Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Hands on Preview. SG F1 PHOTOS INCLUDED

wonglp

Staff member
Jul 20, 2007
Bukit Batok
Following the announcement of the launch of new flagship top of the range of OM-D, E-M1 worldwide, ClubSNap had a chance to review a pre-production set, so do take note on this.

For full specifications , kindly review to here.

OM-D refers to the range of Olympus camera that uses the micro Four thirds platform and has it's roots back to the SLR days of OM series cameras, taking a lot of the design philosophy, generally the target market is to more serious amateurs. E-M1 is the successor to the popular OMD E-M5 camera.

What this preview will cover:
- new functionalities (color creator, HDR, timelapse, EVF etc)
- Dual AF system (hopefully will get some 43 super high grade lenses with adapter for a spin)
- shoot in the rain ?
- IQ vs EP5 since it's an improved imaging sensor
- new 12-40mm F2.8 PRO weatherproof lens
- Video (spidey89 will be reviewing on this)
etc.

We will be shooting with E-M1 at Crossing Bridges 10 event next week to fully test this as well.

First reaction when I held it was the amount of customization available and substantial weight increase (due to lens and body) . E-M1 grip does make it look like one of the Olympus E-520 DSLR. The grip helps to balance the camera with heavy lens, and I'm sure same goes for the Four Thirds DSLR lenses, which is the intention of E-M1, to combine the best Zuiko lenses with the portability of m43 when needed. This is also a step up in terms of ergonomics to E-M5, which needs an optional HLD-6 (read expensive, extra cost) which comes in 2 piece to give the same ergonomics. There's now an optional battery grip HLD-7 to fit E-M1.

Here's a quick photo comparison between the Pen E-P5 & E-M1. E-M1 is actually shorter than Pen E-P5 (with VF4), which can be rather awkward inside smaller bags.

A thick strap with large logo E-M1 is also given does makes this camera look more like mini DSLR

Last edited:
Reactions: daredevil123
Looking good...

ho ho..

camping here for more info..

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks all, hope I can update fast enough, pretty busy weeks ahead! :)

A friend ask me when he knew about this, is this a "chio" (pretty) camera? Answer was "no, Olympus Pen is chio, this one is handsome" :bsmilie:

Some thinks it's ugly, some thinks the grip is great, some thinks it's too heavy. Whichever camp you belongs to, certainly eyes of the beholder. This camera is meant to be the bridge between Four Thirds Camera System and Micro Four Third cameras, so the grip is essential for heavy lens, try holding this lens on a small Pen body for a day even with the new 12-40/2.8 would strain the hand. Comparing this with E-M5 which hasn't got a decent grip (to be fair, it wasn't even meant to couple with the FT HG/SHG lenses due to slow AF). And you need to pay >$300 for a decent handgrip which was part of 2 pc of the optional handgrip, there wasn't a choice to buy just handgrip unless 3rd party. The ergonomics of the HLD-6 grip for EM5 was good but the button design was a fair bit difficult to access. In this E-M1, the overall ergonomics was great even for my smallish hands.

Here's a shot of how HLD-7 + E-M1 looks like. 15/8 body cap lens on it, does make it look a wee bit cuter :)

Some thinks "why use Four Thirds DSLR lenses that so heavy on a m43 body (system) and compromise on the weight & portability that m43 system is all about?" I would think
- FT HG/SHG ("holy grail & super holy grail") lenses are some of the finest made glasses from Oly etc. 7-14, 12-60SWD, 50-200SWD, 14-35F2.0, 35-100F2 , 150/2.8, 90-250F2.8. There isn't a way to focus fast enough with them until now.
- Though Olympus mZD 75/1.8 or 60/2.8 mFT lenses are as fine a glass as FT lenses, its not weatherproof and not a zoom.
- limited lens range for fast zoom.
- some just like it big as they have big hands (like Spidey89, so his views on ergonomics of this camera with heavier lenses would be fitting)

The line is thinning though with some exciting mFT lenses that will be launched like 40-150/f2.8, and if the Em1 is able to focus as well/fast for tracking, it would be really a combo to behold. On Panasonic camp as well there are some exciting lenses rumored, plus Sigma had been churning out some good mFT lenses. So in all much to rejoice for micro 43 camp.

Last edited:
Seriously, this camera has so much customizations that I lost count, had to recount again. It's 9 in total, and with the 2 x 2 dial control you extend to another 4 (ISO, WB, Bracketing, Flash compensation)! Oh, and if you use it with 12-40/2.8 lens, there's a L-Fn which is also customization, I use it as MF/AF, neat feature (though I think it's from Samsung camp):)

Top right - Fn1, Fn2, Rec button (all customizable)

Front camera 2 buttons

Top left - HDR/Burst mode & AF mode/metering - the settings is change with front and rear dial.

Rear - 4 directional button (2 are customizable - Right & Down), although I left it at default which is really useful to move AF box around, great for recomposing.

There's so much of possible combination, it's good to have a think through before setting it, the time spent to figure that will be worthwhile.

Before we get down to the more mundane review stuff, perhaps some shots to show the Hi ISO? Noise Filter is OFF, Jpeg, No change to saturation, contrast or sharpness. Picture mode is Vivid. What do you think? to see hi res, click on picture and right click to see the largest file

ISO 8000, with Olympus 12-40/2.8 @F2.8, 1/80s

ISO 6400, with Olympus 12-40/2.8 @F2.8, 1/60s

Eye crop of earlier shot. it does look cleaner than E-P5/E-M5 by perhaps a stop or so.

ISO1600, with Olympus 75/1.8 @ 1.8, 1/160s

Last edited:
I'm helping Wonglp with his review, so to add on to this, would be the color accuracy.

