Olympus or Sony R1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesclee

Mar 22, 2005
Jurong
The Olympus E330 (with kit-lense) and the Sony R1 are about the same price when I was at Funan today ($1410 - John against $1490- HN). Like them both because of the live-view and image stabilisation and both come with wide-angle lenses. Best of all, they have self-cleaning feature for the lense. The cost of adding the 40-150mm lense for the E330 is about the same as a tele-conversion lense of the Sony. I don't think of getting any more extra lenses other than the additional lenses mentioned above as it will cover all day-to-day usage hence the Sony is fine with the tele conversion lense.

From Dpreview, the Sony R1 is far suprior (I guess image-wise ) to the E330 and even better than my Canon 350D. I only use my 350D mainly in Auto or P mode and basically just PnS. The results seems ok. The speed is fantastic so is the other 2 cameras. If I get either the E330 or R1, I'll probably use the LCD mainly as I am more comfortable with it and can shoot at any angle.

I do not want to post this thread in the Olympus or Sony section as I will get all negative feedback on each other's brand. Can anyone with experience in the above cameras give me some advise as to which one I should get. The guy at John 3.16 did ask me to wait for the Fuji S5 Pro which also have a colour live-view (30 secs which is enough). It also comes with the same low-light and face detection technology used in the F31fd. I may not even need to buy a flash too.

Forgot to mention, I only shoot using the finest JPEG mode and never bother with RAW format. After shooting, I just remove the CF card and use Photoshop Element 4 and just let the software correct all images using the quick-fix feature. Rarely print any of my photos. Basically, I'm just an amatuer (PnS type) who just want a relatively fast camera.

Forgot to mention, I only shoot using the finest JPEG mode and never bother with RAW format. After shooting, I just remove the CF card and use Photoshop Element 4 and just let the software correct all images using the quick-fix feature. Rarely print any of my photos. Basically, I'm just an amatuer (PnS type) who just want a relatively fast camera.

so what's deficient with the canon 350D? is it the lens selection? As far as image quality, i doubt you will be able to tell the qlty diff betw the canon/oly/sony in jpg format. but if you want convenience with all-in-one, then the sony it is. i don't think the oly will offer you anything more significant than ur canon.

Since you already have 350D, I think what you need is a ultra zoom prosumer like Canon S3. If you don't need the zoom, I would get a good compact PnS like Pany LX2, very handy.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Cheers.

I have the R1 first, liked the live-view very much. Later sold it to get a e330 since the olympus is a DSLR with live-view.
Regretted it and sold the olympus and bought another R1.

The olympus live-view simply pales compared to the R1.

So if want to use the lcd on the cam, buy the R1.

Would like to thank all three fellow members for their comments. I checked with my nephew who also have an E330 and saw some of the photos that were printed and they looks very sharp even for those taken indoor. He also shoot them in P mode and let the camera do the rest. Hence I got the E330 instead of the R1 for the following reasons:

1. The E330 cost $1410 (including 1G ultra fast cf card) fron John 3:16. Fanstastic service.

2. Walk over to Olympus at High St. Ctr and claimed my free Lowepro Compudaypack.

3. Got the spare battery ($99) and the 40-150mm lense for $199 only.

4. Total for E330 = $1735 inc GST.

5. The R1 would have cost me $500 more with the tele-converter. The flash will cost more than the Olympus if decide to get one.

6. Did consider the S3 IS with additional wide-angle converter (about $980) but found the size to be slightly smaller than E330 with the kit lense. Rather just carry the E330 and leave the 40-150mm at home and save the $950. Also the R1 by itself is just too big to carry around.

7. I did consider the Canon G7 but still prefer a camera with a grip like G6 or S3.

8. Like the big and easy to read text in the E330 lcd screen. I have to use a reading glass for the 350D when lighting is not too good. Also the self-cleaning feature is fantastic. These are very important deciding factors.

9. The menu is much easier to use than the 350D. Eg., can delete photos without going through the menu and the Scene mode comes with many picture samples to choose from the LCD. Ideal for amateur like me.

10. Have just tested some shots on both 350D and E330 on P modes. The E330 look just a little sharper maybe it's still very new.

Waiting to attend the free lesson in early Jan.

Status
Not open for further replies.