OMD vs EP3

DrSCooper

Aug 16, 2012
Singapore
Hi guys. Would like to seek some opinions from users here. Thinking of getting either the OMD or the EP3. Is the OMD really worth ~500 more than the EP3?

Some advantages of the OMD that I can think of:
EVF
Weatherproofing
Higher ISO
Newer Sensor
IBIS

I am an upgrader from PnS. Have been shooting with my uncle's Oly e-410 but basically still a noob.

Hi guys. Would like to seek some opinions from users here. Thinking of getting either the OMD or the EP3. Is the OMD really worth ~500 more than the EP3?

Some advantages of the OMD that I can think of:
EVF
Weatherproofing
Higher ISO
Newer Sensor
IBIS

I am an upgrader from PnS. Have been shooting with my uncle's Oly e-410 but basically still a noob.

You have already done your homework... So my advise is, if you have the additional $500, then buy the E-M5. Weatherproofing itself is a worthwhile upgrade since you guys live in Singapore (assuming). Also, the new image processing and sensor is different from the E-P3. If you have the money, always buy the newest else there will be a nagging voice saying "why didn't I plonk down my money for it?"

If TS decided on a EP3, a 2nd hand one would cost about $700 - $750, that is about $1000 off a new OMD.

If buy new, might as well get the OMD.

You have already done your homework... So my advise is, if you have the additional $500, then buy the E-M5. Weatherproofing itself is a worthwhile upgrade since you guys live in Singapore (assuming). Also, the new image processing and sensor is different from the E-P3. If you have the money, always buy the newest else there will be a nagging voice saying "why didn't I plonk down my money for it?"

If TS decided on a EP3, a 2nd hand one would cost about $700 - $750, that is about $1000 off a new OMD.

If buy new, might as well get the OMD.

Hi have found a deal where I can get the OMD at 15xx or the ep3 at just under a thousand, which is why I'm not really looking at 2nd hand since it's not that much of savings, and I get full warranty and assurance of a set in mint condition.

Yes like microcosm said, if i got the ep3, i'll still be drooling at the om-d when I see it.

Good lens should be considered as well.

Hi JW73, thanks for the advice. But basically I am a newbie, and hope to shoot a little more with the 12-50 kit lens first. Have done a a fair bit of noob-friendly reading on this forum, and it seems many advise noobs to just shoot with the kit lens first, to get a few of the most used-focal range. Although the 20/1.7 and 45/1.8 is a tempting combination. :bsmilie:

Hi have found a deal where I can get the OMD at 15xx or the ep3 at just under a thousand, which is why I'm not really looking at 2nd hand since it's not that much of savings, and I get full warranty and assurance of a set in mint condition.

Yes like microcosm said, if i got the ep3, i'll still be drooling at the om-d when I see it.

Hi JW73, thanks for the advice. But basically I am a newbie, and hope to shoot a little more with the 12-50 kit lens first. Have done a a fair bit of noob-friendly reading on this forum, and it seems many advise noobs to just shoot with the kit lens first, to get a few of the most used-focal range. Although the 20/1.7 and 45/1.8 is a tempting combination. :bsmilie:

That is good advice. Kit lenses are meant to be starting points, to do everything reasonably well so that you can decide what your photographic interest is and buy your next lens. IMHO the 12-50 kit lens is not bad. Olympus is positioning it as an "advanced kit lens", although it is not quite up to the same level as the Canon 15-85 (7D kit) or 24-105L (5D kit). It's not particularly sharp if you zoom in to 100% on your desktop monitor, but it is "good enough" for most non-professional purposes. Most importantly, it will be far better than most point-and-shoot cameras. The difference is significant enough to be noticeable at the fit-to-screen zoom level on a 23" 1080p monitor, even by a casual shooter (in my case, my wife who uses a Canon S95).

Where is the $500 justification?

$100 = Higher ISO that can have good picture(acceptable noise shot) at ISO 6400 which is a break through as EP3 good picture at ISO 1600 (2 stops)
$50 = Weather proof with the 12-50mm lens but I don't think that you will continue to shoot in the raining condition... ... so this is not too important factor... ...
$50 = EVF, understand you played with E-410 and if you used to the look into viewfinder then this justification price will be $100(because attached EVF can cost up to $200)
$50 = The retro design or the black trendy design looks seductive hehehee
$100 = IBIS the 5 axis is the breakthrough technology that can help taking slower shutter speed yet no camera shake. Example: you can take 1/8 sec picture handheld! as picture shown below
$250 = Video mode in IBIS! Even the Panasonic stabilization camcorder also very shaky and please note that this video all taken by handheld!
$200(not addition to all above) = IBIS + ISO 6400 = no more flash photography in most atmosphere which can as dark as restaurant, live band pub etc.

