Olympus Stylus XZ-10 - A User's Review

Simon

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP
simon.clubsnap.org
[h=2]Created For Your Photographic Pleasure.
Premium Compact STYLUS XZ-10.[/h]Compact and stylish, the STYLUS XZ-10 boasts advanced expressive power thanks to special features such as Art Filters that transform everyday life into Art and a Photo Story function that captures an event as it moves through time in a single picture. Equipped with an i.ZUIKO DIGITAL lens, renowned for brightness and imaging performance, and incorporating Olympus-original iHS technology, the STYLUS XZ-10 delivers the kind of high image quality you would expect from a top-of-the-line camera. Photos can be transferred quickly to your smartphone, making communications through SNS easier than ever.
[h=3]Various functions[/h]
  • Full High Definition Movies
    The XZ-10 can record a full-HD movie at 1980 x 1080 pixels. Features like multimotion-compatible image stabilization, Art Filters and scene modes are applicable to movies, making it easy to produce slick, pro-style videos.
  • Advanced Image Stabilization
    A sensor-shift type image stabilizaiton mechanism eliminates the effect of camera shake on still photos. During movie shooting, a newly developed image stabilization algorithm compensates for large camera vibrations at low frequencies such as those produced by walking or breathing.
  • Live Control
    You can see how various settings will affect the image on the rear-panel LCD, so you can get the picture exactly right before you shoot it.
  • Multi-Aspec
    Four aspect ratios - including 4:3, 3:2, 16:9 and 6:6 are available. Just select the one that best suits your subject or theme.
More Information: STYLUS XZ-10 | X series | Compact Digital Cameras | Olympus Imaging Singapore

X-10-front.jpg

X-10-back.jpg

X-10-top.jpg

Specifications

No. of effective mega pixels:
12M
Removable memory: SD Memory Card(SDHC, SDXC, * UHS-I compatible), Eye-Fi * UHS-I: Available for 104MB/s
Internal memory (for shooting): 39MB
Recording image size (pixels): MAX. 3968x2976 MIN. 640x480
Lens focal length (35mm camera equivalent): 4.7mm to 23.5mm(26mm to 130mm)
Optical zoom: 5x
Super Resolution Zoom (x2): Yes
iHS: Yes
Focus range:
- Normal: W: 10cm-∞, T: 30cm-∞
- Macro: -
- Super macro: 1cm to 60cm, Wide-angle edge fixing
LCD monitor Type: 3.0-inch monitor*8
- *8: Approx. 920k dots, Touch control in resistance film Type
- Size (inch): 3.0 Inch
- No. of pixels (approx.): 920,000
- Touch panel: Yes
Maximum ISO sensitivity: 6400
Art Filter: POP ART, SOFT FOCUS, PALE & LIGHT, LIGHT TONE, GRAINY FILM, PIN HOLE, DIORAMA, CROSS PROCESS, GENTLE SEPIA, DRAMATIC TONE, KEY LINE
Art Effect: SOFT FOCUS, PIN-HOLE, WHITE EDGE, FRAME, STAR LIGHT
Body in panorama: Yes
Photo Story: Standard (Type I, II, III, IV) / Speed (2Pics, 4Pics, 5Pics) / Zoom In/Out (Type I, II) / Fun Frame (Instant, Film, Square)
Image stabilizer: Imager shift
AF mode: Single AF (S-AF) / SuperMacro Mode
Face Detection (Faces may not be detected correctly in some cases): Yes
Pet Detection: Yes
Shadow Adjustment Technology: Yes
Movie recording with sound: MOV(MPEG-4AVC/H.264)
Movie recording size (pixels):
- Full HD: 1920x1080
- HD: 1280x720
- HS120: 1280x720, 120fps
- HS240: 432x324, 40fps
Battery LI-ion rechargeable battery (model): LI-50B
AA battery (no.of batteries): -
HDMI (type): Yes(Type D) * Connection cable is optional.
Dimensions(mm) (CIPA guideline compliant): 102.4x61.1mmx34.3mm
Weight (g) (Including batteries/card) (CIPA guideline compliant): 221g

* Specifications and design are subject to change without notice.
* The photo is for illustrative purposes only.
* Product availability depends on sales areas.
* Color availability depends on sales areas.
* "HDMI", the HDMI logo and "High-Definition Multimedia Interface" are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing, LLC.
* Eye-Fi, the Eye-Fi logo and Eye-Fi connected are trademarks of Eye-Fi, Inc.

My very first impression of XZ-10, it's small and compact, this is the size I can carry in my pocket.

P1000269.JPG

Automatic Lens cap, No more worries about losing lens cap. YES, NO MORE LENS CAP!

P10002701.JPG

Basic-Shoot-Operations.jpg

Beautiful day today, was out with family and took the chance to test the Olympus XZ-10.

P3150010.jpg

P3160005.jpg

P3160030.jpg

Art Mode

Pop Art
P3170047.jpg

Pale & Light Color
P3170050.jpg

Light Tone
P3170049.jpg

Grainy Flim
P3170051.jpg

Pin Hole
P3170052.jpg

The XZ-10's lens starts at a bright f/1.8 26mm and zooms into f/2.7 130mm, with a 5X zoom that's hard to beat in this class of camera. By comparison, its bigger brother, the XZ-2 has a 4X f/1.8-2.5 28-112mm lens, so it's not as wide or as long.

The XZ-2's advantage is its 1/1.7-inch 12-megapixel backside-illuminated (BSI) CMOS sensor, which is larger than 1/2.3-inch 12-megapixel BSI CMOS sensor in the XZ-10. The XZ-2's larger sensor should get you better photo quality, but unless there is a need to develop BIG prints, I'm not so sure if you could view any quality difference.

There are other differences in the XZ-2 and XZ-10. The XZ-10's screen doesn't tilt, there's also no accessory port, so you can't add a flash or electronic viewfinder the way you can with the XZ-2 etc.

But without all the above mention, now you have a pocket friendly XZ-10 that is 40 per cent smaller than the XZ-2. I think this makes it a more appealing camera for those looking for something small and light to use every day.

There's no built-in WiFi, but I’ve tested the Toshiba FlashAir card with Olympus Image Share on my iPhone 5. Configuration is simple and easy to use with the Olympus Image Share software.

Using a WiFi card do drain the battery.

Toshiba FlashAir with Olympus Image Share

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_25981.jpg

IMG_25991.jpg

All the below is taken at Tele 5 X Zoom

f/2.8 1/2000 ISO-100
P3180004-F2_8.JPG

100% Crop
P3180004-F2_8-A.jpg

f/4 1/1600 ISO-100
P3180003-F4.JPG

100% Crop
P3180003-F4-A.jpg

Nice examples Simon, I grabbed one early too for a few reasons, and not having a lens cap is a major plus, but I grabbed a white one because it isn't black.
Your examples back up what my thoughts have been about the aperture, preferring to close it a bit, f4 works well enough and I may reserve the fast setting for low light or a rare occasion when a bit of blurring is desired.
It's nice to have this quality that fits in the pocket and also uses the same batteries as a few other of my cameras, happily I'm starting to bond with this camera.