Olympus water and shock proof PnS

Status
Not open for further replies.

scenic98

Jun 11, 2004
thinking of replacing my Casio 4mp PnS and the mju770 and 725 catches my attention for being waterproof and shockproof (for the 770).
i normally carry the PnS in my briefcase when I go on biz travel or on ocassions which prevents me from using my dSLR...like when I am in a theme park taking wild rides.
feels their extra features will give a added angle, taking pics in water.

as i have never used a Olympus camera, anyone has any personal experience with the 2 or with Olympus camera?

tks

thinking of replacing my Casio 4mp PnS and the mju770 and 725 catches my attention for being waterproof and shockproof (for the 770).
i normally carry the PnS in my briefcase when I go on biz travel or on ocassions which prevents me from using my dSLR...like when I am in a theme park taking wild rides.

as i have never used a Olympus camera, anyone has any personal experience with the 2 or with Olympus camera?

tks

At one point I also thought of buying this cos being waterproof and shockproof find it meaningful (gd protection) but was at funan & the salesperson told me IQ not so gd, if not, I'd bought it already:)dunno: how true IQ) then end up with TZ1:thumbsup: (current cos with this size where to find with this focal-range+O.I.S.+Leica-lens-f2.8@35mm-f4.2@350mm):thumbsup: . But of course, still wish I can have the waterproof and shockproof features.

May have to wait for those Oly-770 & 725 users to reply.

sounds like it suits your needs, being waterproof and shockproof.
Not many choices here if that is what you're looking for. I say, get it.
Image quality may not match your dSLR, but it's better to get the shot than not at all.
Olympus, after all, isn't a lousy brand.

IQ of point and shoots don't really differ much (IMHO of course). Defining points are usually build quality, feature set, RAW capability that sort of thing. Do watch out for marketing-speak where point and shoots are concerned; all manufacturers throw in impressive-sounding names for really basic features to "assure" the average consumer.

Prosumers have a wider variation of IQ due to greater user control; it depends on who uses it.

errr...pardon my forum ignorance....what's IQ ? :embrass:

agree about the flashy terms for basic features. like VR, IS blah blah all meaning anti-shake.
to me, picture quality is most important.

i was given a basic 6mp olympus FE-170 at as a door gift during a christmas party. imho, cannot make it. the camera is just plain slow, from starting up to processing the image to deleting the image. i even got the faster xD card. but i guess since it's a basic model cost just about $300 at Courts.

have to go and try the 725 and 770 and see.

errr...pardon my forum ignorance....what's IQ ? :embrass:

agree about the flashy terms for basic features. like VR, IS blah blah all meaning anti-shake.
to me, picture quality is most important.

i was given a basic 6mp olympus FE-170 at as a door gift during a christmas party. imho, cannot make it. the camera is just plain slow, from starting up to processing the image to deleting the image. i even got the faster xD card. but i guess since it's a basic model cost just about $300 at Courts.

have to go and try the 725 and 770 and see.
Usually, PnS have a lag in their photo capture, which cannot be compared to that of a DSLR. You would need to get used to the lag and work within the limits. Still can get pretty good snapshots.

Not so sure it's that worth it. I carry around my trusty old Minolta (When they were still KM) Dimage Xt. 3.2MB resolution. Noisy as hell in low lights or any iso higher than 100, but still gave me many good images. Why, because anything bigger, I would not have carried it, nor bother to bring it out with me :) and with no camera, the can be no picture.

Get something small and lightweight. You will use it more often.

So far, my experience with Oly camera has been quite good. Was with my faithful Oly C5050for the last 5 years :) just parted with it due to my u/w photo taking requirement ( excuse to buy housing for my Dslr).

On the whole, the IQ is not bad. just that most Oly camera seems to suffer from slow recycle rate ( not sure of the exact term, i mean how soon u can take the next photo) but maybe that's just me cos i shooting in RAW mode most of the time.

Anyway, the water and dust proof feature is a good thing if u like seaside and beach and dont want the hassle to get a housed camera for water use.

As for sales man... dont trust the fellow. They always try to sell you the item with the biggest profit margin. How do i know that? coz i work in retail sales before and that is what we are briefed on everyday before the shop opens :) dont believe... go try yourself :) but not every altenative day though. haha

Just my $0.02

Get something small and lightweight. You will use it more often.
agree...the Oly is kinda heavy for a PnS. Read the 770 review in dpreview. Seems Oly haven't sorted out the lag issue. I find my Casio lag quite acceptable. But the noise is totally unacceptable, hence the itch to change.

if only sony has similar features. why sony? cos i have quite a few MS Pro Duo cards lying around from my PSP and my previous SE handphone. kinda like the new T100

As for sales man... dont trust the fellow. They always try to sell you the item with the biggest profit margin. How do i know that? coz i work in retail sales before and that is what we are briefed on everyday before the shop opens dont believe... go try yourself but not every altenative day though. haha.

tell me about it. this was how i got the casio. was in HK, originally wanted to get a sony back then, but kenna talk into getting this grey casio. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.