Olympus XZ-1 with FAST f1.8 lens

Would you really want to shoot a 1 hour long video clip?

My understanding is that you shoot 1-3 minutes of video clips and put it together to make a meaningful story. 1 hour continuously?! :bigeyes:

Unless he shoot his children singing and dancing la XD

spidey89 said:
Unless he shoot his children singing and dancing la XD
For 1 hour continuously?

Let's see...

1. File size will be too big. Must have big capacity memory card.

2. Can't handhold for 1 hour so need a tripod.

For 1 hour continuously?

Let's see...

1. File size will be too big. Must have big capacity memory card.

2. Can't handhold for 1 hour so need a tripod.

That is also true, but I haven't seen a case of shooting for even more than 7 minutes, a song usually around 3 mins plus :bsmilie:

Olympus comes with 74% gold from Dpreview,
focal length - 28-122mm
f1.8 - f2.4 lens
built-in, popup flash
LCD 3" and 614K dots
HD movie 1280x720
White body
1/1.63" sensor
price US$600+
It looks attractive and can compete with LX5

Olympus comes with 74% gold from Dpreview,
focal length - 28-122mm
f1.8 - f2.4 lens
built-in, popup flash
LCD 3" and 614K dots
HD movie 1280x720
White body
1/1.63" sensor
price US$600+
It looks attractive and can compete with LX5

It's listed as USD499 on dpreview, which is the same price as the LX5 in the US.

Cathay has just received their stocks today around noon.

was at TK Foto earlier, according to them, stocks are expected either later today or tomorrow.

price is expected to be 699 + 8GB

Not really,depends on usage, the PENs shoot 7minutes of video, I shoot at max a minute :bsmilie: but that's how my school project has to be done, if you wanna shoot video, best go back to camcorders, dedicated ones shoot longer than an hour I believe

yah... depending on usage... i took short videos of 2-3 minutes very often with my panny tz7...

eg. when i go to singapore flyer, i took 360 degree of video...
when i was a swissotel rooftop, i also took short video clips...

so 7 minutes of video is not enough for me... that is why i say sianz 1/2...

XZ-1 now available. Only black though and very limited stock. Parisilk cheaper than TK Photo. ;)

Last edited:
yah... depending on usage... i took short videos of 2-3 minutes very often with my panny tz7...

Hahahaha, I think you got the idea wrong, 7 minutes of video doesn't mean total amount of video that can be stored,its 7 minutes of video per clip,so say you have a 8GB sd card, and 3 minutes is 200mb, means you can shoot a total of 40 3min clips

I'm not sure if I got what you meant right, reading this comment, it seems like you think that its 7mins in total per memory card,but I could have gotten your meaning wrong

Last edited:

Well, 7 minutes is more than enough for one lap around Sepang....:)

In any case I shot some videos and a few came up to 1.3 GB per file. My longest file is about 6 minutes and I thought it was plenty long already. None of the videos that I have shot so far, have ever been cut short because of the 7 minute limit. Its always because I turn it off. So...all I can say is that probably 99% of the people dun really need any video function that long. Olympus must have done their market research. But I guess, u are probably one of the few. In any case, I bought the camera for photography. Not video. I dun really like video anyway...although it is HD, it still aint 12 MP. Its moving images, but the resolution is still lower.

If u need 1 hour video, then the XZ1 is not for you. Go get the panasonic. But I was just thinking, if 6-7 min already produce a 1.3 GB file, then for 1 hour video, u will need a 7-8 GB card. I think I will be damn scared to transfer this file onto my PC or to play. May crash or hang my computer. LOL!

Last edited:
Can I request Oly to take out the video and charge me 100 bucks less for the camera?

:angel:

The charger is F-2 AC/USB. Is it using camera to charge battery.

Hahahaha, I think you got the idea wrong, 7 minutes of video doesn't mean total amount of video that can be stored,its 7 minutes of video per clip,so say you have a 8GB sd card, and 3 minutes is 200mb, means you can shoot a total of 40 3min clips

I'm not sure if I got what you meant right, reading this comment, it seems like you think that its 7mins in total per memory card,but I could have gotten your meaning wrong

yo guys... thank for clearing this up for me... i really thought that only 7 mins can be stored into a single 8GB card....

i took a look at the dpreview... based on the below. seems like a 1 minutes video will need about 240MB.

Sample movie: 1280 x 720 pixels @ 30 fps
File size: 120.2 MB, 30.6 secs

now will have to see whether this XZ-1 or the panny LX5 is better.

yo guys... thank for clearing this up for me... i really thought that only 7 mins can be stored into a single 8GB card....

i took a look at the dpreview... based on the below. seems like a 1 minutes video will need about 240MB.

One big plus for the XZ1 would be the Art Filters. If you are someone like me who does not like to spend time doing PP then the filters are really great. The dramatic tone filter is simply lovely for sceneries but please not for portraits as it makes the skin look dirty....

:bsmilie: Glad it cleared up the air, As to whether which would be better, probably just wait, but the fact that the lens is Zuiko and at f1.8 on the wide end makes me drool even for video, though quality produced may not beat LX5

so anyone here got the XZ-1? if yes, would appreciate if can put down the cost and give a short review...

will be helpful for future buyers of this cam.