear a reassuring *Bong* to see a Grey Apple logo or a Happy Macintosh smiling at them to lighten their day. They don't just do work productively on a Mac, but they live and swear by it. A love-hate relationship just develops. Love it when its buzzing happily along. Swear it when it throws a tantrum.

Group 2:
The users. Perhaps these people brought a Mac cos its eye-catching and heard of its performance and power. However, to them, a Mac is nothing more than a tool, an instrument to be used with no life, no breath. They upgrade their Macs like they do with their Wintels. Treating them nothing but... tools... to be used and disposed of/trade-in when its dead.

Which group do u belong to? :)
If what you say is true then the Apple never had a soul till it started utilizing the RISC instructioned CPU? I think Apple's heart and soul belong to it friendly OS GUI interface. The smilely face. :)

Apple_IIc.jpeg

That is the most classic Apple/Mac. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.