Olympus PEN-EE

Status
Not open for further replies.

LENS

Apr 8, 2005
Hello guys,

Anyone using this camera? there are few version of this camera, which you think is best?
It seems kinda difficult to get this camera nowaday.

By the way, i am thinking of getting one, but any generic problem of this camera? such as the light meter around the lense, can it still be fixed?because it seems like not other camera using that kind of light meter.

Hope users out there share with your experience for this half-frame camera.

Thank you.

LENS said:
Hello guys,

Anyone using this camera? there are few version of this camera, which you think is best?

By the way, i am thinking of getting one, but any generic problem of this camera? such as the light meter around the lense, can it still be fixed?because it seems like not other camera using that kind of light meter.

Thank you.

It's my first camera in secondary school era. There are a few series inside the Pen-EE category. If possible, try their D series. It is their highest end, very bright lens. That light meter is solar cell type, state of the arts at 1962. There are a lot of good 2nd hand stuffs in both Japan and Germany.

Hihi,

Im a uer of the Pen-EE3 camera. Got it from sungei road for only 60 bucks, better condition than the one at TCW. had it checked and serviced for $25.

Its quite hardy and the feel is great. though being old, the lens is still able to capture pretty good image quality.:thumbsup: i dun have a scanner so cant scan pics from it onto the site. One thing would be developing it in shops can be quite costly.:thumbsd:

I normally use it for bright sunny day shoots and I never bother about the light meter. Just snap n snap! :bsmilie:

LENS said:
Hello guys,

Thank you.

The camera's old school and whenever I take it out on shoots with my Rolleiflex, I do tend to get people coming up to me and checking out the cameras!

rionie said:
It's my first camera in secondary school era. There are a few series inside the Pen-EE category. If possible, try their D series. It is their highest end, very bright lens. That light meter is solar cell type, state of the arts at 1962. There are a lot of good 2nd hand stuffs in both Japan and Germany.

i know there is EE, EE2, EE3.. what is that D series? hope u enlighten me =)

ernie_ng81 said:
Hihi,

Im a uer of the Pen-EE3 camera. Got it from sungei road for only 60 bucks, better condition than the one at TCW. had it checked and serviced for $25.

Its quite hardy and the feel is great. though being old, the lens is still able to capture pretty good image quality.:thumbsup: i dun have a scanner so cant scan pics from it onto the site. One thing would be developing it in shops can be quite costly.:thumbsd:

I normally use it for bright sunny day shoots and I never bother about the light meter. Just snap n snap! :bsmilie:

ha, u got it with a reasonable price. Since that meter is so different..solar cell, issit lasting? it is tough to get a 2nd one with working meter?

Anyone got one for sale?ha.

LENS said:
i know there is EE, EE2, EE3.. what is that D series? hope u enlighten me =)

If I exclude the SLR type PEN (i.e. Pen F), there are three breeds of PEN in Olympus history. They are as below :

Original Pen series - Pen (1959); Pen S2.8 (1960); Pen W (1964); Pen S3.5 (1965)

Pen EE series - Pen EE (1961); Pen EEs (1962); Pen EM (1965); Pen EED (1967); Pen EE2 & Pen EES2 (1968); Pen EE3 (1973); Pen EF (1981)

Pen D series - Pen D (1962); Pen D2 (1964); Pen D3 (1965)

The product planning background of Pen D series is for high end photography purpose. That's why I recommend you to try it. D series is famous for its bright lens, e.g. Pen D3 is using a 32mm F1.7 lens. D3's Shutter speed can be up to 1/500 sec. Its cds metering sensor works from EV3-EV17. Please don't compare it with those rather auto functions in Pen EE series. EE series got the longest lifespan so their later models enjoy some later technology. The reason why D series was sentenced to death is because it is against the orignal development policy of Pen product (i.e. value for money and yet highly automated).

Most people are more familiar with EE series. They forgot there had been a short life hero in the Pen series.

:thumbsup: You really know your stuff huh? :bsmilie:

rionie said:
If I exclude the SLR type PEN (i.e. Pen F), there are three breeds of PEN in Olympus history. They are as below :

Original Pen series - Pen (1959); Pen S2.8 (1960); Pen W (1964); Pen S3.5 (1965)

Pen EE series - Pen EE (1961); Pen EEs (1962); Pen EM (1965); Pen EED (1967); Pen EE2 & Pen EES2 (1968); Pen EE3 (1973); Pen EF (1981)

The product planning background of Pen D series is for high end photography purpose. That's why I recommend you to try it. D series is famous for its bright lens, e.g. Pen D3 is using a 32mm F1.7 lens. D3's Shutter speed can be up to 1/500 sec. Its cds metering sensor works from EV3-EV17. Please don't compare it with those rather auto functions in Pen EE series. EE series got the longest lifespan so their later models enjoy some later technology. The reason why D series was sentenced to death is because it is against the orignal development policy of Pen product (i.e. value for money and yet highly automated).

Most people are more familiar with EE series. They forgot there had been a short life hero in the Pen series.

i got an EE-2 for $5 from cash converters about a year ago. view finder was a little dirty, but it cleaned up pretty well. replaced the light seals, and did a bit of CLA. this little gem is a real trooper. a 36 shot roll of film seems to last forever (72 pictures)

patch17 said:
i got an EE-2 for $5 from cash converters about a year ago. view finder was a little dirty, but it cleaned up pretty well. replaced the light seals, and did a bit of CLA. this little gem is a real trooper. a 36 shot roll of film seems to last forever (72 pictures)

Good deal ah?
how is the quality of half frame pic?

rionie said:

This D series is also half frame cam? i seem like never come across this D series when searching at internet. Good information!

For mine, quality is still alright for such an old cam. Not the best though, imagine its from ancient years! hahaha... Well, at least im comparing it to the quality from my Rolleiflex

Status
Not open for further replies.