Olympus OM-D E-M10 Preview

spidey89

Staff member
Jun 6, 2007
South Western Singapore
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Preview *pre-production firmware
12207126946_5bb77d198c_c.jpg

Olympus OM-D E-M10, the newest member of the micro four thirds family. This mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera conforms to the Micro Four Thirds System standard, and features a luxuriously metal body, equipped with a large electronic viewfinder that has bright and clear visibility and offer excellent image quality.

With cutting-edge technology crafted into a compact and lightweight body, the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M10 is the latest Olympus mirrorless interchangeable lens camera in the OM-D series. The OLYMPUS OM-D E-M10 inherits the 16 megapixel Live MOS sensor and TruPic VII image processor from its high-range OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 and OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 cousins for its excellent image quality, high-resolution, and high-sensitivity. This model features an ultra-slim design with an excellent operability, combined with a quick response, high-resolution electronic viewfinder for an authentic shooting style. This "SUPER PREMIUM SMALL" high-performance mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera surpasses most high-end models with unparalleled design features.

Main Features Details

1. Premium ultra-slim stylish body

Having an interchangeable lens camera packed into an ultra-slim compact and light-weight body makes the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M10 an appealing photographic tool. When the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ world's slimmest2 standard zoom lens is attached (which launches at the same time), the thickness is a mere approx. 64mm, making this nearly as slim and compact as an ultra-compact DSLR body. Despite this ultra-slim body, OLYMPUS OM-D E-M10 features two dials for excellent controls, giving it exceptional operability comparable to high-end models. In addition to the solid feel of two metal dials, the grip is designed to fit perfectly in your hands, and the viewfinder located on the optical axis makes this camera easy to hold, look through and provides intuitive controls. When looking at the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M10, the sparkle of the precision-machined parts exudes through the metal body, highlighting the feel of both strength and sharpness, and delivers a premium feel that goes beyond any class of camera. This beautiful camera will make you want to take it with you everywhere, bringing you joy and providing inspiration to capture any scene perfectly and beautifully

2. Excellent image quality due to traditional optical and advanced image processing technology

The ZUIKO lens is born out of optical technology cultivated over Olympus' long and rich history. The 16 megapixel Live MOS sensor brings out the best in ZUIKO depictive power, rich tonal reproductions as well as high-sensitivity performance. Fused with the TruePic VII image processor inherited from the flagship model OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1, the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M10 achieves the best image quality in the DSLR class

3. Large. bright Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) offers quick response time and clear visibility

This ultra-compact model is equipped with a built-in high-powered and high-resolution Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) taken from the high-end OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5, a feat that is not possible on base models. This large and clearly visible viewfinder features a magnification rate of approximately 1.15x, viewfinder coverage of approximately 100%, and provides powerful support when photographing moving subjects with its OM-D series quick response. The viewfinder is also equipped with Cat's Eye Control used on the flagship OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 EVF, providing a natural view in the viewfinder. Powerful image stabilisation makes accurate focusing possible, and when coupled with numerous features such as exposure compensation, the ability to check lighting and colour balance effects in the EVF, it is now possible to shoot using the EVF to obtain the exact results you have in mind.

4. 3-axis VCM in-body image stabilisation mechanism brings out the very best in every lens
The OLYMPUS OM-D E-M10 is equipped with the same VCM image stabilisation mechanism as on the flagship model OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1. With the newly developed 3-axis VCM image stabilisation mechanism designed to be compact and lightweight, image stabilisation is performed in three axes; horizontal and vertical angular blur, and optical rotational blur that cannot be corrected for with in-lens image stabilisation. With 3.5 steps4 of stabilisation effects, the viewfinder image is stabilised and excellent stabilisation performance is realised for all lenses.

5. 81-point FAST AF and 8 fps (TBD) max. high-speed sequential shooting to capture the moment
This model is equipped with 81-point FAST AF and 8 fps high-speed sequential shooting that rivals the performance of the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 flagship model. Target AF is able to instantly focus on any subject within the area no matter how small, accurately covering a wide area of the screen. Super Spot AF enables the ultimate in pinpoint AF, Eye-detection AF automatically focuses on eyes for portrait photography, and the FAST AF system is even more advanced than ever for quick AF that exceeds Phase detection AF.

