Olympus OM-D E-M5 : First Impressions

Yea, can't bring it along with my trip. Maybe I'll just get the 25mm f0.94 first :gbounce::gbounce:

congrs to TS.
u made me regret not gettin the pre-order

LoL, will hv to go on monday...lol

Olympus OM-D E-M5 (chrome) matched with the M.Zuiko Digital 12mm 1:2.0

Has it arrived? Is M.Zuiko Digital 12mm..come as a bundle?

Has it arrived? Is M.Zuiko Digital 12mm..come as a bundle?
I'm afraid not. I just managed to get my hands on the set for review, but haven't had the time to take it out of a spin yet...

The Olympus OM-D E-M5 comes in black or chrome, and available in body only or kit together with the M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-50 mm f3.5-6.3 EZ (in the respective colour). I understand that the pre-ordered sets will be available in the middle of april. You can read more about here - http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four...s-its-latest-micro4-3-camera-lenses-om-d.html

i thought it comes in either black or silver? how come you mention chrome???

Some sample shots, Out of Camera JPEGs, full res available :

Olympus OM-D E-M5 M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ

Caveat : This is based on a Pre-Production model.

More sample shots, Out of Camera JPEGs, full res available :

Last few sample shots, Out of Camera JPEGs, full res available :

Olympus OM-D E-M5 M.Zuiko Digital 12mm 1:2.0

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikkor Micro AF 60mm f2.8D

Final "initial" thoughts...

First, the caveat that this is based on a pre-production unit of the Olympus OM-D E-M5. Often, these are still to be optimized, which can be done through firmware updates, and the finishing may not be up to full production specifications yet. With this in mind...

Design – the design of the OM-D is likely what has drawn the most attention to the E-M5. Its retro styling, available in both black and silver, brings back memories the old OM SLR-stylings. The mode selector has been relocated to the far side of the body, allowing for the rear and front dials thumb and finger dials, similar to that provided in higher-end DSLRs. The same 2 fingers can also conveniently access the movie record, review, Fn1 and Fn2 buttons. The 4-way button as well as the review and Fn2 buttons appeared a little soft on the pre-production unit, but hopefully that'll be fixed up together with the waterproofing on the production units.

LCD and EVF – The tilt 3” OLED rear LCD is great, which also incorporates touchscreen focusing point shooting. However, I did not like that the LCD was suppose to be pulled out from the top, implication of which is that in order to tilt it upwards, you are suppose to pull it out from the top first, then pull the bottom for it to face upwards. Yes, you can tilt it upwards by directly pulling out the bottom, but it's slightly harder as the mechanics of it is not designed that way. The 1.44M dot EVF boast a high refresh rate, and while the resolution is good with customizable display, I still found it to lag ever so slightly. But this is more obviously when taking pictures of moving objects, e.g. kids.

5-axis IS and AF – To me, the in-camera image stabilizer is the largest plus point for the E-M5, and the Olympus M43 bodies in general. Many would find this feature useful, from mounting native Olympus M.Zuiko lenses, to other M43 native lenses, and lenses of other mounts via adaptors. The AF is fast, as advertised... while not proven via an AF faceoff. While face detection is not for everyone, the availability of a well implemented face detection option (with left-eye, right-eye, or intelligent priority) is also good to have. Incidentally, the improved 3D AF tracking should help "track" down some of those kids shots...

ISO performance – Again, the caveat that this based on a pre-production firmware, but one can imagine that there can only be upside to the results here. Mind you, what is “acceptable” varies from individual to individual, but results show good high ISO performance all the up to ISO1600-ISO3200. But there'll inevitably be the lost of some micro detail and contrast, but the images still look pretty clean and useable.

The direct comparisons will likely be the Panasonic GX1 and possibly the Fujifilm Xpro-1 (although the price points are quite different), each of which brings something different to the table. But the E-M5 does make a strong case with its 16MP Live MOS sensor, new TruePic VI image processor, high ISO performance, 5-axis (in-body) IS, dustproof and splashproof-ability, compatibility with a large array of lenses (some via adaptors), and its retro-stylings.

A final note, while the Olympus E-M5 has pretty much matched the Olympus E-5 in terms of image performance, I look forward to more to the M43 lineup from Olympus. Further, I can't wait to see how this camera paired with the rumoured M.Zuiko 75mm f1.8. This continues the build on the 12mm and 45mm towards a strong M.Zuiko lineup of prime lenses. I eagerly hope for and wait for developments of a fast 17mm and a 25mm (roughly 35mm and 50mm on 35mm equivalent) to the line-up.

ClubSNAP will be turning 10 this Apr and we will be organising a host of activities at Singapore Art Museum on 21 Apr(sat) and 22 Apr(sun).

There will be talks and Workshops (free) at 2 locations at SAM and 8Q at SAM. Olympus Singapore will be show casing their latest camera and accessories for all to test and try out.

There will be OM-D and other oly cameras for participants of the photowalks to try too. GO TRY FIRST HAND at the OM-D Olympus Booth rather than just talk and read about it here in the forum

Limited edition of ClubSNAP t-shirts will be available for sale on this 2 days

So keep the 21 and 22 Apr 2012 free.

In case Anyone miss the other thread registration is now open for the Phototalks and Walk here:

Anniversary - Talks

Anniversary - Walks

Register fast before the capacity is filled.

BE PART OF THIS CELEBRATION !!!

:cheergal::cheergal::cheergal:

8 sets of the OM-D will be available THIS WEEKEND during the morning Photowalks this saturday and sunday .... there should be enough for everyone to have a fair go at it ..... Olympus goodie bag included

About 2 slots left for Saturday
About 10+ slots left for Sunday

Register Here

Last edited:
142954876.jpg

Only Moments - Digital
The OM-D is a groundbreaking, new digital interchangeable lens camera perfect for people who want to“take part,” “create,” and “share.”

142954874.jpg

I was fortunate to obtain a loan set from Olympus Singapore.
142954875.jpg

142954878.jpg

The Verdict: A breath-taking experience. The OM-D allowed me to focus on seeing, on capturing and experiencing life through photography.

142954882.jpg

Thank You Olympus.

Holy crap! I just bought the OM-D E-M5 today. Bought the silver one. Guess what... the kit lens is black!!!!!!!!!! WTF!

Err... It's black lens REGARDLESS silver or black camera you brought , silver lens I saw once at the recent PC show , not out yet officially .
So no worries