Olympus vs sony

Jacquelinehoe

Sep 3, 2011
Hi I'm a newbie in this and thinking if I should capitalize on Comex pricing and get myself a real camera.

Considering either EPL-3 or EP3 or Nex C3

Thanks!

for lens range..go for the olympus..you can purchase mounting for canon,nikon mount for the olympus but what i heard for sony..they only have A mounting..so that makes ur lens selection lesser for sony.so if your planning on using other lenses..you can consider olympus..and the grip seems to be better on the pen

Last edited:
for lens range..go for the olympus..you can purchase mounting for canon,nikon mount for the olympus but what i heard for sony..they only have A mounting..so that makes ur lens selection lesser for sony.so if your planning on using other lenses..you can consider olympus..and the grip seems to be better on the pen

i don't know where you got your information from, but there are many lens adaptors for the E-mount system. you can mount not only Canon, Nikon lenses, but also Micro 4/3, legacy lenses etc.

it's just so vast!

your information is so flawed.

The limited Sony lens selection is commonly mentioned in reviews. To get a separate adaptor is an option.

Other than that, have anyone tried out the cams? I will really hope to have some feedbacks. Thanks!!

Hi I'm a newbie in this and thinking if I should capitalize on Comex pricing and get myself a real camera.

Thanks!

Take note that you need to be a real photographer to use a real camera ;)

Your thread title sounds like you're trying to start a brand war... hahaha

Personally I find the Nex C3 far too small to hold comfortably. Your choice ultimately.

The limited Sony lens selection is commonly mentioned in reviews. To get a separate adaptor is an option.

Other than that, have anyone tried out the cams? I will really hope to have some feedbacks. Thanks!!

How many lenses do you think you'll want to get for this camera?
I'd imagine that a 'typical' user would want lenses in the wide-to-mid-tele range (eg. your 18-50+ kind of range), and I don't think the Nex line-up is really short in that count.

Try to google "nex c3 vs ep3"

Camera grip depend on people's hand, so can't tell which one is better until u hold it urself.

As far as i know, there is alot of adaptors for mounting any lens on almost any interchangable lens camera. Except FF camera must hv only FF lens. But when adaptor use, they might stop u from using AF.

For me i choose the Nex C3 coz i need the bigger sensor for higher ISO performence as i need to shot in low light w/o flash.
So u need to know what u actually need.

m4/3 cameras have a line of small lenses to compliment the system if you choose to do so. Typically, that will mean you forgo the use of some of the larger sized zoom lenses.
The EP3 does have more buttons and dials for faster access to often used settings.
The camera has in camera shake reduction as well.

The NEX at the moment does not have a complimentary series of small lenses for its small body. Most of its lenses are as big as that of a DSLR, which to me defeats the purpose of such a small body. However, it is a very nice APS-C sensor platform for manual lenses from other brands; esp small rangefinder lenses and small primes of various brands. In fact the later use has attracted lots of attention from rangefinder users. If you don't mind the larger lenses, its a system worth looking at.

Both systems are highly capable for normal usage.
It depends on what you want at the end of the day.

Last edited:

It's usually the other way round, these sellers capitalize on Comex to "chop carrots" who rush in like no tomorrow..
Avoid the crowds, get better prices at the recommended shops in CS.. Visit the price guide section for the list..

Olympus and Panasonic's m4/3 cameras are very well received by many many photographers... however due to the smaller sized sensor, noise handling is not on par with their bigger APS-C sensor's cousins such as the Sony NEX.

I have tried (owned a EP-L1) both the NEX and m4/3 cameras and found that both are easy to use... although not as easy to use as using a DSLR (many of the functions are embedded into the menu and you have to dig those out). As for the lens collection, it is pretty silly to say that NEX had lesser lens as compared to Olympus and Panasonic... like what others had pointed out, you would not need all the lenses from whatever brand and only use at the most one to three lenses... all other will be resting in the cabinet.

Plus... what do TS mean by real camera... all cameras are real. They do what they are designed to do... and some might give you something extra...

Oh... and one more thing... seriously I don't understand what is the deal with all these comex questions, "Should I buy from comex, should I make use of their offer, should I get chop?" I mean... every other days... or hours, we are receiving this type of questions... and the answer had already been given so so so so many many many many times.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Anyway TS, i suggest u not to buy anything yet, Fair is already last day today. Dun be too rush n ended with something u might regret. Take ur time to browse thru the web n Clubsnap forum. There many interesting information u can get here which is very useful. After u could go those shop recommended here to hand-on your shortlisted camera n make ur final purchase. I believe there better pricing outside the fair.

i don't know where you got your information from, but there are many lens adaptors for the E-mount system. you can mount not only Canon, Nikon lenses, but also Micro 4/3, legacy lenses etc.

it's just so vast!

your information is so flawed.

:thumbsup:

MrTiew Yehui said:

U heard?

U heard from who?? Your friends?? Who are these friends??

Or u heard from salesman?

Hi TS,

The problem is that many of the people here are coming from the POV of going from DSLR -> small. That's why there is talk about adapted lenses and rangefinders and so on.

The fact is, both of these will give you way better quality than a PnS or the iPhone.

A few questions you need to ask yourself are:
1) Are you the type who likes 'one-touch' shortcuts, where you can immediately get to that one button that will change your settings in a perfect and precise way? If yes, get the EP3. It will grow with you and allow you to configure as you please with different options to be very accessible as you learn more.
2) Are you the type who simply MUST have the best image quality available, because otherwise it will keep nagging at you to upgrade? If so, get the Nex.
3) Is size of the primary concern for you? Everything MUST be small? If so, get the EP3 because it preserves your options as you want to get more lenses in future.
4) Are you the kind who likes 'no fuss' and quick picture taking? Do you want to mainly take pictures of moving things? Or are you willing to take a few seconds longer per picture (which normally means posed-for pictures or static landscapes). If you like 'no fuss', then you need auto-focus. EP3 has more choices for auto-focus. Nex has less.
5) Would you like to use 'iPhone-style' touchscreen to focus and take photos? If so, get the EP3.

They're both great options, really. Just go to one of the respectable shops where prices are quite reasonable for either choice, and where service is no-pressure, unlike Comex. Then take your time to try :)

U heard?

U heard from who?? Your friends?? Who are these friends??

Or u heard from salesman?

Must be the "experts" working the counters at John 3:16.

Why not wait for nex-5n or nex 7? I think currently the sensor capabilities, Sony win hands down. Some review of nex 5n alr show that the IQ beats D7000 alr. Maybe nex 7 will be better. But also more ex.

Personally I think nex 7 is good. But if you prefer smaller cam. Epl 3 or ep3 will be better.

Rashkae said:
Must be the "experts" working the counters at John 3:16.

Or is that there are salesmen lurking in this forum?

Personally I do not like NEX design esp the grip area. I would go for Oly. Nonetheless, the cameras mentioned are all good systems so it's best to head straight to the shops to have hands-on.

Or is that there are salesmen lurking in this forum?

Well.....i won't be surprised if there are. Its quite normal.