Other Features

1. 16mp Four Thirds CMOS Sensor with TruePic VII processing engine
2. Built-in Wi-Fi expands possibilities for easy sharing and various remote functions for more enjoyable photos
2. Built-in high-performance flash for 1/250 sec (with RC flash capability).
3. High-resolution touch tilting LCD monitor for shooting at a various angles
4. Live Composite lets anyone easily capture light trails when capturing shots of stars
5. Photo & Movie Capture lets you capture high-quality still images without interrupting movie recording
6. The ultimate iAUTO has advanced to automatically detect subject movement
7. Olympus Art Filter and PHOTO STORY expands the realm of imaging expression
8. Focus peaking
9. Shoots videos at full HD 1080/30p in MOV format up to 24Mbps

12206507805_f12396e974_c.jpg
12206911844_c907238a1f_c.jpg

12206911744_8745df0ddf_c.jpg
12206912424_c5d56d6cd5_c.jpg

The new 14-42mm pancake lens works when there's power provided, removing it when it's operational will leave the lens in its opened state. It features and electronic zoom. The speed which it zooms can be controlled in the camera menu. The auto lens cap is made only for this lens and it doesn't require users to remove it, it'll automatically open and close when the lens set to the shooting or storage setting.
12206910394_c449f7bcf3_c.jpg
12206506155_4485255456_c.jpg

The back of the camera has a pretty good grip and one handed operations are possible though the on switch might be a little hard to flip one handed. The camera also has an AF assist light which personally, is huge plus point!
12206506765_de4cd66219_c.jpg
12206911044_1b8ddb7569_c.jpg

Last edited:
The relatively big evf refreshes really fast! I don't see any lag when shooting. Beside the EVF is the little flash pop up button that might be an issue for people with thumbs that are on the bigger side, like mine hahah
12206506615_c2830a46af_c.jpg

The side of the camera includes a micro HDMI and and a USB connector to connect to the computer or the TV. Unfortunately for people who do serious video work, there's no microphone in or headphone out.
12206734433_7934079730_c.jpg

Landscape photographers rejoice! Tripod socket is in alignment with the lens, good for pano shooting!
12206909054_d8acfac87c_c.jpg

For all those wondering about the size of the camera, Wonglp has a picture of it in my hand, those who know me personally know how big I am, and have a rough gauge of my palms size (similar to Caucasians). But for ease of viewing, here is it compared to an EZLink card. It's really a small and compact camera!
12207123266_9ea468c8f6_c.jpg
12206732223_43ea6c7595_c.jpg

Last edited:
Man, why now??? But somehow I think a retailer will still be getting my money for the Fuji XT-1 before I get to try this...

Wonglp has a picture of it in my hand, those who know me personally know how big I am, and have a rough gauge of my palms size (similar to Caucasians). But for ease of viewing, here is it compared to an EZLink card. It's really a small and compact camera!

Here it is, E-M10 on a big hand (spidey's).

Here's E-M10 on mine, rather small hands.

Man, why now??? But somehow I think a retailer will still be getting my money for the Fuji XT-1 before I get to try this...
Heard that it will be in stores quite fast like maybe mid to end next month. XT1 and E-M10 are 2 different categories, XT1 is pitched against E-M1.

Last edited:
Will be cross posting on Spidey's thread as well as we both had a set of preproduction E-M10 to test for last weekend.

Some images to show the E-M10 vs other Olympus cameras.

E-M10 (left) vs Olympus Pen E-P5+VF4. One of the "issues" about the E-P5 is once you mount the VF4, it becomes very tall due to the bulge of the VF4, as can see the height of E-P5+VF4 is substantially higher, this makes putting E-P5+VF4 inside small bags a problem, often not, the VF4 needs to be removed. The E-M10 is pitched as a premium small OMD, the metal body+leatherette finishing makes it a better feel than even E-M5 (the grip feels plasticky), the E-M5 elite though sports a similar finishing now as the E-M10. My E-P5 has a "Aki-Asahi" leatherette skin so it looks different finishing.

E-M10 has an optional grip ECG-1, unfortunately, we didn't receive it for review, however, both Spidey and myself had a feel of it, it feels great on both our hands (big and small), so it should work well on most hands, we believe. And ingeniously the grip has a quick release for battery and SD card change. And it's not a battery grip anymore like HLD-6 of E-M5, so for some who just solely wants a better grip for heavier lenses would rejoice. For those who wants battery grip like HLD-6 though would feel left out, but there's always E-M5. I believe that's how Olympus segregates this 2 cameras.

nr140129em10_05.jpg

Here's E-M10 (left) vs E-M5 elite (which has improved grip finishing vs standard E-M5). The E-M10 while shorter and less wide, also has a built in flash unlike E-M5, as it's non weather-sealed so implementing the flash would be easier.

