Olympus to sell off camera division

The Olympus Break Free Em1 ad is one very interesting movie advertisement.

I am sure it is not for serious photographer.

But I am not sure who is it for, to watch through the entire thing that is 10 minutes long without understanding the specific features of the camera.

Olympus always has very good promotional campaign, but this one borders on the abstract. Is this like modern art where it can be appreciated only by a few?

Sssshhh don't let anyone know Olympus's hidden feature is teleportation? Hehe.

It's ok you view photography as serious, but on the other side of the world it is FUN! ;)

This is the exact reason... there are just no equivalent in terms of the combination of features Olympus has.

If you want outright hi-iso performance and dynamic range... FF or MF is no brainer (you can split hairs with APSC if you're really incline to)

If you want great primes and film simulation colour science go for Fujifilm

If you want weather sealed super-stabilised zooms or primes that have options from 7–400mm (14-800mm FF) you can consider Olympus OR Panasonic.

Not sure if anyone watched the movie comparison of EM1 mk3 version A7III? The jello effect is quite significant on the A7III but well controlled in the EM1 Mk3... that is something that can't be corrected in post if you're into video.

1. The Z50 should not even be compared to the EM5.3, let alone the EM1.3 and EM1x.
The Z50 has no IBIS, only 11 fps, shutter speed of 1/4000.
The 6600 has IBIS, but also 11 fps and shutter speed of 1/4000.
The EM5.3 has 6.5 stops IBIS, 30 fps and 1/32000 shutter speed
It is more appropriate to compare the Z50 with the EM10.3

2. The reason why I choose EM5.3 over the Sony 6600
The Sony 6600 series has a sealed body but has limited APS lenses and they are not sealed.
If I use Sony FF lenses on the 6600, not only the focal length are not what I am used to
(eg. 24-70 becomes 36 to 105mm???, 50mm becomes 75mm) the cost of the whole system
will make my system goes way over my budget and a much heavier camera bag.

But you have every right to choose the Sony 6600 over Olympus.
I just don't like to configure my system that way.

You can Google: Five of our Favorite Weather Sealed Sony E Mount Lenses that Are Splash Happy
I think the writer chose 5 out of many.

Another forum member has warned that his Olympus camera/lens was not truly weather sealed and Olympus failed to honour their pledge.
So do not place too much faith in Olympus weather seal.

Success or failure of MFT is not about you or anyone in this forum.

The choice to abandon MFT will be made worldwide by new consumers and new camera buyers. Investors / shareholders will pressure Olympus board of directors at shareholder meeting. The trend towards bigger sensors makes MFT commercially not viable in or after 2020. There will always be a small band of loyalists who are already heavily invested in the MFT system.

Last edited:
In Feb 2018, Sony announced new back illuminated CMOS sensor that completely eliminates rolling shutter. Theoretically, no more jello.

You can Google: Five of our Favorite Weather Sealed Sony E Mount Lenses that Are Splash Happy
I think the writer chose 5 out of many.

Another forum member has warned that his Olympus camera/lens was not truly weather sealed and Olympus failed to honour their pledge.
So do not place too much faith in Olympus weather seal.
Did you even go thru the article?
The 5 lenses are:
Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary
Sony 35mm f2.8 FE
Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD
Sony 85mm F1.8 FE
Sony 70-200mm F4 OSS

They are either Sony FE Lenses (too heavy and costly for a APS system like 6600) or they are made by third party.

Do you really want to buy a Sony 35mm 2.8 FE, mount it on a Sony 6600 to have a 52.5mm with F3.6??????
(just to have weather sealed). That is very costly and a inferior combination.

I certainly would prefer the Olympus EM5.3 with a 25mm F1.8 (50mm equivalent).

I have a lot of respect for Sony Full Frame cameras and lenses (it's my dream high end system when I can afford it,
and need that kind of IQ, resolution and dynamic range).

But over the Sony APS series (6xxx), I certainly choose Olympus or Fujifilm over it.
Do more research and you will see why.

By the way, I had bad experience with Sigma and Tamron on my Canon system and
even though I know they have improved, I am quite hesitant to use them.

Compare body size of A7R III vs E-M1 Mk III. One can look it up.
Actually a full frame Sony mirrorless is not so big and those weather sealed lenses would be alright - for person who still trusts weather seal.
Advantage of the 1 mount concept is one can step up from APS-C to Full Frame.
Alternatively instead of A6600, can just start directly with A7 R III.
But if brand loyalty is to Olympus and somehow one loves the 3.8 times smaller sensor, then let it be.
Buying is an emotive decision.

Yes, can't be helped, some people just like to eat jellies...

In Feb 2018, Sony announced new back illuminated CMOS sensor that completely eliminates rolling shutter. Theoretically, no more jello.

