OM 90mm macro brief encounter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightpiper

Oct 20, 2003
hi all, yes u read it right. i m writing to tell u all my brief encounter with this OM 90mm macro F2.0 lens which i borrowed for a few days.

i consider this baby the last of the OM family in the late 80s. it was very expensive then, & it is still very expensive now. :what: the build quality is indisputeable the best. kind of heavy too compared to its OM 50mm brothers. Quality aside, this lens is also very very rare & very very hard to find.

so how's the image quality? well, i can't help it but compare it with my Nikkor 55mm AIS micro lens. i was surprised to note that the OM 90mm is better than the 55mm Nikkor. dun just take my word for it, have a look at it for yourself.

the first pic was from Nikkor 55mm:

bighead.jpg

here's one from the OM 90mm:

draco3.jpg

although they r different pics, but u can clearly see more details from the OM 90mm lens. if u r not convinced, here's another closer look:

Nikkor
fly.jpg

OM 90mm
horrorcrop.jpg

again, although they r different pics, it clearly shows how much more detail can be resolved on the OM 90mm. hope the fly didn't eek u out.

definitely the OM 90mm needs somemore pics galore, so here they r:

tigger2.jpg

hunchback2.jpg

brownny.jpg

sleep.jpg

raffles2.jpg

more samples of this OM 90mm F2.0 macro lens can be found here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/y154/roundscreen/OM 90mm macro/

its a pity i can't own this lens but it has been a great honour to test it out. i wud like to thank the owner for his generousity in lending me his precious little gem. THANK YOU!! this lens is one precious little baby. very very good quality. if any of u have a chance to own this lens, by all means grab the opportunity.

(ps. i dun wish to name him for fear of many flocking to him for a hands on. thx u all for ur understanding.)

edited: before i forget, i met fellow CSer using the E1 in SBG. like to say hello to Bailey here.

u guys may be wondering how does it looks like? well, i did a really quicky job on the lens pics so pls pardon the not so straight alignment. :embrass:

at infinity focus, the lens is quite short:

90.jpg

at closest focusing distance, its pretty long:

90-3.jpg

and when open up to full F2.0, its got a big hole.

90-2.jpg

overall, i find it better in image quality than the Nikkor 55mm F2.8 AIS micro lens. the OM 90mm handles distortion & chroma aberration better too. bokeh is also more pleasent & i think it is due mainly to its 9 blade diaphram aperture design. well, i can't show it to u guys here cos it takes a lot of pixel peeping, guess u just have to take my word for it. ;)

some of the BEST insect shots I have ever seen here at CS... really, in terms of detail and colour, simply amazing!

WOW!!! Nightpiper :bigeyes: :thumbsup:

Big Bugs. "Swee and juicy" ;p

You snap excellent marco, you must buy the 50 mm marco lens, you know. Then you can shoot more and can share share here with us your pics and shooting technique. ;)

:cheers:

thx u all for the kind comments. :embrass:

actually these pics r to show u the quality of the OM 90mm lens. personally, i dun think the pics r that good. no break thru if u have noticed from my previous insects. everything also sama sama (angle, position, etc). :sweat:

nothing special with my technique. alot have to do with trial & error, read mags & look at other people's macro shots. :p but i must confess that the E1's ability to capture colour & capability to reproduce the details r added advantage.

nightpiper said:

actually these pics r to show u the quality of the OM 90mm lens. personally, i dun think the pics r that good. no break thru if u have noticed from my previous insects. everything also sama sama (angle, position, etc). :sweat:

nothing special with my technique. alot have to do with trial & error, read mags & look at other people's macro shots. :p but i must confess that the E1's ability to capture colour & capability to reproduce the details r added advantage.

I think u have plastic butterfly, house fly and dragon fly hehehe so u shoot them always with all kinds of lenses hahaha just kidding.

nightpiper said:

you're too modest. those were great shots really. I have much to learn from you... still trying to get my macro shots right. :thumbsup:

btw, do you use flash for those shots?

tao said:
you're too modest. those were great shots really. I have much to learn from you... still trying to get my macro shots right. :thumbsup:

Share share, share share...... :cheergal: :cheergal: :cheergal:

:cheers:

#1 and #4 is :thumbsup:

tao said:

yep, i use flash & the E1. so go get yourself an E1. :devil: :bsmilie:

BUY! BUY! BUY!

my flash is bounced from a white board. self made, nothing fancy. u can see it in the expedition post. ;)

if possible, i wud want to try the wire cord & fire the flash off cam (inspiration from chancy). yet to know the result of such setup & the difficulty level in not scaring the insects away. :sweat: kind of complex in terms of hand holding & balancing if u ask me. :sweatsm:

(ps. both fly shots r cropped but at a little different size. the actual one can be seen by clicking on the link)

anyone knows how much the wirecord costs? thinking of buying one.

bariq said:
I think u have plastic butterfly, house fly and dragon fly hehehe so u shoot them always with all kinds of lenses hahaha just kidding.

oh no, i need to post my E1 on the buy/sell sub-forum already. after so many mosquito bites & the pics turn out looking plasticky. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

but seriously guys, what do u think of this OM 90mm image quality? esp for those who owns some OM macro lenses. some feedback or pics to compare pls. :angel:

nightpiper said:
oh no, i need to post my E1 on the buy/sell sub-forum already. after so many mosquito bites & the pics turn out looking plasticky. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

but seriously guys, what do u think of this OM 90mm image quality? esp for those who owns some OM macro lenses. some feedback or pics to compare pls. :angel:

Image quality of the lens is superb and so is ur skill in taking macros

nightpiper said:

:bsmilie: come come.. I swap my E-300 kit with Grip for yr E-1

nightpiper said:

The picture quality does look amazing and considering that it is 90mm, that means 180mm equivalent on the E system, that means it has additional reach compared with say, the 50mm Zuiko Digital.

I have seen images taken with the ZD 50mm macro lens and find it remarkably sharp too. How do you think it compares with the oldie 90mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.