Olympus Stylus 1 - A hands on review

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
I was just handed the Olympus Stylus 1 camera by Olympus Imaging Singapore a week ago

A built in f2.8 zoom that goes from 28mm thru a whopping 300mm (full frame equiv), its a good deal smaller and lighter than the recently released M4/3 EM1

The Stylus 1 comes equipped with a 1/1.7" CMOS Sensor. It a toned down smaller sensor version of a m4/3 camera system but with a good number of functions ensuring full adjustability and customization. However dont be mistaken, this little beast packs quite a bit of wallop

I love the Ricoh-like lens cover thats built in

From Olympus' website:

f2.8 28-300mm* i.ZUIKO DIGITAL lens

The new i.ZUIKO DIGITAL lens developed for the STYLUS 1 boasts bright constant aperture f2.8. This bright lens enables shooting at fast shutter speeds, thereby reducing camera shake and subject blurring that tends to occur in dim scenes and telephoto shooting. This lens also makes beautiful background defocusing possible for three-dimensional images, and helps to reduce noise when shooting at lower ISO speeds.

The large, high-resolution EVF that helps to enhance concentration

It is important for the camera to have a viewfinder so that you can devote yourself to shooting while keeping an eye on the subject. The STYLUS 1 is equipped with a large, high-resolution built-in EVF. The EVF is different from optical viewfinders found on DSLR cameras in that it can assist when shooting in dark locations. It clearly projects the subject even under midsummer sun for a comfortable shooting.

DSLR style and refined control system

The body design is specifically created to accommodate comfortable viewfinder shooting. The STYLUS 1 is the result of pursuing the shooting style of DSLR users rather than thinking of it as a compact camera. The highly-functional grip lets you firmly hold the camera for long periods of time without putting strain on your fingers. The ever-popular Hybrid Control Ring is also included in response to demands from professional photographers.

Convenient basic functions

The STYLUS 1 is packed with convenient features for shooting, such as Full HD movies, High-Speed Movie, and various other movie and shooting functions.

[video=youtube_share;r1BLrT4BgJ0]http://youtu.be/r1BLrT4BgJ0[/video]

Last edited:
Last weekend I brought it for a jaunt to Jakarta for a quick spin at the harbor area of Sunda Kelapa and a couple of other places.

I forgot to bring the charger .... real dumb of me. And the battery was at about 95% having been charged fully a few days prior to the trip.

Well, I took this as an unintended test of battery life for the Stylus 1

By the time I ran flat out of battery juice, the camera did the following:
1. 21 video clips totalling about 17 minutes of video
2. 286 still images at max resolution in JPEG
3. a good 45mins if fiddling time by various other photographers who played with it
4. the usual review and chimping of shot images
5. freezing air-conditioning in my hotel room for an entire night at 17deg C

Comment: To save battery life, I used the EVF as much as I could while shooting

I'll say this is pretty darned decent for one single charge of the battery

Sunda Kelapa is a port area where wooden schooners from all over Indonesia dock to unload merchandise brought in from all over Indonesia's hinterland islands. Its also a place where , after unloading, the schooners are loaded with modern essentials like building materials, modern day products and other manufactured supplies from the modern world .

at 300mm
a_sunda_kelapa.jpg

at 28mm
a_walking_plank.jpg

at300mm
a_truckful_of_munchies.jpg

at28mm
a_truck_driver.jpg

Last edited:
When not in use, I was able to stuff the camera into the pocket of my cargo shorts without much problem. But if you're wearing tight jeans, then sorry, its going to be a very very tight fit

Stylus 1 shooting experience video
[video=youtube_share;XKiH8bDke_g]http://youtu.be/XKiH8bDke_g[/video]

Last edited:
front of camera
front.jpg
back of camera
back.jpg
top of camera
top.jpg

Ok see the 'delete" (rubbish bin) sign on the back of the camera ? Guess which is the actual Delete button ...!! This is silly

Delete button is the south button

Last edited:
a_rotting_wood.jpg

a_steel_bars.jpg

a_relax.jpg

cropped of above , yes some fringing in harshest conditions like this ... but not fatal for me. Everyone has different levels of acceptances and tolerance so its up to you
a_crop.jpg

Last edited:
at 300mm long end of the zoom.... I was impressed coming out of a super zoom camera
a_paddle_boat_across.jpg

shot at close to 300mm focal length, some bokeh but hey its coming out of a small 1/1.7" CMOS Sensor .... given the price point , the lens performed very admirably with decent resolution especially at the long end of the zoom
a_cement_bags.jpg

Last edited:
a_boatman_paddling.jpg

Depth of Field is of course fabulously deep with a 1/1.7" CMOS Sensor

a_boatman.jpg

the 300mm long end of the lens can really reach into a scene some distance away. I could not get very near these gentlemen doing maintenance work on a schooner but the long tele end of the lens, helped heaps in getting into the meat of the scene
a_boat_repair_2.jpg

a_boat_repair.jpg

Last edited:
alot more images to follow on Wed.... its 2am and I have to get to bed lolzzz!!

goodnight all !

Thanks for the review!
I guess you are excited about it till you forgotten you need rest? Ahhas

other features that made the Stylus 1 a snappy camera to use

1. 2 locations for zooming (one next to shutter release, one next to lens)
2 customizable big dial next to shutter release
3. 2 customizable Function buttons behind and next to lens

a_loading_cement.jpg

a_ladies_at_sunda.jpg

At Batavia Cafe later

This was at 28mm, Shinta D our host and guide in Jakarta from Fotografer.net
ISO 2000
a_batavia_cafe_shinta_wide.jpg

This is NOT a crop of above but its within that image..... its a 2nd shot zoom all the way out at 300mm .... use the image above to have an idea of the perspective between 28mm and 300mm
ISO 2000
a_batavia_cafe_shinta_long_tele_end.jpg

Last edited:
at 28mm ISO 2000
a_batavia_flower_wide_end.jpg

same flower arrangement but zoomed in at 300mm ISO 500
a_batavia_flower_long_end.jpg

Last edited:
No 5 axis stabilization

It uses a lens shift image stabilization