Compare body size of A7R III vs E-M1 Mk III. One can look it up.
Actually a full frame Sony mirrorless is not so big and those weather sealed lenses would be alright - for person who still trusts weather seal.
Advantage of the 1 mount concept is one can step up from APS-C to Full Frame.
Alternatively instead of A6600, can just start directly with A7 R III.
But if brand loyalty is to Olympus and somehow one loves the 3.8 times smaller sensor, then let it be.
Buying is an emotive decision.

Why buy APS-C when FF is the rage? Just so you can continue to use your APS-C lens in a crop and sacrifice the wide end IF you are to step up? Maybe... but been there done that and doesn't work and spend a lot of money for this lesson.

Luring people to enter APS-C because (people thinks) there's a upgrade path to FF is "unethical" in my opinion. :p "They" should do it like Fujifilm...

I didn't mind the MFT sensor size because of the "benefits" it brings, and it did make my happy using it :) how wonderful isn't it?

The original thread is about the sale of olympus camera division, so now let's summarize our views :

The MFT loyalists and defenders eg sadwitch, Pitachu, swifty, by-blu : Trully believe that MFT has the best combination of any system and Olympus MFT future is bright.

The realist eg Ricohflex, SNAG, castortroy, tommyk : MFT is doomed, sonner or later and Olympus camera division is doom as well

(Please correct me if I wrongly summarize your views)

Both sides have good arguments to support their outlook although the loyalist's arguments are generally more emotion based.
The realists are generally experienced camera users and based their outlook on financial numbers and the competitive market factors.

Let's see what happens in 3, 5 and 10 years ahead.

The original thread is about the sale of olympus camera division, so now let's summarize our views :

The MFT loyalists and defenders eg sadwitch, Pitachu, swifty, by-blu : Trully believe that MFT has the best combination of any system and Olympus MFT future is bright.

The realist eg Ricohflex, SNAG, castortroy, tommyk : MFT is doomed, sonner or later and Olympus camera division is doom as well

(Please correct me if I wrongly summarize your views)

Both sides have good arguments to support their outlook although the loyalist's arguments are generally more emotion based.
The realists are generally experienced camera users and based their outlook on financial numbers and the competitive market factors.

Let's see what happens in 3, 5 and 10 years ahead.

I really like how you pigeon hole people and yourself as if we're stuck in a fixed mindset....

Call it whatever you like, you're entitled to in this space

If it's a sale so be it. Who knows it may revitalise the system or just move on... Why worry?

Does the mirror still work after all company's move into mirrorless? Of course... unless your photography skills are tied to the rise and fall of the manufacturing company.

If you think it's an emotional thing that I'm confident in using MFT to produce even exhibition size commercial work for a manufacturing company with more than 100 years of history, so be it.

Dreamers gotta dream right? :p

My apologies if my attempt to segment into 2 distinct groups was seen as pigeon-hole-ing.
And maybe the groupings had sacrificed some accuracy.

But can Olympus really really survive?

*From DPReview, Panasonic's Director just said
'If we stay united I think we will survive'

He was very frank and honest. Most of us like to hear things based on reality.

We do not create our own alternative reality, at least not on this side of the causeway.

Old, tired, less precise now, missed some key words, and the correct statement should sound more like

"We do not create our own reality to fit our purpose, at least not on this side of the causeway. "

Old, tired, less precise now, missed some key words, and the correct statement should sound more like

"We do not create our own reality to fit our purpose, at least not on this side of the causeway. "

Well if you say so. How can you create reality without dreams?

wrong choice of words

It should be : "We do not ignore reality to fit our purpose, at least not on this side of the causeway. "

For sure, dreamers can still dream and work towards creating a different reality

wrong choice of words

It should be : "We do not ignore reality to fit our purpose, at least not on this side of the causeway. "

For sure, dreamers can still dream and work towards creating a different reality

Totally off topic but you heard of Lewis Capaldi? Try looking him up... Nice chap who doesn't take himself too seriously....

We are giving opinions. We see any issue though our own individual personal "lens" based on our own bias and beliefs and interpret accordingly.
Not surprisingly, we think our opinion is justified.

Our views do not matter in the fate of Olympus Camera Imaging Division.

Reality bites.

In a monetary sense, Olympus Camera Imaging Division, if it was a stand alone business entity, has been bankrupt for several years already.

The bigger corporate Olympus parent company has so far decided to keep it alive as a money losing hobby.

In 2019, its world wide market share was 2.8%.

In 2020, it has to contend with the likes of Nikon Z series, Canon R series, Leica CL & SL2, Sony A6600, A7RIV, A9 Mk2, maybe A7S III, Fuji X-T4 and X-H2.
It is not looking good for Olympus Camera Imaging Division.

Market share may be worse in 2020.

The question to ask is why the same old sensor and where is the real innovation?

Perhaps it has hit the "wall" of the limits of what a MFT size sensor can do --- and no more can be squeezed out of it.

