Olympus SP-500 UZ? opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elphin

Oct 30, 2005
Hi all,

First post in this forum :cool:

Been thinking of getting a Panasonic DMC-Fz5. But when shopping for it recently at Funan/Peninsula/Simlim I was recommended the Olympus SP-500 camera by two different shops as a good alternative.

From the specs seems comparable to the Fz5 except that it's 6 MP, has manual focus and is slightly bigger in size.

Price wise also looks about the same (600-700+)except that the freebie deals aren't as good as the fz5 coz it's just released.

Also coz it's new I can't seem to find many reviews/feedback on it.

Just wondering if anybody have any experience with or know anything about the Olympus camera. Or have any opinions at all on this camera? :)

SP-500 uses AA batteries if that is your preference. SP-500 also has a RAW option. FZ-5 has a slightly longer reach (12x optical) and O.I.S.

Both costs around $700 with free 256MB at AP.

I prefer SP -350 for the following reasons

1. Presence of viewfinder (esp on days that are too bright)
2. 2.5 inch large LCD
3. Handy and light (size is very petite, esp lady user)
4. Fast shutter response (one of the faster - definitely faster than Mju 800 or even the c5060)
5. RAW available
6. 8 Megapixels
7. Supprts external flash, eg, FL20 (?), FL-36 and FL-50
8. Able 500 shots for one charge of battery
9. Very reasonable price around $650++

Here is the link
http://olympus-imaging.jp/lineup/digicamera/sp350/

Today I went to see the SP-500 UZ, I'm quite interested in this model too as it fits my budget and it (should) provide the Olympus colour that I seek after. I saw that on the lens area it's written as 'Olympus ED Lens'. The word ED caught my attention as the other SP-350 I saw at the same time, written only 'Olympus Lens' on it, no ED. Does this means the SP-500 is using the better lens, ie the ED range that their SLR are using? :p

audiobean said:
Today I went to see the SP-500 UZ, I'm quite interested in this model too as it fits my budget and it (should) provide the Olympus colour that I seek after. I saw that on the lens area it's written as 'Olympus ED Lens'. The word ED caught my attention as the other SP-350 I saw at the same time, written only 'Olympus Lens' on it, no ED. Does this means the SP-500 is using the better lens, ie the ED range that their SLR are using? :p

ED lens minimise CA, and CA occurs more on telephoto lens or super wides. Thus a 3x optical standard zoom SP-350 does not really require ED lens.

ohh, didn't know that. thanks for the tip, bean!

was actually considering the SP-350, thinking that I could get a 8 Megapixels for cheaper and buy a seperate zoom lens for it. but from what you've indicated, am i right to say that I will actually get a lousier quality image(CA et al) from this config?

Main intention was to get a digi cam that I can grow with and last for some time, not just a simple p&s. although with a max budget of $900 unfortunately :(

elphin said:
ohh, didn't know that. thanks for the tip, bean!

was actually considering the SP-350, thinking that I could get a 8 Megapixels for cheaper and buy a seperate zoom lens for it. but from what you've indicated, am i right to say that I will actually get a lousier quality image(CA et al) from this config?

Main intention was to get a digi cam that I can grow with and last for some time, not just a simple p&s. although with a max budget of $900 unfortunately :(

for a budget of $900, you should seriously consider the C7070WZ. :)

The biggest problem is the xD price. 8 Meg require high capacity xD which is
so much more expensive compared to SD and CF. I filled up 2GB of HQ jpg in a recent
trip with the E-300 8 megapixel easily.

Other than that, Oly remain the choice of my heart too.

P.S: I really don't understand the need and any advantage of xD. (Only Oly & Fuji uses it)

serene said:
I prefer SP -350 for the following reasons

1. Presence of viewfinder (esp on days that are too bright)
2. 2.5 inch large LCD
3. Handy and light (size is very petite, esp lady user)
4. Fast shutter response (one of the faster - definitely faster than Mju 800 or even the c5060)
5. RAW available
6. 8 Megapixels
7. Supprts external flash, eg, FL20 (?), FL-36 and FL-50
8. Able 500 shots for one charge of battery
9. Very reasonable price around $650++

Here is the link
http://olympus-imaging.jp/lineup/digicamera/sp350/

thanks for the replies from everyone.

tao said:
for a budget of $900, you should seriously consider the C7070WZ. :)
hmmm c7070 looks like a good camera but unfortunately 900 is the absolute max on my budget.
most shops either don't have it anymore or aren't sellin it for that price :p

been doing some research on the sp350 and most reviews/comments on it seem to make it sound like a really average camera :( especially on the image quality front, which is quite disappointing given that it is 8 mp(and it's oly).

still waiting for more stuff to be written on the SP500 UZ, no one seems to have bought it or reviewed it yet :(

Just found some photos from pbase taken by SP-500 UZ, they've just being uploaded I guess as even yesterday I didn't see them. Enjoy. :) (I'm posting immediately here even before reviewing those pictures... any of experts here do comment on the quality)

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/olympus/sp_500_uz

hey,i am selling my c-7070 with my wide angle/full box..and my old c-3000 too!!selling bcoz in need of cash!!

so anyone bought the SP500 yet? how how?;)
what is the lowest price so far in sinagpore?

i got it from Ap @ 682 after GST with all the associated freebies advertised

Status
Not open for further replies.