Olympus OMD E-M5 Mk ii Hands-on Review

Here are 2 images of the E-M5 Mkii next to the OM4T. You can see where the OMD gets their inspiration from with the Mkii looking more like it's film ancestors because of the lack of a data port. But like it's film ancestors, the hump tends to be scratched quite easily. You might want to put gaffer tape if you like your equipment in tip top condition (visually). I prefer letting it have battle scars.

15892384614_ebcd3cbe07_h.jpg

15892384294_d9377c4675_h.jpg

Any comparison on how does E-M5 mk2 compare with E-P5? Also the AF accuracy between E-M1, E-M5 mk2 & E-P5?

Any comparison on how does E-M5 mk2 compare with E-P5? Also the AF accuracy between E-M1, E-M5 mk2 & E-P5?

I didn't do any comparisons, but fro usage, it's fast an accurate even when compared against the E-M1

EM5/EM1 are similar, I do find it snappier than EP5.

Some street shots using EM5, one thing I realise after using quite many generations of tilt screens of Oly m43 cameras, I've gotten used to using it to tilt and touch AF for quick street snaps without anyone noticing. However, with swivel, first it takes about 2 seconds to turn and flip the screen before I can touch AF, and certainly the screen is swivelled outwards hence becomes noticeable to onlookers. Apart from this instance, the swivel screen is a wonderful addition to EM5, but do note if using L brackets, it may obstruct the full 180 flip out of the screen. Some instances which the swivel is really useful...selfie, tilt and swivel to an angle that's viewable without sun's glare, shoot portrait mode on ground level (shooting plants, cats, animals etc).

Here's some street shots:

With new weather sealed 14-150 f4-5.6II @ ISO200, 150mm, 1/80s, F7.1

With new weather sealed 14-150 f4-5.6II @ ISO200, 14mm, 1/13s, F5.6

With new weather sealed 14-150 f4-5.6II @ ISO200, 67mm, 1/60s, F6.3

With the sharp olympus 75mm F1.8 at F1.8, ISO200, 1/250s.

Last edited:
Did some test on hot pixels on a 2 minute shot

Olympus 9-18mm F4-5.6, @ F6.3, IS0100, 123sec. Just a couple of fine specks which is hardly visible, this shot was done after several long exposure shot, so the camera was a little hot by this shot. So hot pixel is hardly an issue. Some editing was done using lightroom but nothing on hot pixels. Long exposure noise reduction was turned on.

Last edited:
The new weather sealed 14-150mm F4-5.6II lens, a comparison at widest and tele end.

Both at F6.3, on a stable clamp, OOC jpeg.

@14mm

@150mm (zoomed to middle of frame)

Conclusion

At the end of the review, there should come a conclusion. Would I recommend this camera? Yes I will, will I recommend people upgrade to this camera? Yes and no.

Yes if your camera is pretty old like pre E-M5 models or if you shoot a lot of videos or do videos on the side or for a living. But no if you have an E-M1, E-M10 or even the E-M5 and don't use functions like Live Comp.

Nothing much to really complain about, the camera is as good as it gets though of course there's always room for improvements but for now, no complaints. Buttons are a little small but can't be helped because the camera is small. I still want the option to choose 11 AF points instead of so many AF points. Handheld and full TTL flash or flash with non Olympus manual flash to work with Hi Res shooting will be great.

Conclusion

At the end of the review, there should come a conclusion. Would I recommend this camera? Yes I will, will I recommend people upgrade to this camera? Yes and no.

Yes if your camera is pretty old like pre E-M5 models or if you shoot a lot of videos or do videos on the side or for a living. But no if you have an E-M1, E-M10 or even the E-M5 and don't use functions like Live Comp.

Nothing much to really complain about, the camera is as good as it gets though of course there's always room for improvements but for now, no complaints. Buttons are a little small but can't be helped because the camera is small. I still want the option to choose 11 AF points instead of so many AF points. Handheld and full TTL flash or flash with non Olympus manual flash to work with Hi Res shooting will be great.

Love your guys' review,really help me in my decision,guess i will wait for em1mk 2 if it ever releases.

Love your guys' review,really help me in my decision,guess i will wait for em1mk 2 if it ever releases.

Hey, glad it helps.

I do agree with Spidey's conclusion, if current IBIS, resolution, video capabilities is good enough, it's hardly a need for a change. EM1/EM5's IBIS is already top notch. If you can work around the limitations of the hi res, which I think I would be keen to use it for panorama work, I think it's a good upgrade for me. I will also need to take a look at the Raw's when it's ready on lightroom to see if it slows down my machine too :)