OMD EM5II won't turn off!

Jit

Jan 3, 2003
I've been using my Olympus OMD EM5 MkII for quite awhile now and it's probably way past the warranty period, but I recently started experiencing issues with the camera where it would simply refuse to turn off!

The only way to turn off the camera would be to take the battery out, but it would turn right back on again once I reinsert the battery, even if the switch is in the "off" position. A firmware update, a factory reset, all did not fix the problem.

Went to google a bit and found that quite a few people have experienced this issue before and sometimes the problem would persist even after Olympus supposedly repaired the camera.

Anyone here has had this issue so far and have you been able to fix it?

Spray some contact cleaner at the on off spot see if it helps? Just make sure it is dry before u insert the battery

A few users mentioned that the switch isn't a mechanical switch but appears to be a "soft" switch instead, where switching it to the "off" position basically triggers the software to tell the camera to shut off.

I realised that turning it to "off" and randomly rotating my mode dial does make the camera shut off sometimes, which kind of makes me believe that it's not really a hardware issue but more of software.. Guess I'll bring it down to Olympus to check it out.

I've been using my Olympus OMD EM5 MkII for quite awhile now and it's probably way past the warranty period, but I recently started experiencing issues with the camera where it would simply refuse to turn off!

The only way to turn off the camera would be to take the battery out, but it would turn right back on again once I reinsert the battery, even if the switch is in the "off" position. A firmware update, a factory reset, all did not fix the problem.

Went to google a bit and found that quite a few people have experienced this issue before and sometimes the problem would persist even after Olympus supposedly repaired the camera.

Anyone here has had this issue so far and have you been able to fix it?

Seen this with one member tdreamz as well, likely only option is Osc. But not sure if his got fixed fully after servicing.

Hope u are not traveling at the moment though, coz battery life will run out fast.

U can try pm him to check.

My has the same issue few months ago.

Paid $100+ and was told they did some cleaning and no parts was replaced.

Until today switch is working fine. If didn't remember wrong repair in Aug this year.

My has the same issue few months ago.

Paid $100+ and was told they did some cleaning and no parts was replaced.

Until today switch is working fine. If didn't remember wrong repair in Aug this year.

Seems like it's happened to quite a number of people after searching around other forums. Wondering how dirt buildup could possibly cause this type of issue in a weather-sealed camera.. mine's never even been in bad weather conditions before..

Seems like it's happened to quite a number of people after searching around other forums. Wondering how dirt buildup could possibly cause this type of issue in a weather-sealed camera.. mine's never even been in bad weather conditions before..

Not sure. my camera has been in Singapore all this 1 year + . Under the Sun (outdoor) and Air con (indoor). Damn sure nv kanna rain before.

But I was told they resolved it by cleaning..

Guess there's a solution , interesting to learn about 'software' switching vs hard switching

Guess there's a solution , interesting to learn about 'software' switching vs hard switching

Not too sure about it too, just something I read on other forums, but they do have a point too I guess, since you can turn the camera off using the Olympus app on the phone while it's connected even though the power switch is still in the on position..

Almost all digital devices are 'soft' switches these days.. A hard switch is asking for trouble :p

Just to update, it was apparently a contact issue so it only required some cleaning and no parts replaced. Cost $107. So much for weather sealing.. Zzz..

Just to update, it was apparently a contact issue so it only required some cleaning and no parts replaced. Cost $107. So much for weather sealing.. Zzz..

Weather sealing doesn't mean it will never be exposed to the elements

I have solved the "won't turn off" issue on my EM5ii. I would have had to send it to Japan (I live in West Virginia, USA) to the dealer in Tokyo (where I bought it) for warranty repair, but I'm impatient. Meaning I was willing to risk having to pay for a non-warranty repair if my solution didn't work.

I applied regular 90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol to the switch with an eye dropper, then actuated it back a forth 4 or 5 times. It started working, and has been working for a couple of days now; my wife used it to make some marching band photos for the middle school today, with no problems.

There is a little depressed area directly under the power switch. About 3 drops did the trick. I kept the camera upright on my desk so that it wouldn't spill off to anywhere else while I worked the switch back and forth. And it worked like a charm, for about $2 that I paid for the bottle of alcohol at CVS.

My theory is that there is lube on an O-ring seal that is fouling a contact in these cameras; the alcohol seepage is enough to remove it. One caveat: the switch is noticeably more difficult to move, but not annoyingly so.

Try this at your own risk. It worked for me, but your mileage may vary.

EDIT:
After my wife used the camera all day, the switch action has gone back to its normal operation, with no stiffness. Apparently, the alcohol had swelled the seal temporarily. The camera is still working great.

Last edited:
Weather sealing doesn't mean it will never be exposed to the elements
I don't believe that this issue has anything to do with ingress of water or dust. The waterproof rotary switches would be sealed with O-rings, which would need some type of lubricant to prevent binding. I've seen this before, on other types of equipment--the lubricant can migrate to electrical contacts, increasing the electrical resistance. See my post in this thread for details.

I don't believe that this issue has anything to do with ingress of water or dust. The waterproof rotary switches would be sealed with O-rings, which would need some type of lubricant to prevent binding. I've seen this before, on other types of equipment--the lubricant can migrate to electrical contacts, increasing the electrical resistance. See my post in this thread for details.

But I never said anything about your problem. All I commented was "weather sealing doesn't mean it will never be exposed to the elements". Things fail, o rings will degrade over time and water will seep in. My response was in response to your "so much for weather sealing"