olympus orf files

Status
Not open for further replies.

normanlai

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Hello, i currently have an olympus 5050z digicam. I have noticed 1 rather irritating factor about the orf raw format. It seems that i have to plug in the camera, else the orf format will not be recognised.

what i really want to be able to do is to get a multi card reader, like usb2.0 or perhaps firewire for the speed, and be able to dl my pictures real fast. this seems to be tough if this camera must be plugged in to dl the .orf files.

Another big problem is when i send pictures in raw to my friends. Does that mean that they cannot open the pictures? i must go through the tedious process of converting each file to jpeg or tiff before sending it over? that is not good. can't possibly lend them the camera.

Anyone has suggestions? i tried to search for ORF driver, but to no avail. only the driver to recognise the camera can be found for win98.

i'm on win2k, no problems with detection.

incase this is important, i use photoshop mainly. with ACR plug-in (supposed to support orf).

thanks.

normanlai said:
Hello, i currently have an olympus 5050z digicam. I have noticed 1 rather irritating factor about the orf raw format. It seems that i have to plug in the camera, else the orf format will not be recognised.

what i really want to be able to do is to get a multi card reader, like usb2.0 or perhaps firewire for the speed, and be able to dl my pictures real fast. this seems to be tough if this camera must be plugged in to dl the .orf files.
Ya I also realise the Olympus RAW format is not as friendly and flexible than Canon RAW. They need to improve the RAW format.

Another big problem is when i send pictures in raw to my friends. Does that mean that they cannot open the pictures? i must go through the tedious process of converting each file to jpeg or tiff before sending it over? that is not good. can't possibly lend them the camera.
Your friend need to have the RAW converter in order to convert the RAW to jpg in order to see the images. I would recommend you to take your shots in jpg format.

Anyone has suggestions? i tried to search for ORF driver, but to no avail. only the driver to recognise the camera can be found for win98.

i'm on win2k, no problems with detection.

incase this is important, i use photoshop mainly. with ACR plug-in (supposed to support orf).

thanks.
You can download the RAW File Import Plug-in for Photoshop

or use other RAW program like SharpRaw

Hope the info is useful to you :)

megaweb said:
Your friend need to have the RAW converter in order to convert the RAW to jpg in order to see the images. I would recommend you to take your shots in jpg format.

You can download the RAW File Import Plug-in for Photoshop

or use other RAW program like SharpRaw

Hope the info is useful to you :)

hello, so in simpler words, all i need to do is get my friends to dl that raw import plugin and they can read the raw files and edit in ACR similarly like me, and don't have the care about the camera?

normanlai said:
hello, so in simpler words, all i need to do is get my friends to dl that raw import plugin and they can read the raw files and edit in ACR similarly like me, and don't have the care about the camera?
If you die die want to send RAW files to ur friend, yes they need to d/l the plugin in order to see the images. I would recommend you to process ur RAW files to visible format (jpg format) and then send it to your friends.

megaweb said:
If you die die want to send RAW files to ur friend, yes they need to d/l the plugin in order to see the images. I would recommend you to process ur RAW files to visible format (jpg format) and then send it to your friends.

hello! well firstly, we have different preferences for WB and exposure and stuff. so shooting in RAW allows us the flexibility to shoot first, and tune to our hearts delights later.

thanks for the trouble megaweb. i'll look into the sharpraw thing. seems that it gives me more sliders than ACR. kinda like sliders as they are easier to play with than numerical values in PS. but i'm not sure if the colours come out as gd as ACR though.

thanks again.

1 question though. Y Adobe Camera Raw cannot read the Orf files? thought it can? so by dl the importer, can still use the ACR to edit?

Status
Not open for further replies.