With all the justification the breakdown of the $$ difference up to $600 hahaahaa, that are what all my points wanted to drive at.

7657166484_01a385c1c6_b.jpg

[video=youtube_share;8X0y6RLkEYk]http://youtu.be/8X0y6RLkEYk?hd=1[/video]

Where is the $500 justification?

$100 = Higher ISO that can have good picture(acceptable noise shot) at ISO 6400 which is a break through as EP3 good picture at ISO 1600 (2 stops)
$50 = Weather proof with the 12-50mm lens but I don't think that you will continue to shoot in the raining condition... ... so this is not too important factor... ...
$50 = EVF, understand you played with E-410 and if you used to the look into viewfinder then this justification price will be $100(because attached EVF can cost up to $200)
$50 = The retro design or the black trendy design looks seductive hehehee
$100 = IBIS the 5 axis is the breakthrough technology that can help taking slower shutter speed yet no camera shake. Example: you can take 1/8 sec picture handheld! as picture shown below
$250 = Video mode in IBIS! Even the Panasonic stabilization camcorder also very shaky and please note that this video all taken by handheld!
$200(not addition to all above) = IBIS + ISO 6400 = no more flash photography in most atmosphere which can as dark as restaurant, live band pub etc.

With all the justification the breakdown of the $$ difference up to $600 hahaahaa, that are what all my points wanted to drive at.

Olympus marketing should hire you. Or at least publish this on their website, hahaha!

I think TS decide whether to get silver or black OMD better, haha.

Personally, the in-built EVF, retro look and 5-axis ibis is enough to sway me to E-M5.

I prefer EP3 shape and form factor. But prefer EM5 for everything else. Like Alphonse said, there isn't $500 diff. EVF alone would cut the diff down to $200 if everything buy new.
16mp sensor + 5 axis IBIS + weather seal is worth more than $200 difference.

Think no further.

Well, you got to first ask yourself what do you usually shoot that a EP3 can't get you that you need a OMD?

Of course, if money is no issue, then get the OMD!

i was previously going for the E-P3, until the very last minute when i shifted my attention to the E-M5.

though still cost more than the E-P3, i went for the E-M5 mainly due to its improved ISO, 5-axis IBIS, tilty screen and EVF.

man, i was glad that i spent that extra money, shooting the E-M5 brings another kind of joy to me which is lacking in my 7D.

if ep1<ep2<ep3, then ep3<<<em5...:) glad they ditched panasonic sensor:bsmilie:

Tried a handful of M4/3 camera bodies already...but once I went EM5, there's no going back :)

Everything else (with the exception of the NEX perhaps) feels primitive and slow T_T

just go for e-m5 straight. no point trying ep3. because after you bought ep3, you will be poisoned and want to try EM5 more.

I started my first micro four third camera with EP3 but I used for just one week and sold it to get EM5. Now been a happy EM5 user for two months

akuaku said:
just go for e-m5 straight. no point trying ep3. because after you bought ep3, you will be poisoned and want to try EM5 more.

I started my first micro four third camera with EP3 but I used for just one week and sold it to get EM5. Now been a happy EM5 user for two months

Yes I second that. Cos after considering when buying em5,its hefty price kept on bothering me and I constantly harping on many negative "what ifs". After bracing up to buy omd EM5 on last April, I am still smiling from ear to ear about my dare purchase of my omd em5, given its good performance of low light, compact size but powerful, better than my old Pentax K5 and Canon 7D and no more frequent neck and shoulder aches due to carrying either bulky dslrs. Now me ooohhhing and aaahhhing over M4/3 lens-quite affordable,compact and sharper lens especially Olympus M.Zuiko collection....

Last edited:
Yes I second that. Cos after considering when buying em5,its hefty price kept on bothering me and I constantly harping on many negative "what ifs". After bracing up to buy omd EM5 on last April, I am still smiling from ear to ear about my dare purchase of my omd em5, given its good performance of low light, compact size but powerful, better than my old Pentax K5 and Canon 7D and no more frequent neck and shoulder aches.

can't agree more, the OMD really saves me from a lot of backaches.

In the end it boils down to how much budget you have or how much are you willing to spend.

Frankly speaking those advantages you have listed out are already good enough for 1 to draw another $500 from his/her bank (at least i know i will do it).

But like i said..If you dont wish to spend so much and just need a camera that can take photos. EP3 is fine too. :)

tecnica said:
can't agree more, the OMD really saves me from a lot of backaches.

Precisely why I ditched my DSLR for m4/3. The E-M5 is as capable as my 60D but so much easier on my neck and shoulders. The lenses are all much lighter and smaller, too.

Good m4/3 gear is not cheaper than DSLR gear, but you are paying for quality.