Digital cameras compared to the more than 100 years history of film cameras, is still in its infancy. Just barely started.
Which means great things are yet to come. That means affordable digital medium format - in future.
And you do not need to spend a fortune in buying film and development & processing fees for medium format.
And no need for giant enlargers.

Convincing current and future consumers that MFT size (17.3mm x 13mm) sensor is all that you really need, is like some one in the past telling consumers that 110 film format (17mm x 13mm) is "good enough". No need to improve to something better.

Last edited:
I've purchased and used enough camera models to be able to opine on expected failures.
The following cameras I expected to fail:
Pentax Q
Pentax K01
Nikon 1 system
Fuji X30 - oversized body for a small sensor, sound familiar? Nice camera, but the nascent competitor was the Sony RX100.
Olympus EM1x
Olympus EM1m3
Nikon D780
Just in case you think I'm biased against Olympus.
I think Pentax might survive long-term against all odds.

Remember the Sony F828?
Stellar optics.
Let down by its small sensor.
History has a nasty habit of repeating itself....

Convincing current and future consumers that MFT size (17.3mm x 13mm) sensor is all that you really need, is like some one in the past telling consumers that 110 film format (17mm x 13mm) is "good enough". No need to improve to something better.

If size is the most important factor, then why is 35mm film more popular than medium or large format film?
And why is Full Frame SLR more popular than Medium Format Digital Backs.
After all, larger film format and digital backs do give better image quality and resolution.

The answer is obvious. Photographers look at camera systems as a whole system rather than size of film or sensor alone.
These are some of the questions that come to mind when selecting a camera system
1) Are there lenses available for me to fit onto my camera body for my types of photoshoots or activities?
2) Does the camera have those features I need for my shoot? (resolution may be one of them)
3) Is the whole system light enough to be carried around for my trip?
4) Is the whole system within my budget?

Every format has its pro and cons. Some photographers are fortunate enough to own multiple systems.
From the consumers point of view, it is best to have various different formats to choose from.

Despite all the arguments here between Full Frame and M43, I wouldn't use either one for my mountain biking
and white water rafting. Yes, I have a GoPro3 and a GoPro 7. For all those who is of the view that M43 will be written-off
and Full Frame will prevail as it is more popular and have better image quality, it is the same as saying that
Sport Cameras like GoPro should also be written off and I should bring a Full Frame Camera and mount it on
my mountain bike! I know this is a ridiculous comparison, but I am trying to make a point that every format
has its purpose and idea areas of usage.

Whether Olympus, M43, GoPRo will survive is a financial decision for stakeholders which I will not try to predict.

I will just use the gear I find best that meet my activity and enjoy them while they are still
available :)

Already seen the video titled " Olympus O-MD E-M1 Mark III vs Sony A73: Why MFT in a Full Frame World? "
by Vistek | Your Visual Imaging Experts.
It did sound like a paid advertisement to make E-M1 Mark III look somehow acceptable. Which was pathetic.

There are some problems in the video.
In Feb 2020, the author purposely chose to compare E-M1 Mark III (Olympus latest body) with an old Sony A7 Mark III from years ago.
He dared not compare with the latest Sony A7R Mark IV.

This is the most glaring snake oil con job aspect about this video.

In 4min 54 sec of the video he described E-M1 Mark III handheld high res mode giving 50MP.
In 4min 58 sec of the video he described E-M1 Mark III tripod high res mode giving 80MP.

But dare not tell viewers that Sony A7R Mark IV has 61MP in normal shooting mode.
The video dare not tell viewers that in Sony A7R Mark IV tripod high res mode, it gives 240MP.

Please note that in all such high res modes, the subject must be stationary. If the subject moves, it fails.

In 7min 33 sec, the video showed the Olympus O-MD E-M1 Mark III next to old Sony A7 Mark III.
And not much difference in size.
Yet the full frame old Sony has a sensor that is 3.8 times bigger.

Already seen the video titled " Olympus O-MD E-M1 Mark III vs Sony A73: Why MFT in a Full Frame World? "
by Vistek | Your Visual Imaging Experts.
It did sound like a paid advertisement to make E-M1 Mark III look somehow acceptable. Which was pathetic.

There are some problems in the video.
In Feb 2020, the author purposely chose to compare E-M1 Mark III (Olympus latest body) with an old Sony A7 Mark III from years ago.
He dared not compare with the latest Sony A7R Mark IV.
On B&H website,
The Olympus EM1.3 is US$1799
The Sony A7iv is US$3498
The Sony A7iii is US$2498
The Sony A7ii is US$1498

It is not realistic to compare it with the A7 iv as the price is almost double.
In fact, it is not even fair to compare the EM1.3 with the A7iii (which is about $700 more expensive.

If you do not factor in the cost, it is no wonder that you always feel that Full Frame cameras are better.

Also, the author of the video did state the types of photography where Sony is better and those
which the Olympus is better :)