OlympusOMDE-M1ComparisonColor.jpg

On the left is the E-M1 and on the right was shot with my old E-P1. The E-P1 had the color profile made for it in post and the accuracy is there, white balance was done in post using the neutral grey as well. Both images were metered with a light meter. The E-M1 had custom white balance applied before the image was taken and a standard profile was selected in camera. The OOC jpeg from the OMD is pretty close to the target though not as saturated as the profiled shot. Having taken a photo with the vivid setting, it is closer to the profiled shot though.

The video review will be up as soon as I've shot the clips I need and processed them. But from my extremely brief handson, it looks like it's capable enough to do what I would normally shoot it for, and now with the benefit of having fast autofocus with 4/3 lenses, make it all the more better. I'm sure those with manual lenses would also appreciate it.

Last edited:
Does the E-M1 menu system allow for software switching on and off the lens IS of Lumix lenses that do not have a built-in ISon/ISoff switch on the side of the lens barrel?

e.g. Lumix 45 to 150 ƒ4/5.6

I'm helping Wonglp with his review, so to add on to this, would be the color accuracy.

OlympusOMDE-M1ComparisonColor.jpg

On the left is the E-M1 and on the right was shot with my old E-P1. The E-P1 had the color profile made for it in post and the accuracy is there, white balance was done in post using the neutral grey as well. Both images were metered with a light meter. The E-M1 had custom white balance applied before the image was taken and a standard profile was selected in camera. The OOC jpeg from the OMD is pretty close to the target though not as saturated as the profiled shot. Having taken a photo with the vivid setting, it is closer to the profiled shot though.

The video review will be up as soon as I've shot the clips I need and processed them. But from my extremely brief handson, it looks like it's capable enough to do what I would normally shoot it for, and now with the benefit of having fast autofocus with 4/3 lenses, make it all the more better. I'm sure those with manual lenses would also appreciate it.
Cool, looks like em1 is pretty accurate.

Does the E-M1 menu system allow for software switching on and off the lens IS of Lumix lenses that do not have a built-in ISon/ISoff switch on the side of the lens barrel?

Will check and revert! Cheers

Ergonomics and design

One of the things about EM1 vs EM5 is the integrated grip on EM1. On EM5, the HLD-6 top piece is handgrip, the fn and record button were rather hard to reach especially for smaller/shorter fingers. So this is a good improvement on ergonomics, and certainly the bigger grip would be useful for heavier lens, it feels very balanced to have EM1 coupled with 12-40. The Oly 12-40/2.8 may pose a problem on prolonged usage on Pen cameras/ GF series if there's no proper (or optional) grip. Certainly we haven't even tried it on four thirds lenses yet.

Certainly this applies to me, I don't have big hands. Spidey89 did try the EM1 himself, it doesn't hold do as well on his hands than mine, but his hands are huge :bigeyes::bsmilie: So it's certainly best way is to hold & test it in stores or Olympus service centre, they may have it.

Most operations on EM1 can be one handed, except for some, they may find it weird to see the power switch to be on the left side of the camera, so can't have one handed ops.

The directional keys are better than Em5, easier to depress.

Will it be possible to show the 12-40 mounted on the EP5 ? Burning up in curiousity here

Thanks !

Power on/off switch on LHS is good because user will not accidentally turn off his camera. It is actually good design.

If insist to place on the crowded right hand side, due to space constraint the switch will have to be compromised into a tiny button or slider. Once it is a small button among many other buttons/controls on RHS, user can accidentally punch it.

On the LHS, it can be a proper big sized lever.

There is not much need for one-handed operation because turning the camera on and off is only done at start and end of shoot/session.

May I know if focus peeking is available in Video mode?

Yes it is, I will have the video handling done after Crossing Bridges, and a sample video out in about 2 weeks

Power on/off switch on LHS is good because user will not accidentally turn off his camera. It is actually good design.

If insist to place on the crowded right hand side, due to space constraint the switch will have to be compromised into a tiny button or slider. Once it is a small button among many other buttons/controls on RHS, user can accidentally punch it.

On the LHS, it can be a proper big sized lever.

There is not much need for one-handed operation because turning the camera on and off is only done at start and end of shoot/session.

My habit is to turn off when not in use, and having used it most of the day today, I actually hate it being on the LHS because it made me miss some shots. But still, it's a personal preference as well as the face as stated, there's not enough space, it'll be crowded. But overall, the power switch size is an improvement over the E-M5

Will it be possible to show the 12-40 mounted on the EP5 ? Burning up in curiousity here

Thanks !

Don't have EM1/12-40 with me now it's with Spidey, will take one tmrw when we meet at Crossing Bridges event :)

Ok, just keeping this thread going while we are busy with CB10

A couple of shots all with Olympus E-M1 + 75/1.8, ooc jpeg. vivid mode. 0 sharpening. This is perhaps the best m43 lens coupled with EM1, the sharpness is pretty amazing. Can click the picture and choose to view in high res. It's certainly possible to get the shallow depth of field type of shots with this lens. On EM1 this lens is certainly well balanced as well.

Last edited:

I don't see this setting, the only one is Len IS priority On or Off, same as EP5. So I suppose it's not possible.

Thanks !

Sorry for delayed post, here you go, hope this is what u are looking for:)

Sorry for delayed post, here you go, hope this is what u are looking for:)

Thank you!

Now I've a clearer pic. A pic of the 14-54MKII and 12-35/2.8 mounted on the EM5 for a comparison of relative sizes.

1231311_574297339303579_691544960_n.jpg

Although this thread is meant for the E-M1, it might be nice to put a shot of E-M1 coupled with the (O)12-40/2.8 and then the (P)12-35/2.8 for comparison.

The overall grip/ergonomics, iso100 and 1/8000 is definitely very welcoming... The poison is lethal in this 1 (peers upon the FT glasses)...