Olympus SP-560 with external flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kintarosaint

Nov 28, 2007
Hi all,

features_h1_img.jpg

My current SP-560 camera does not have a hotshoe and the only flash I have is the built in flash.

Some of the shots i find difficult are
1) Indoors with low lighting (the built in flash fires directly on the target, which either made the background dark or the object too bright)
2) Indoors faraway shots (e.g I want to take a shot at a indoor stage from the distance, but with the built in flash, the picture appear dark as the flash is unable to travel to such distances)

I know that a higher ISO will reduce the problem but I will be having a more grainy picture.

I happened to come across the Sunblitz BK400 at http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155325&highlight=bk400
BK400.jpg

Some questions for the professionals & experts out there.
1) Will the Slave bracket + flash solve my problem above?
2) Will the bracket detect other flash (other than my camera) & misfire?
3) Since there is no connection between the flash and the camera, what other problems will happen? (e.g picture over/under exposed)

Thanks
Kintaro

Hi all,

features_h1_img.jpg

My current SP-560 camera does not have a hotshoe and the only flash I have is the built in flash.

Some of the shots i find difficult are
1) Indoors with low lighting (the built in flash fires directly on the target, which either made the background dark or the object too bright)
2) Indoors faraway shots (e.g I want to take a shot at a indoor stage from the distance, but with the built in flash, the picture appear dark as the flash is unable to travel to such distances)

I know that a higher ISO will reduce the problem but I will be having a more grainy picture.

I happened to come across the Sunblitz BK400 at http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155325&highlight=bk400
BK400.jpg

Some questions for the professionals & experts out there.
3) Since there is no connection between the flash and the camera, what other problems will happen? (e.g picture over/under exposed)

Thanks
Kintaro

Hi Bro,

I have the same cam as you. I use a slave flash sustem from SunBlitz that cost about $80 with the flash bracket included.

I use this model:
Ai829%20Twin%20Flash.JPG

Not entirely. Depends on the guide number of the flash and what type of pictures you want to take from the stage. Normally flash not allowed for indoor performances.

Use it with a slave flash, like the SUNBLITZ Digital Ai829 Twin Flash. My slave flash has neverr misfired.

Ah, here is the part you need to take note of. Slave flash not magic flash, you still need to know how to use it correctly.

Hi there,

Typically what is the distance you have tried the flash with? So far my indoor shoots allowed flash (e.g Cosfest @ downtown east, Sony booth @ IT show) and my flash just couldn't reach the object.

I was thinking of other photographers standing beside me using flash and that flash might trigger mine. Hmm, I wonder how the bracket able to differenciate. :dunno:

So far I am still not comfortable using Aperture/Shutter piority and Manual mode:sweat:. I guess I need to practise in these areas to get good shots. Any suggestions on the approach?

Many thanks!
Kintaro

A bit hard to explain as I also am a rusty photog. I normally take inhouse for family so the output is not far. To get farther, you need a flash that has a bigger guide number but our prosumers are not SLRs/DSLRs so the reach is not so far. Lenses also play a part and this is where the DSLRs/SLRs win hands down. The following may help in understanding what you need to know about flash.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-metering.htm
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/using-flash-in-action-photography/
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/13-great-slow-sync-flash-images/
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/slow-sync-flash/

Cheers . . .

More info:

What is Slow Sync Flash?

Image by Voxphoto

Slow Sync Flash is a function found on many cameras that tells your camera to shoot with both a longer shutter speed as well as firing the flash. This means you get the best of both worlds above and can both get a relatively sharp shot of your main subject as well as get some ambient light from the background and foreground.

Some cameras allow you to access slow sync flash manually and set exposure length and flash strength but on many compact cameras there is a little less control given and it’s presented as an automatic shooting mode, often called ‘night mode’ or even ‘party mode’ where the camera selects the slower shutter speed and flash strength for you.

Hi,

Thanks for the great info! Learned quite a lot ;)

So far didn't get any reviews on your Ai829 after searching in the forum and the internet.

Hmm, i believe the sensor is on the flash itself and will most probably misfire should there be any other photographers shooting. Need to test it out. Btw, where did you get your flash?

Thanks
Kintaro

Hi,

Thanks for the great info! Learned quite a lot ;)

So far didn't get any reviews on your Ai829 after searching in the forum and the internet.

Hmm, i believe the sensor is on the flash itself and will most probably misfire should there be any other photographers shooting. Need to test it out. Btw, where did you get your flash?

Thanks
Kintaro

Got it from TCW in Peninsula Shopping Centre 1st level. Look for Daniel. Open from 12-7 every day except Sunday

thte bracket included is the BK-200 without the IR sensor. works wonders.

Hi,

Thanks! I will go check it out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.