Attachments

• $nr140129em10_05.jpg
    $nr140129em10_05.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 6
Here's an extremely short clip straight out of camera, shot with the recently announced M.Zuiko Digital 9mm f8 fisheye body cap lens

I shot if from chest level using the tilt screen.

[video=youtube;29H1O5Ua7EY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29H1O5Ua7EY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Looks perfect! Has flash, has AF assist light, is compact....what's not to like about it? Only thing is not weatherproof. But that's not a significant concern for me as I very rarely need weather proofing. How does the shutter sound? Is it as sexy as the EM1 or does it sound like the EM5?

Here's E-M10 (left) vs E-M5 elite (which has improved grip finishing vs standard E-M5). The E-M10 while shorter and less wide, also has a built in flash unlike E-M5, as it's non weather-sealed so implementing the flash would be easier.

The E3, E5 also had flash and were weather sealed. I think that its not a technical reason or the main reason for Olympus but more likely a marketing reason not to make EM10 weather sealed.

Colour OOC jpeg compared to calibrated processed raw from Olympus E-P1. Both were shot at the same settings with flash and custom white balance
12236724953_e284fa4482_h.jpg

Image stabilizer was effective
12236724353_30a4dabf37_h.jpg

Those who are concerned with the noise, here's a compiled image, click to see the original size. Please keep in mind that the sets were loaded with pre-production firmware

Do note that all pictures are out of camera jpegs, all images were shot with the new 14-42mm pancake lens

The view of the water from the entrance, ooc HDR mode 1
12237121886_3981dcd726_c.jpg

This way to the guest house
12236543765_239b0322bd_c.jpg

Bright yellow plants
12236542395_84bdd6f9e7_c.jpg

Pretending to be a tourist and shooting the structure
12236541965_370e82a656_c.jpg

Red ear pond slider
12236541515_23917a3c3a_c.jpg

Do note that all pictures are out of camera jpegs, all of these photos were shot with the new 14-42 pancake lens

A couple across the water
12236727923_bf2942d974_c.jpg

The same couple crossing the bridge, used the pop art art filter
12237118526_8fc9850603_c.jpg

The same couple walking away from me, shot with grainy film art filter
12237117856_79e3d44b8e_c.jpg

Crossing the red bridge!
12236538545_3a899f1a8b_c.jpg

When there's a will, there's a way, plants live by this rule everyday
12236958754_0b09b80d40_c.jpg

The E3, E5 also had flash and were weather sealed. I think that its not a technical reason or the main reason for Olympus but more likely a marketing reason not to make EM10 weather sealed.

Yes, It's a marketing decision to allow more choices for customers who doesn't need the EM5 weather-sealed capabilities yet has the outstanding features in the OMD lineup. As for the flash, I should check with Oly team on it. Happy Chinese New Year! Huat Arh!

A sunrise shoot.7 shots stitched, each frame using HD mode 1.

The pancake kit zoom bokeh

Thanks Wong and Spidey for the sharing :) a lot of poison here. I'm definitely down for the 25/1.8 & the EM10 looks like a really good replacement if I am to sell my spare body.

Very poisonous. So many superb mirrorless offerings. Could you guys comment on the long exposure performance of this one, as this has long been a sore point for m4/3?

Very poisonous. So many superb mirrorless offerings. Could you guys comment on the long exposure performance of this one, as this has long been a sore point for m4/3?

Haven't tested very long (>1 min), but as the engine is similar to E-M1, I doubt there's much improvement. Hot pixels being the main issue if shooting more than 1 minute shots, and long exposure noise reduction has to be turned on just as before to reduce hot pixels.

A new feature though "Live Composite" which I hope to test it if we get the review set. "Live" as it will preview periodically the progress of the shot on the screen, and composite will help to stack the images together, that perhaps might help get around hot pixels issues and star trail should be fun with this feature too!

A few with the pancake kit lens

One thing about this lens is that it's only electronic zoom, you can set the speed normal or fast in the menu. I chose fast as normal is really quite slow (like point and shoot). Fast is pretty fast (about 1sec) though using manual zoom lens can be even faster.

I actually wanted to test the E-M10 3 axis IBIS, but forgot I was using the E-M5 elite version instead as the E-M10 battery was out of juice. Anyways, 1/8sec, 36mm on the 14-42mm lens. So this shot is more to show 14-42mm lens.